Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Seriously Chia. We need wingers

Status
Not open for further replies.

North

Jun 25, 2009
It's pretty sad that we're basically at the point where absorbing a $19M cap hit over the next four years for him not play could be preferable than just playing him on the 4th or finding a way to dump him onto another team.

The reality is that getting rid of him even at 50% retained is the best option fiscally, but even then who would take him and I'm not sure how retained salary works on his goofy contract structure. But realistically would anyone even want him at $2.0-3.0M over the next four years. I doubt it.

Furthermore, due to ill advised buyout timing on Pouliot and Gryba's contract, they can only buyout one contract this summer and Spooner's contract may be the better option in terms of overall cap savings.

Line Lucic's uniform with itching powder and say he's "allergic" to it.

The only other option is retaining and parting with a significant asset in order to get him gone and I'm not sure our prospect pool can afford to lose anyone at this point.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
No, just minimal cap savings. If you feel a league min player could be more effective in the line-up than Looch then it makes sense to buy him out.
Just saying but the cap-savings on 2 of his buy-out years ($375K savings) isn't even enough for a league minimum salary ($700K starting next year).

I suspect we will end up getting Seattle to take him for a fairly decent amount of compensation in a little more than a years time, the cap penalty is just a huge impediment to us being able to ice a competitive roster.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
No, just minimal cap savings. If you feel a league min player could be more effective in the line-up than Looch then it makes sense to buy him out.
If a league minimum player makes more sense then you play a league minimum player over him. A buyout commits you to that dead cap space and it stays there forever. By keeping him on the active roster there's a small chance that you can either LTIR him or potentially find a way of getting out of that contract either via trade or a compliance buyout down the road.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
not sure if this was posted in this thread or not but I want to mention it:

So they say that Carolina is getting ready to pull the trigger on some deals. Imo this is early, but they are rapidly approaching the point where they will try to sell guys, when hope of making the POs fade.

I have to say, they have several puck moving RHD and there is no excuse at all for the Oilers not to be favorites to get one. We have the advantage because we are in the West, whereas the rumored linked teams are in the East. The only issue is the assets that we would offer. There are Leaf fans who say that an expanded Nylander trade could be a thing, but that's just dumb. But, someone like Kapanen could be involved, but we have some interesting young players too such as Yamamoto. We'd have to consider RNH as well, if it's Hamilton.

I get that a lot of posters don't want to give up something that seems integral to our future, but we are desperate for a PMD like what Carolina has, and whoever gets that player from Carolina is going to give up something good. Just accept it and pay the price.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
it would be exciting to get a forward, but not sure who that would be. If it's someone with term, then Duchene's out.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Can we please get a real pp Dman that can move the puck first? This team has been lacking that forever. I know we need wingers bad but let’s try and build from the D out first for once....

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I'd wait to see if TB wins the SC and loses it's 1st. Then I would offer up our 1st in a package for Gourde

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->