ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
giphy.gif

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I hope thread bans were handed out. That was nauseating.

Anyways, this trade deadline will be interesting with us being over the cap. I am curious how Gretzky will handle it.
Probably one of Petrovic, Manning and Benning gone?

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

Anyways, this trade deadline will be interesting with us being over the cap. I am curious how Gretzky will handle it.
I think Petrovic is gone and Manning will be buried.

Will be interesting to see if they trade guys like Talbs, Chiasson, Rieder.

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

At least two of them. Petrovic would be easy to move since he's a UFA. They won't get anywhere near what they paid for him though.

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I think Petrovic is gone and Manning will be buried.

Will be interesting to see if they trade guys like Talbs, Chiasson, Rieder.

Makes sense. I still have a little hope that Spooner contract may get traded. Very very very small hope. Practically non-existent but in a package deal you'll never know.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
At least two of them. Petrovic would be easy to move since he's a UFA. They won't get anywhere near what they paid for him though.

If we lose more ground in the standings then there should be a bunch of bodies moving out by the deadline. Give the new GM as much cap as possible heading into the offseason.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Makes sense. I still have a little hope that Spooner contract may get traded. Very very very small hope. Practically non-existent but in a package deal you'll never know.

I don't see it. IMO we need to just wait it out and then if need be buy him out this offseason. We would've been better off not extending Strome and we don't need other useless players here that won't outplay their contracts as we are already bursting at the seams with these kinds of players.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I don't see it. IMO we need to just wait it out and then if need be buy him out this offseason. We would've been better off not extending Strome and we don't need other useless players here that won't outplay their contracts as we are already bursting at the seams with these kinds of players.

Yeah, that just seems more likely to play out. Just sucks that it's probably going to be at least 2-3 years to get some of those dead contracts out. What a mess.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Sekera and Russel have one more year

But Spooner, Benning, Kass etc come off the books after next year.
Well the jury is still out on Sekera. Russel is dead weight? Certainly has struggled lately but I wouldn’t call him a “dead weight contract”. We are stuck with Spooner but he seems be responding on his stint in the AHL. Hopefully he comes back confident and actually contributes something in a game for a change.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Well the jury is still out on Sekera. Russel is dead weight? Certainly has struggled lately but I wouldn’t call him a “dead weight contract”. We are stuck with Spooner but he seems be responding on his stint in the AHL. Hopefully he comes back confident and actually contributes something in a game for a change.
Russel isn't dead weight

But that 4m could be used a lot better than it is rn.

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Don’t buy Spooner out. Try to trade him at 50% retained over the summer. Cheaper in the long haul to do that and a new team can farm him and only take about a 675K hit. A floor team may take him under those circumstances if we toss in a pick. I just hope we don’t buyout too many deals that expire end of the 2019/2020 season. Why extend cap hell further. Just eat the shit sandwich Chiarelli served us.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Don’t buy Spooner out. Try to trade him at 50% retained over the summer. Cheaper in the long haul to do that and a new team can farm him and only take about a 675K hit. A floor team may take him under those circumstances if we toss in a pick. I just hope we don’t buyout too many deals that expire end of the 2019/2020 season. Why extend cap hell further. Just eat the **** sandwich Chiarelli served us.

Buyouts aren't preferred, it will all depend on what's available and how badly we want to open up space. If we can move some players for picks at the deadline and then attach those picks to get rid of bad contracts it could help us and open a lot of cap and roster space next season.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Well 4 and 2.

I think we can get out from the Lucic contract after July 1 2020. Same summer we can move both the Russell, Sekera deals and the Spooner Kassian Manning and Benning contracts expire. Just need another year of being a crap team is all...and Koskinens deal will be the one we’re all possibly complaining out then.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Buyouts aren't preferred, it will all depend on what's available and how badly we want to open up space. If we can move some players for picks at the deadline and then attach those picks to get rid of bad contracts it could help us and open a lot of cap and roster space next season.
We save 1 million to the cap with Spooner in the minors correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad