Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Brouwer Bought Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Elite offensively at what level? If he is elite offensively right now at the NHL level he would've went in the top 5

I understand where u are coming from, but remember fowler went 12th , played in first year and looked good as well, I'm not saying Bouchard should, but being NHL ready does not mean you have to go top 5 . ROR went in the 2nd round

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Maybe an in house replacement for Sekera as he was last season.

Not close to an in house replacement for the player that he was in 16-17. That player we needed to have in order to have a hope of being competitive this season.

Exactly.

If Chiarelli thinks that a guy like Gravel can replace Sekera, then either he thinks Sekera was going to be seriously worse than he was a few seasons ago, in which case Chiarelli should have replaced him with a better player, or Chiarelli severely overates Gravel, in which case he hasn't learned a damn thing about not conflating hopes and expectations.

I doubt he thinks Gravel is a serious replacement. On the other hand, he seemed pretty casual in his interview about replacing Sekera, as if he is planning on taking his time to evaluate the team without hin.

The team had red flags all over it last year after game 4 (I remember Strudwick ringing the alarm that early), and Chiarelli did nothing, he let them sink. Let's hope he has a little more urgency this year.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I understand where u are coming from, but remember fowler went 12th , played in first year and looked good as well, I'm not saying Bouchard should, but being NHL ready does not mean you have to go top 5 . ROR went in the 2nd round
Fowler went straight into the NHL and looked damn solid there. 10 goals, 30 assists for 40 points in 76 games. I think Bouchard is at least a Fowler level prospect and maybe he could have the same impact in his first year. A bit of wishful thinking as well.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Fowler went straight into the NHL and looked damn solid there. 10 goals, 30 assists for 40 points in 76 games. I think Bouchard is at least a Fowler level prospect and maybe he could have the same impact in his first year. A bit of wishful thinking as well.
I watched Fowler closely that year because he fell in the draft, and he was not good. He was a nightmare defensively and I wondered if it was worth it to play him. It seemed to me like it was only for his development, which was probably right. I actually feel the same about Hanifin for Carolina last season. Yes, he could get a lot of points, but he had to be sheltered like crazy, which hurts other players' performances, and he still put up sub par defense while being sheltered. The way I look at it, Bouchard probably would get quite a few points on the Oilers, but I don't think it would translate to wins at all.

Anaheim also had many quality veterans on that team. We don't have that, especially with the Sekera injury. With our defense in particular, it's almost all players in their early 20s except Russell.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I watched Fowler closely that year because he fell in the draft, and he was not good. He was a nightmare defensively and I wondered if it was worth it to play him. It seemed to me like it was only for his development, which was probably right. I actually feel the same about Hanifin for Carolina last season. Yes, he could get a lot of points, but he had to be sheltered like crazy, which hurts other players' performances, and he still put up sub par defense while being sheltered. The way I look at it, Bouchard probably would get quite a few points on the Oilers, but I don't think it would translate to wins at all.

Anaheim also had many quality veterans on that team. We don't have that, especially with the Sekera injury. With our defense in particular, it's almost all players in their early 20s except Russell.
After hearing that I have switched over to give Bouchard a year or two and make a trade or signing side of things.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Maybe an in house replacement for Sekera as he was last season.

Not close to an in house replacement for the player that he was in 16-17. That player we needed to have in order to have a hope of being competitive this season.
An in house replacement as a left handed defender on our bottom pairing. We're not getting a 35 point defenseman as a replacement for Sekera, who was unlikely to reach those totals this year in the first place. His responsibilities have diminished since he was last healthy and its unlikely we'll ever need him in that role as long as Oscar Klefbom and Darnell Nurse remain healthy.

Kris Russell is still a very good option on our bottom pair with the right partner. The guy we sign should probably be someone who can move the puck reasonably well as a compliment to Kris Russell on that bottom pair.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
An in house replacement as a left handed defender on our bottom pairing. We're not getting a 35 point defenseman as a replacement for Sekera, who was unlikely to reach those totals this year in the first place. His responsibilities have diminished since he was last healthy and its unlikely we'll ever need him in that role as long as Oscar Klefbom and Darnell Nurse remain healthy.

Kris Russell is still a very good option on our bottom pair with the right partner. The guy we sign should probably be someone who can move the puck reasonably well as a compliment to Kris Russell on that bottom pair.

It's really simply.

We go into the season with the defense as it is today and this team will be a bottom 10 team. Again.

This team doesn't need a bottom pairing RHD who can move the puck reasonably well... that's Matt Benning.

They need a top 4 d-man.

The excuses never end for this joke of a GM.

Reactions: Staghorn

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's really simply.

We go into the season with the defense as it is today and this team will be a bottom 10 team. Again.

This team doesn't need a botom pairing RHD who can move the puck reasonably well... that's Matt Benning.

They need a top 4 d-man.

The excuses never end for this joke of a GM.
Jesus, its so easy for you guys to get distracted. Who said anything at all about the GM and where exactly are these 'excuses' you speak of?

A top four of:

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning

was probably going to happen regardless of the Sekera injury. Russell and Benning were absolutely putrid together last season.

The only thing the Sekera injury did at evens was shift Russell to his proper side. Find him a complimentary partner. We lost a bottom pairing defenseman. It's not the end of the world.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Jesus, its so easy for you guys to get distracted. Who said anything at all about the GM and where exactly are these 'excuses' you speak of?

A top four of:

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning

was probably going to happen regardless of the Sekera injury. Russell and Benning were absolutely putrid together last season.

The only thing the Sekera injury did at evens was shift Russell to his proper side. Find him a complimentary partner. We lost a bottom pairing defenseman. It's not the end of the world.

We either lost a top 4 d-man and need a replacement. Or we lost a bottom pair d-man and didn't have that top 4 d-man in the first place.

Either way this team doesn't need a bottom pairing d-man.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We either lost a top 4 d-man and need a replacement. Or we lost a bottom pair d-man and didn't have that top 4 d-man in the first place.

Either way this team doesn't need a bottom pairing d-man.
This team needs a guy who fits right there...

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Russell - XXXXXX<<<<<<<

If it makes you feel any better you can flip Nurse's pairing with Russell's considering Todd McLellan staggers the pairings generally. We haven't run a traditional setup defensively.

The important thing is whoever we get to fill that role should be a capable PP producer.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I sort of agree with Tencer when he said it on Lowetide, those players don't really bring anything we need. If they can't score goals, dont bother. We already have like 6 bottom-6 wingers on our team
We need veteran leadership. This team is missing Matt Hendricks.

Let that sink in. Matt Hendricks.

Should be bringing a bunch of guys in and whoever is the best in the room gets a deal

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017

"damn solid" in points only but Fowler was a mess defensively in his first 2 seasons getting totals of -25 and -28

Reactions: 780il

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
"damn solid" in points only but Fowler was a mess defensively in his first 2 seasons getting totals of -25 and -28
Fowler also had one of the best offensive d-men in the game to learn from when he first got to the Ducks.

Lubo

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I still want to add Cody Franson. He’s not perfect but has to be better than Gravel or Auvitu or Bear options at this point. Won’t cost much either. There really are
Painfully few other options out there for Chia - has no assets to flip for a top 4 DMan other than next years first... and with this current D it will be top 5.....

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I still want to add Cody Franson. He’s not perfect but has to be better than Gravel or Auvitu or Bear options at this point. Won’t cost much either. There really are
Painfully few other options out there for Chia - has no assets to flip for a top 4 DMan other than next years first... and with this current D it will be top 5.....
I don't think he's who you imagine him to be

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Bouchard can't skate in the NHL. Needs at least another year of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad