Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Brouwer Bought Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Don't you face palm me mister....lol

Anyway, a quick look at the roster shows that the Oilers are going to have to do something to fill that open roster spot and the need for a PP, right handed shot d-man is the priority. Add in the salary cap situation and it seems fairly obvious that spot will be either Bear or Bouchard. Now maybe they try and get Enstrom as a stop gap? He's about the only real "free" option but after Nurse signs, can we even afford him?

I'm not slagging on the Oilers but c'mon... Bouchard is signed, right handed, elite offensively and by a lot of scouting reports, NHL ready. If you don't think it's not his spot to lose now that Sekera is out, I don't know what to tell you.
Elite offensively at what level? If he is elite offensively right now at the NHL level he would've went in the top 5

Last edited:

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Chia has to make a move for a veteran d-man right? Having one of Bear/Benning/Bouchard in the top 4 is irresponsible and a bottom pairing composed of Gravel, Benning, Bouchard/Bear could prove disastrous. I think our 1st is as good as gone.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Chia has to make a move for a veteran d-man right? Having one of Bear/Benning/Bouchard in the top 4 is irresponsible and a bottom pairing composed of Gravel, Benning, Bouchard/Bear could prove disastrous. I think our 1st is as good as gone.

If our 1st is moving it had better be for a damn solid defenseman that buys Bouchard 5 years or more to develop properly into a top 4 NHL defenseman.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I said he'd be the Oilers #1 Defenseman, and I think you'd be in the minority by saying Larsson would be better suited to play top pairing minutes over Faulk.
Larsson was never a #1D until he arrived in Edmonton, and he hasn't been any better in Edmonton than he was in NJ. So you took a 2nd/3rd pairing guy, made him a first pairing guy out of necessity, and now say he's a better top pair d-man than a guy whose been a top pair d-man for the better part of half a decade with the stats to prove it.
Sure thing.
Over the last 3 years Faulk has 43 5 vs 5 points. Larsson has 41. Larsson is light years better defensively. No coach in the NHL picks Faulk over Larsson 5 vs 5.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
People still don't fully get that hockey is a 2-way game.

Boxcars still rule most minds and it's hard to look past that for most.

I've looked at the stats and worked out the numbers on Faulk and he's a slight negative to his team over the past 7 seasons. That's considering all factors... ES, PP and PK time. He gets an ozone push at ES and his QoC is middle of the pack as well so even taking context into account... simply by having Faulk on the team... he's made his team worse over the past 7 seasons.

That's not even a knock on Faulk really... just the facts. It's a zero sum game and you have players that A) make your team better, B) some that tread water (net effect of 0) and C) some that make it worse. That's why some teams get more points each season than others... because they have more players playing from groups A and B getting more ice time than the C players.

Faulk could improve in the seasons to come and become a B player (net zero effect)... or improve a lot and become an overall net positive to hs team... but at the price to obtain him I don't feel it would be worth it. Others do obviously and that's what NHL managers have to take into account as well obviously.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Wonder if we can snag someone like Gunnarson from the blues for picks. 1 year deal left, clears up some cap space for them and wouldn’t be the worst option out there IMO.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I don't mind a pump and dump with Faulk. Get him for a reasonable price in October after Bouchard gets a taste, play him on the PP with McDavid all year, and then deal him for more than we paid for him at the draft. Bouchard then steps in.

Reactions: nally

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

I will be shocked if Chia brings anything on the back end more then a PTO

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I will be shocked if Chia brings anything on the back end more then a PTO

I'm not sure he really can.

It's the same kind of handcuffs as last year. If you bring in a pricey top4 guy, you're going to end up with around $12M spent on the #5, 6 and 7 defensemen as well as likely being over the cap when Sekera comes back.

So that means you need to bring in a cheap top4 D which likely means a young guy you would have to pay out the nose for.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Seriously we are totally f***ed. No one is even available out there. It seems like another year of sucking, underperforming with a top pick to look forward to :help:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Seriously we are totally ****ed. No one is even available out there. It seems like another year of sucking, underperforming with a top pick to look forward to :help:

I think it's a little early for that.

If you look at last season, the play of the #4/5/6D is probably pretty far down the list for why the season was sewered. If they improve in the main areas, I don't think it will be a big deal.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Risto would be a really nice add, Im a big Risto fan. But idk why they would move him for anything less than Klef or Larss.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Its embarrassing McDavid in his prime years has no defenseman to work with and our biggest trading chips gone for pennies on a dollar and this guy still has a job. Only trolls speak on behalf of Chiarelli.

and were sitting here talking about Brandon f** Davidson as a replacement for our number 3 defenseman....:biglaugh:

TheMustardTiger

Owner of the Dirty Burger
May 4, 2016
Its embarrassing McDavid in his prime years has no defenseman to work with and our biggest trading chips gone for pennies on a dollar and this guy still has a job. Only trolls speak on behalf of Chiarelli.

and were sitting here talking about Brandon f** Davidson as a replacement for our number 3 defenseman....:biglaugh:

I know this is crazy for people to understand because of how good McDavid is but he isn't in his prime years yet. I do agree with the state of our defense and it needs to be addressed but we do have time before McDavid hits his prime years.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

save your crying for the "Fire Chia" thread

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Meh, losing Sekera and gaining cap back could work out OK. There are always options for right price, no doubt the Oilers will have to part with a prospect and a pick or two. The FA's remaining really aren't that appealing.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Meh, losing Sekera and gaining cap back could work out OK. There are always options for right price, no doubt the Oilers will have to part with a prospect and a pick or two. The FA's remaining really aren't that appealing.

My thoughts exactly.

Could be a positive...could be a negative.

Lets see how it plays out.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I love all the hand waving. Losing Maroon, Sekera, Eberle, Letestu ... all no big deals.

Maybe one of them, sure, but when you lose like 4 decent to good contributors from that 16-17 team ... don't freaking tell me "they're basically the same team". They're not.

The roster as is is considerably worse than the one in 16-17, hopefully McDavid has another gear.

Reactions: Supermassive

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I love all the hand waving. Losing Maroon, Sekera, Eberle, Letestu ... all no big deals.

Maybe one of them, sure, but when you lose like 4 decent to good contributors from that 16-17 team ... don't freaking tell me "they're basically the same team". They're not.

The roster as is is considerably worse than the one in 16-17, hopefully McDavid has another gear.
I'm sure no one wanted Sekera to get injured but it is what it is. I'm sure if we can get a top 4 dman to replace an injured Sekera it could work out in our favor.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

The only way this roster is close to 16-17 is if Ky and Jp come in and score 50 goals combined. Even then we still need Lucic to score another 10 goals from last year's totals. We also need somebody on the defense to take a step forward with no one taking steps back. And Talbot needs to find a way to win a bunch more games on his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad