Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread | Kyle Dubarelli Strikes Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Buyouts aren't preferred, it will all depend on what's available and how badly we want to open up space. If we can move some players for picks at the deadline and then attach those picks to get rid of bad contracts it could help us and open a lot of cap and roster space next season.

Agreed.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Sekera, Koskinen, Lucic, Russell
That's 20m
Like I said jury is still somewhat out on Sekera and Koskinen IMO. Russel is slightly overpaid I guess. I meant more like complete dead weight contracts (Manning, Petrovic, Lucic, Spooner, Rieder)

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Speaking of Karlsson I wonder what he gets after the Matthews contract. 10?

Doughty got 11 and he negotiated that deal himself without an agent and with his home team. I think he’s going to get offered 11 x 8 minimum from the Sharks and I could see someone dropping him an offer for 12.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Doughty got 11 and he negotiated that deal himself without an agent and with his home team. I think he’s going to get offered 11 x 8 minimum from the Sharks and I could see someone dropping him an offer for 12.
And California is a high tax state so there is no Tampa Bay Tax discount.

SJ could be in a pickle if they do resign Karlsson. At $83M they have $25.4M in cap space on 14 contracts and they will be hard pressed to sign Karlsson (11), Pavelski(7), Labanc(3) and Meir (4) for that. No Thornton in that mix either. And they would still need to sign 4-5 guys.

This could be the year of the offer sheet. So many teams are up against it with good secondary players to sign. If the Oilers had an additional $7-8M in cap space they could turn this ship around very fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
If we have the ~7th overall pick, and Columbus loses in the first round(which will probably happen), I might trade down to get their first + Oliver Bjorkstrand, or add a small piece and get Josh Anderson.

What do you guys think?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
If we have the ~7th overall pick, and Columbus loses in the first round(which will probably happen), I might trade down to get their first + Oliver Bjorkstrand, or add a small piece and get Josh Anderson.

What do you guys think?
I'd consider it for Anderson, not for Bjorkstrand.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

What do you guys think?
BPA. Don't trade down at all. We need the most high end talent we can get.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
BPA. Don't trade down at all. We need the most high end talent we can get.

Looking at this years draft it seems weak . I would try and trade our 1st for a 1st in 2020 . Got to target teams that look weak for next year . Maybe Ottawa ?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Looking at this years draft it seems weak . I would try and trade our 1st for a 1st in 2020 . Got to target teams that look weak for next year . Maybe Ottawa ?

Many teams surprise to turn it around. You could be trading a 10th this year for a 24th next year. I think this draft is under-rated in the top 20, kind of like 2017 (although this year has a much better top 2 as well). Look at picks 3-13 right now. Heiskanen, Makar, Pettersson, Mittlestadt, Rasmussen, Tippet, Suzuki. I wouldn't mind taking a shot at talent like that.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We’re not getting Hub without including either Nuge or Nurse and a combination of picks. FLA isn’t taking our garbage players. That’s a pipe dream.

Pulju falls squarely in that garbage player pile.
The whole point of them trading Huberdeau is they need cap space. Nuge doesn't fit that bill. Nurse maybe
And California is a high tax state so there is no Tampa Bay Tax discount.

SJ could be in a pickle if they do resign Karlsson. At $83M they have $25.4M in cap space on 14 contracts and they will be hard pressed to sign Karlsson (11), Pavelski(7), Labanc(3) and Meir (4) for that. No Thornton in that mix either. And they would still need to sign 4-5 guys.

This could be the year of the offer sheet. So many teams are up against it with good secondary players to sign. If the Oilers had an additional $7-8M in cap space they could turn this ship around very fast.
I don't know if Karlsson takes 11 there. They've seemed to keep their own talent at a decent rate of 8mil in Burns and Couture. If Karlsson wants a good situation on and off the ice he might take less just to be apart of something good.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
It's not like Florida is loading up for a playoff push. Why doesn't Florida just wait until free agency to sign Panarin and Bobrovsky and then deal other players like Hubredeau for cheap players on ELC's and picks?
Because they need to sell tickets and new blood would help.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Many teams surprise to turn it around. You could be trading a 10th this year for a 24th next year. I think this draft is under-rated in the top 20, kind of like 2017 (although this year has a much better top 2 as well). Look at picks 3-13 right now. Heiskanen, Makar, Pettersson, Mittlestadt, Rasmussen, Tippet, Suzuki. I wouldn't mind taking a shot at talent like that.
I disagree entirely.
I think even back then, the 2017 3-13 was much stronger than this year's.

Heiskeinen, Makar, Petterson, Glass all go ahead of anyone outside of the top 2 this year.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The whole point of them trading Huberdeau is they need cap space. Nuge doesn't fit that bill. Nurse maybe
I don't know if Karlsson takes 11 there. They've seemed to keep their own talent at a decent rate of 8mil in Burns and Couture. If Karlsson wants a good situation on and off the ice he might take less just to be apart of something good.
Maybe. But the game has changes since even those deals were signed. we will see more of the big deals coming on each year.

And lets compare Karlsson with Burns for example. Burns deal was signed on Nov 2016 when the cap was $73M. He also started his deal when he was when he was 32 and will end his contract when he is 40. The last few years of Burns' deal are at $6.5, $5M and $5M. Karlsson is looking at an $82-83M cap and he will be signing when he is 29 which would mean his deal ends just as he turns 37. Karlsson at $11M is actually much closer to Burns at $8M than it might seem. And Burns deal was considered a bargain. Karlsson on the open market could get $13M+ based on the new standards we are seeing.

Couture at $8M is also a pretty much market value deal. He is probably a lot closer to Nuge than to Leon for example and his deal will also start when he is 30.

But even so. Karlsson at $10M still leaves them in a pickle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad