Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread | Kyle Dubarelli Strikes Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Nylander went on quite a lot about that Dubas promised not to trade him. It would really be a shit move to turn around and say "woops, who could have guessed we'd run out of cap, bye bye" to him.

Nylander would get value back in a trade though, I think he has like 6 pts in his last 5 GP. I don't like him at all but I think he'll soon be considered a bargain.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
That's what you get when you dip into the UFA pool. Do you think Tavares was taking a penny less anywhere else?

How? Whoever acquired him was going to have to pay him anyway. I imagine the list of teams with the cap space to pay him and an asset the Leafs would want looks pretty much the same now as then.

What's the cap gonna be in three years?
The team is going to be locked into presumably 33+ million on just 3 players and you think Reilly isn't going to want to cash in big time if he continues to progress offensively as he has been the last 2 years. They're going to have a situation where 4 players could be taking up to 40 million of the cap.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Nylander went on quite a lot about that Dubas promised not to trade him. It would really be a **** move to turn around and say "woops, who could have guessed we'd run out of cap, bye bye" to him.

Nylander would get value back in a trade though, I think he has like 6 pts in his last 5 GP. I don't like him at all but I think he'll soon be considered a bargain.
What kind of trade value?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Sure will, they won't want to go through another Nylander situation. Maybe they go the 8 year route with Marner for the lower AAV? Even so, that number still probably starts at 10.
A longer deal doesn’t bring the AAV down. It brings it up. You’re buying more prime UFA years with these young players. That costs you more.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The team is going to be locked into presumably 33+ million on just 3 players and you think Reilly isn't going to want to cash in big time if he continues to progress offensively as he has been the last 2 years. They're going to have a situation where 4 players could be taking up to 40 million of the cap.

The amount they take up matters less than the % of the cap. On a $88-90M cap four players at $40M is 44-45% of your cap, which is a bit high, but not out of line with what all the recent Cup winners have shelled out for their cores.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I guess we'll have to wait and see if/when he's traded.

A 22 year old two times 60+ pts fwd who can play centre or wing and is locked up for 5 years is pretty valuable imo.
60 point player signed for 7 million and underperforming is valuable? They need a top four Dman signed to a cap friendly salary. Also known as gold.

North

Jun 25, 2009
loooool at the Leafs fans already turning on Dubas..

A week ago he was a god.

He shouldn't have been. It's been abundantly clear he has no clue how to manage within a salary cap environment.

He's put them in a position of weakness for any deal they need to make in order to stay salary cap compliant.

In the very near future their depth is going to be non-existent.

Reactions: forecheck

North

Jun 25, 2009
Reilly is locked in for another 4 I believe, but ya they'll have issues

Do they do Brassard and Hoffman for the two Russians? Bob isn't getting them anything for a return anyway. So the question is do you want prospects and picks or Hoffman?

Only problem is they could be sitting here next year with an impending UFA in Hoffman.

No Rielly has three seasons left on his deal after this one.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I bet it is. F**** after that. They are going to have to get guys off of the street and dress them up lol

In three years when the cap is $90M or higher? They'll be fine.

He shouldn't have been. It's been abundantly clear he has no clue how to manage within a salary cap environment.

He's put them in a position of weakness for any deal they need to make in order to stay salary cap compliant.

In the very near future their depth is going to be non-existent.

You don't win with bottom sixers in this league.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Edmonton is only a few pieces away from being a contender. They should be looking like Toronto right now.. just need some wingers. RNH may be too good to be the 3rd line C as well. Look at Toronto they have Kadri as the 3C and he is producing at like 45 point pace.. then for wingers they have marner, marleau and Nylander… with Matthews and Tavares down the middle.... they are basically us.... but instead of RNH they have Kadri on the 3C... and they have talented wingers

This model shows we need wingers.. we have McD and Drai down the middle.. We could trade RNH for some help on the wings to balance out the team. I know nobody wants to trade RNH but how else do we realistically get the talent we need on the wings... like now?

Considering cap issues.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Edmonton is only a few pieces away from being a contender. They should be looking like Toronto right now.. just need some wingers. RNH may be too good to be the 3rd line C as well. Look at Toronto they have Kadri as the 3C and he is producing at like 45 point pace.. then for wingers they have marner, marleau and Nylander… with Matthews and Tavares down the middle.... they are basically us.... but instead of RNH they have Kadri on the 3C... and they have talented wingers

This model shows we need wingers.. we have McD and Drai down the middle.. We could trade RNH for some help on the wings to balance out the team. I know nobody wants to trade RNH but how else do we realistically get the talent we need on the wings... like now?

Considering cap issues.

The problem with this is who are you getting for RNH that is that much better than RNH at playing wing? If it's a one for one deal, is whoever they're bringing in going to produce more than RNH has already proven he can when he plays wing? Or are they better off looking for a Kadri level player and then bumping RNH up to the top two lines?

I don't understand why the team hasn't tried RNH with Draisaitl. If those two can excel together, maybe you can bring in some cheaper options that fit with McDavid (and a decent third line centre).

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton

Considering cap issues.

Drai does well on the wing. No one has shown better chemistry with McDavid than him. I'd rather we just sign a UFA winger this offseason for the 2nd line, there's a great crop available.

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
Personally, I thought that 6x11 was a fair deal for Matthews/Leafs because that deal would come of the books at the same time as the Tavares contract would. While this deal is a bit steep in terms of AAV and a year too short it's the Marleau/Zaitsev contract that put the Leafs in caphell not this one

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton

Considering cap issues.

They also have almost 130 points from dmen this season... We have 89. As well as a goalie with a 923sp, and 2.52 gaa, compared to our best goalie who's got a 908sp and 2.84 gaa.

This team needs more than wingers. We need either an elite top line winger, or 2 50pt top 6 wingers, a top 4 point producing dman, a third line center able to drag around Lucic and whatever other anchor we throw on that line, and for our newly signed goalie to put up numbers that reflect his fat payday.

This team is not about to fix all these issues anytime soon. It's going to take patience, and good development.

I hate using the "P" word still after 13 years, but we really are against a wall right now. Patience and development are the only things that can save us, outside of someone hiring chia and him making some trades with us.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Personally, I thought that 6x11 was a fair deal for Matthews/Leafs because that deal would come of the books at the same time as the Tavares contract would. While this deal is a bit steep in terms of AAV and a year too short it's the Marleau/Zaitsev contract that put the Leafs in caphell not this one

True. But I guess the bigger factor is how all the Leaf fans 'assumed' he'd sign for less than 10M and take a discount for the team. We all knew he'd sign that. Especially all the media pumping the Matthews >>> McDavid crap.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton

The issue with the Matthews contract is that they overpaid (even if only by a bit according to some) and only got 1 Ufa year.

The kid is going to be 26 when his deal is up, and is absolutely going to be able to get league max wherever he wants it as a FA. Toronto both overpaid short term, and hurt their long term future as well.

You'd think a much bigger discount would have been taken considering his numbers, injury history, and lack of Ufa years...

His contract is what he should have been paid over 8 years imo.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
True. But I guess the bigger factor is how all the Leaf fans 'assumed' he'd sign for less than 10M and take a discount for the team. We all knew he'd sign that. Especially all the media pumping the Matthews >>> McDavid crap.

I fully expected above 10m, in fact his 11.6 sounded about where I expected, but I thought it would be 8 years. Toronto really blew that one.

As I said before though, if your franchise player is playing hardball, what choice do you have as a gm when he could sign anywhere he wanted for any amount he commands.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Now they assume Marner will take a discount cause matthews sells more jerseys.

Wtf is in the water in toronto.

Reactions: Oilhawks

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Nylander went on quite a lot about that Dubas promised not to trade him. It would really be a **** move to turn around and say "woops, who could have guessed we'd run out of cap, bye bye" to him.

I think that no trade promise was only for this year.

Reactions: LaGu

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
When the Matthews camp came in looking for $14M/season on an 8 year deal Dubas should have Googled this image on his phone to show Matthews' agent.

connor-mcdavid-1.jpg

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I actually think the Leafs went 5 years of Matthew's because they believe 97 will leave the Oil at that time to join the Leafs. The way this trash organization is going.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad