Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Brouwer Bought Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The only way this roster is close to 16-17 is if Ky and Jp come in and score 50 goals combined. Even then we still need Lucic to score another 10 goals from last year's totals. We also need somebody on the defense to take a step forward with no one taking steps back. And Talbot needs to find a way to win a bunch more games on his own.

Yeah that and basically no other major player can get injured past a game or two probably tops.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I love all the hand waving. Losing Maroon, Sekera, Eberle, Letestu ... all no big deals.

Maybe one of them, sure, but when you lose like 4 decent to good contributors from that 16-17 team ... don't freaking tell me "they're basically the same team". They're not.

The roster as is is considerably worse than the one in 16-17, hopefully McDavid has another gear.
You know no one predicted the Oilers to be good that year. Rosters, chemistry all evolve year after year. I don't think our roster is worse anyways. It could actually be a lot better depending on a few things. But this isn't exactly a glass half full kind of board so flame away.

Reactions: Jeff Lebowski

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The loss of Sekera will be a big deal if that LTIR money goes to no good use.

Letestu has been upgraded on. Maroon's 17-18 offense has likely been replaced in the form of Toby Reider. Eberle's 20 goals has been a problem. You hope that RNH at wing scoring more, Strome at C and in-house options like Puljujarvi and Yamamoto will negate that soon.

As I've said before, I'm unconcerned about wing on this team. Lots of potential fixes in-house and real strength down the middle to buoy that. I'm only concerned about the defense.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The loss of Sekera will be a big deal if that LTIR money goes to no good use.

Letestu has been upgraded on. Maroon's 17-18 offense has likely been replaced in the form of Toby Reider. Eberle's 20 goals has been a problem. You hope that RNH at wing scoring more, Strome at C and in-house options like Puljujarvi and Yamamoto will negate that soon.

As I've said before, I'm unconcerned about wing on this team. Lots of potential fixes in-house and real strength down the middle to buoy that. I'm only concerned about the defense.

I don't think Toby Reider is sniffing anywhere close to 27 goals. I think if he can score 15 that would be a good year for him.

Both the wings and D have problems. The Oilers are still a one line team to boot. All that "center depth" doesn't mean crap if you can't even muster two reliable scoring lines. Other teams only really pay attention to the McDavid line, until the Oilers have an actual 2nd line that strikes fear into the heart of other NHL teams they're never really going anywhere.

Last edited:

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I don't think Toby Reider is sniffing anywhere close to 27 goals. I think if he can score 15 that would be a good year for him.

Both the wings and D have problems. The Oilers are still a one line team to boot. All that "center depth" doesn't mean crap if you can't even muster two reliable scoring lines. Other teams only really pay attention to the McDavid line, until the Oilers have an actual 2nd line that strikes fear into the heart of other NHL teams they're never really going anywhere.
And yet McD still ended up scoring a ton and the PP sucked. Yah there's no way any improvement could be made.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Tampa fans are apparently fine dealing Jake Dotchin for a 3rd/4th round pick. If he’s available he’d be an excellent cheap pickup.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
I actually dig Dotchin a bunch.
Playing armchair GM, Koekkoek or Beauieu would also be decent stopgaps.

They were sniffing around Koekkoek earlier in the off-season, he’s cheap, doesn’t seem to be in Tampa’s long-term plans, and at least a solid third pairing option with the slight potential to be something more.

Beaulieu wasn’t terrible with the Habs, seemed like he was trending up a bit. But after his horrendous season with Buffalo and Dahlin coming in, he’s probably the odd man out, and could probably be had for peanut shells. Another guy better than Davidson or Lowe to hold the fort without ruining our cap if Sekera ever comes back.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010

Does he have to score 27 goals, though? Mcdavid increased his scoring by 11 from the year Maroon plopped in 27 goals. If Mcdavid matches or exceeds his goal totals from last year which I'm pretty sure he will you only need a guy like Rieder to score 16-20 anyways.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Like others have said, I imagine the Oilers will be paying close attention to the camps of teams with lots of defensive depth, like the Preds and Lightning. It can't hurt to see if someone is pushing hard for a D spot that's not available at the moment.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Torrey Krug, yup I'd be down with that. Make it happen Chia.
be careful what you hope for, Chiarelli is a GM capable to turning Hope into Hopeless in an instant. He's sitting around right now and I bet it actually ran through his mind ... hmmm I wonder if Draisaitl gets us Krug ? how about RNH and Puljujarvi.. hmmmmm

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
be careful what you hope for, Chiarelli is a GM capable to turning Hope into Hopeless in an instant. He's sitting around right now and I bet it actually ran through his mind ... hmmm I wonder if Draisaitl gets us Krug ? how about RNH and Puljujarvi.. hmmmmm
That's very unrealistic.

Earlier in this thread you were dumping on Chiarelli for McDavid not having any defensemen to play with (fair) and laughing at Davidson's name being mentioned. Now Krug's name is brought up and you're still upset. What exactly do you want the GM to do?

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
That's very unrealistic.

Earlier in this thread you were dumping on Chiarelli for McDavid not having any defensemen to play with (fair) and laughing at Davidson's name being mentioned. Now Krug's name is brought up and you're still upset. What exactly do you want the GM to do?

Not make a Hall for Larsson type deal. Im sure thats a pretty low bar to meet .. isnt it ...:sarcasm:

Reactions: Consultant

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Much like the situation with Eberle caps space, Sekera cap space is very subjectional.

Only truly available for part of a year and even if it is available the full year its not like impact guys can be attained on one year deals/trades barring the trade deadline.

I would think a one year depth plug to mitigate damage but not solve the issue (Davidsonesk level guy) and then if the Oilers sonehow actually are in a playoff position come trade deadline pick up a piece or two. Although even then I don't think the Oilers can truly part with assets. They need thier picks and maybe more besides for the next few years at least to maximize the number of ELC contracts and manage the cap hits of thier stars.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
I'll join Jimmy in the minority. I take Larsson playing 22 min a night over Faulk...and I have nothing against Faulk, I think he's a good fit on our 2nd pair with Nurse and playing the PP but he's a bit of an adventure in his own zone.

I said he'd be the Oilers #1 Defenseman, and I think you'd be in the minority by saying Larsson would be better suited to play top pairing minutes over Faulk.
Larsson was never a #1D until he arrived in Edmonton, and he hasn't been any better in Edmonton than he was in NJ. So you took a 2nd/3rd pairing guy, made him a first pairing guy out of necessity, and now say he's a better top pair d-man than a guy whose been a top pair d-man for the better part of half a decade with the stats to prove it.
Sure thing.

I will join OilDrop and Jimmy in the minority as well, theres no way Id play Faulk over Larsson, one actually knows what Defence is , I'm sorry but points do not equal being good at Defence (stated at wretched not u oil drop) There was a post earlier where it was stated over Faulk's 7 year career he has been on for around 60% goals against .... he doesn't even know where his end is, no ty ... to wretch's "number 1 d"

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
What about Petrovic? I thought he was potentially available. Not exactly a sexy Seks replacement, but we could do worse. He has decent ES offense and adds some physicality.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
OilersNation says we're in the mix for Scottie Upshall on a PTO. I'd rather not, honestly. I'd prefer someone with a little more offensive upside. If its more PK help they're looking at, I'd prefer Shawn Matthias.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What about Petrovic? I thought he was potentially available. Not exactly a sexy Seks replacement, but we could do worse. He has decent ES offense and adds some physicality.

Little to no offence but he doesnt give up much in his own zone. Very dependable.
I would be fine with this if the price was low. Not sure what his AAV is though.
He shoots right as well...thats a positive.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The only thing we really need to worry about when 'replacing' Sekera is what we expected he'd do on the PP. Russell and Gravel are both in-house replacements for him at evens. A right shot that can help on the PP should be the target.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
The only thing we really need to worry about when 'replacing' Sekera is what we expected he'd do on the PP. Russell and Gravel are both in-house replacements for him at evens. A right shot that can help on the PP should be the target.

Gravel is a replacement for Sekera in the same way I would be a replacement for Talbot: we both play goal.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Maybe an in house replacement for Sekera as he was last season.

Not close to an in house replacement for the player that he was in 16-17. That player we needed to have in order to have a hope of being competitive this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad