Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread | Kyle Dubarelli Strikes Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
They'll probably lose Gardiner, but Kapanen has no leverage so he either takes a bridge or gets dealt instead of Nylander. Dermott probably jumps up to the second pair. They can't buyout Marleau but he only has one year left after this so in all likelihood they just let it ride out next year with cheap fill-ins and then retool for 2020. It's a tough spot, sure, but I'd take that over our situation here.
They better win a cup in the next 3 years than because if Marner gets a similar contract and Reilly continues his offensive upswing in the next 3 years they won't be able to retain him without gutting their depth.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The problem is giving an outsider 11mil

How do you convince everyone else to take haircuts when you give that contract out? Even Marleau at 6mil.

All these guys coming home aren't exactly giving discounts in the first place.

That's what you get when you dip into the UFA pool. Do you think Tavares was taking a penny less anywhere else?

Hardly the same one nor a remotely similar situation. They ****ed that whole Nylander situation massively.

How? Whoever acquired him was going to have to pay him anyway. I imagine the list of teams with the cap space to pay him and an asset the Leafs would want looks pretty much the same now as then.

They better win a cup in the next 3 years than because if Marner gets a similar contract and Reilly continues his offensive upswing in the next 3 years they won't be able to retain him without gutting their depth.

What's the cap gonna be in three years?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What defenseman will a 7 mill player with 9 points get you though? A Russell type maybe?
Ya, I'm wondering the same. Granted Nylander is better than this, teams will know you are already in a crunch and will look to do everything they can to turn that wrench.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Ya, I'm wondering the same. Granted Nylander is better than this, teams will know you are already in a crunch and will look to do everything they can to turn that wrench.
Exactly. Dealing from a point of weakness and he is having an underwhelming season.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Did they need to dip into the UFA pool? They put themselves into this situation.

It's a gamble, sure, but you have to think their odds at a Cup in the next three years are better with Tavares than without. Gives them arguably the best C depth in the league.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's a gamble, sure, but you have to think their odds at a Cup in the next three years are better with Tavares than without. Gives them arguably the best C depth in the league.
I don't disagree, but any shot at keeping their core of young went out the window the day they signed him.

Something that outsiders have told Leaf fans for awhile, but are still denying

Reactions: CanadianSniper

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Chia handled it poorly but Toronto is going to need to do pretty much the same thing. Trade Nylander for pennies (GM promised he wouldn’t trade him), probably lose Kapanen/Gardiner. As we learned top 4 D don’t just fall out of the sky and all they have is Morgan Rielly . Possibly buy our Marleau? Toronto has a very tough off season this year with a Relatively new GM. Toronto fans should be worried.
That this was coming was as plain as day the moment they signed Tavares. Shouldn’t be a surprise at all.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I don't disagree, but any shot at keeping their core of young went out the window the day they signed him.

Something that outsiders have told Leaf fans for awhile, but are still denying

They're keeping Matthews and Marner. Hell, they could still afford to keep Nylander.

I dunno, like I said elsewhere, it's a tough spot, but wouldn't you rather be in the position of making a decision on these guys when you absolutely have to instead of pulling a Chia and dumping talent off long before you need to?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They're keeping Matthews and Marner. Hell, they could still afford to keep Nylander.

I dunno, like I said elsewhere, it's a tough spot, but wouldn't you rather be in the position of making a decision on these guys when you absolutely have to instead of pulling a Chia and dumping talent off long before you need to?
Well they haven't exactly done anything yet. Dubas might end up pulling a Chia pet himself.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
If the only defense is "Chia would have done worse" then it's probably not a good move.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Well they haven't exactly done anything yet.

I think back to back 100+ point seasons is nothing to sneeze at. Beats one-and-done like the Oilers.

Dubas might end up pulling a Chia pet himself.

I mean if that hope is what it takes to distract us from the godawful void that is the Oilers, sure.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think back to back 100+ point seasons is nothing to sneeze at. Beats one-and-done like the Oilers.

I mean if that hope is what it takes to distract us from the godawful void that is the Oilers, sure.
I meant more they haven't traded anyone yet since Tavares came in.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
All I hear in tsn radio is how great this deal is for the leafs and Matthew's.

They are realistic though. Reilly and others up soon. It's a hard 3 year window

Crude

Rafters 94
Jul 15, 2007
Edmonton
Friedman mentions in today's 31 Thoughts that Mike Hoffman could be on the move again as FLA tries to clear more cap to take a run at Bobrovsky and Panarin.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
All I hear in tsn radio is how great this deal is for the leafs and Matthew's.

They are realistic though. Reilly and others up soon. It's a hard 3 year window
Reilly is locked in for another 4 I believe, but ya they'll have issues
Friedman mentions in today's 31 Thoughts that Mike Hoffman could be on the move again as FLA tries to clear more cap to take a run at Bobrovsky and Panarin.
Do they do Brassard and Hoffman for the two Russians? Bob isn't getting them anything for a return anyway. So the question is do you want prospects and picks or Hoffman?

Only problem is they could be sitting here next year with an impending UFA in Hoffman.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Then you risk alienating him. It will be interesting to say the least.

Sure will, they won't want to go through another Nylander situation. Maybe they go the 8 year route with Marner for the lower AAV? Even so, that number still probably starts at 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad