Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Post Deadline, Trades For Next Season and Beyond If/When We are Out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Columbus will retain Duchene, paying out the rear end if they have to because they're probably losing Panarin and Bob and spent a lot to get Duchene, so they'll have cap to spend on him.

Reactions: mullet

scotchtapejr

Dec 28, 2018
I think Columbus will retain Duchene, paying out the rear end if they have to because they're probably losing Panarin and Bob and spent a lot to get Duchene, so they'll have cap to spend on him.

Yeah, I think they'll definitely try to re-sign him but I'm not sure they should.

Duchene has 1 point in his last 5 games and is a -4 with 13 shots averaging around 19 minutes a game. It's pretty sad.

Plus if they re-sign him they give up there 2020 1st as well... with a roster sans Panarin and Bob, I'm not sure thats a good idea. Thats potentially a shot at Alexis Lafrenriere they'd give up.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I wonder how available Ilya Samsonov would be this summer? Holtby and Copley are locked up.. We will need a back up for Koskinen and need to address our future in net. Just a thought.
Samsonov is not going to be available. Holtby is a UFA after next season and Caps fans don't think he'll be re-signed.

I think the org is pretty high on him too

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Avs fans said that they would do Kerfoot for a 2nd. He's an RFA this year, on pace for 40 points, same as last year. 24 years old, can play C or W. I would then try to sign him to a 4 million x 6 years deal.

Then, trade Pulju + Russell for Zucker.

Kassian - McDavid - Draisaitl
Zucker - Nuge - Gagner
Khaira - Kerfoot - Chiasson
Lucic - Cave - Rattie/Currie

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
I think he will be an interesting player to see how his career pans out as he gets older. Hes already not the best skater (and will likely decline) but you would think his hockey IQ will keep him relevant for a long time.

Hes 26.. they signed him until hes 34.. they should be ok.. at least for the first 6 years of that contract you would think. Maybe the last two we see some regression? Like you say.. it will be interesting to see how it all plays out for sure.

Or I guess those 8 years would be from 27 t0 35... so yeah your guess of 5 years makes sense. Definetely some risk involved.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Might not be popular but trading Klefbom for an upgrade would be my only D priority and only D move.
For depth 1 or 2 D from Bakersfield should suffice in a crunch. (Jones Bear etc.)

Money is a problem though.

Spend all efforts getting 1 prime winger is the most important of course.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Samsonov is not going to be available. Holtby is a UFA after next season and Caps fans don't think he'll be re-signed.

I think the org is pretty high on him too

The Caps are known for going with a 3 headed monsters until a goalie is ready to take over.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Sounds like we are in on at least on college FA.

It would be my bet the Oilers will be in for quite a few especially wingers. Heard we are after the UofA prospect as well can’t recall his name. Flames are as well but f*** the Flames.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
It would be my bet the Oilers will be in for quite a few especially wingers. Heard we are after the UofA prospect as well can’t recall his name. Flames are as well but **** the Flames.

How can you NOT recall his name? Bob basically spams his name a billion times a day on his twitter and on the radio:

Luke Philp

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Duchene brings more speed and goal scoring . A smart GM would have a deal in place for RNH . Then go after signing Duchene .

We would need to move cap and I can not see Lucic being traded for another 2 years . Once he has 3 years and 10 million left on his contract we can trade him 30% retained . Team gets Lucic for 7 million over 3 years and we open up 4,8 million in cap space .

GM needs to move 1 & 2 year dumps
Manning
Benning
Sekera if we can up grade
Russell again if we can upgrade

I don't get the love affair with Duchene. What exactly makes him $3M better than Hopkins? They both average the same points per game, except Duchene is a career -88 vs Hopkins being a -43. People on this board have made Hopkins their whipping boy at $6M, I can't even imagine what would happen to Duchene on here doing what Nuge does, worse defensively, and getting paid $3M more.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Don't mind it but I feel like Sekera's $5.5M is a bit wasteful on the 3rd pairing. In a perfect world we shed it to afford a top-4 RD and slide Russell to 3rd pairing. I also get the feeling LA asks for more, and I'm not sure if Johansson plays center regularly.
I would rather keep Sekera he is so good at moving the puck. Russell is the dman I would move in the off season and I would look at Benning also. I think Bear or Jones can replace him and do a better job and cheaper.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Might not be popular but trading Klefbom for an upgrade would be my only D priority and only D move.
For depth 1 or 2 D from Bakersfield should suffice in a crunch. (Jones Bear etc.)

Money is a problem though.

Spend all efforts getting 1 prime winger is the most important of course.

Tough call to make. I think Sekera can handle 2nd pairing minutes, so if you can get rid of Russell and trade Nurse or Klefbomb for someone like Parayko it balances things out quite a lot.

We have two years left on Sekera's contract... will Jones or Lagesson be ready for 2nd pairing minutes in 3 years? If they start playing in the NHL next season pending that trade, they'd have around 150 NHL games of experience. Possible... pretty sure Klef and Nurse played 2nd pairing+ sooner.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
How can you NOT recall his name? Bob basically spams his name a billion times a day on his twitter and on the radio:

Luke Philp

Its like the only other thing he loves more this season aside from Mediterranean Chicken Pizza

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Sounds like we are in on at least on college FA.

He seems to be one of the more high profile UFAs this season.

Sounds like whoever gets him also might have a good chance at getting his longtime friend/teammate Ryan Kuffner too. He's leading the NCAA in points-per-game right now.

Last edited:

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Sounds like the Leafs are front runners on Joe Duszak. He is probably one of the more interesting UFAs available, but signing here wouldn't really make sense for him with a number of young guys pushing for minutes.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Who was the last consequential college free-agent signing? This is not a rhetorical question. I'm genuinely curious.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Who was the last consequential college free-agent signing? This is not a rhetorical question. I'm genuinely curious.

Honestly, I would say Schultz and Vesey. Other than that, and we're going way back to Chia's Boston days, Torey Krug.

If we're discounting players who were drafted, chose not to sign and then signed out of college, Krug is the only one of any significance I can think of in past memory.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Honestly, I would say Schultz and Vesey. Other than that, and we're going way back to Chia's Boston days, Torey Krug.

If we're discounting players who were drafted, chose not to sign and then signed out of college, Krug is the only one of any significance I can think of in past memory.

I didn't realize Krug was a UFA. That's an extremely good pick-up for a team who didn't have to give up anything. The only guy I could think of off the top of my head was Bozak. These college UFAs are such unlikely hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad