Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: 1st Rounder in Play? Ruh Roh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Tarasenko's NTC kicks in next season. Blues will trade him and it will definitely be pennies on the dollar

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
It's not even necessarily a 'competent GM' away. A healthy defense would have us in the mix for the division. A prospect or two making the jump and producing at a reasonable clip puts us in an even better situation moving forward. The way people talk all the time, you'd think the roster would have to be firing on all cylinders to make any noise. In reality, Connor McDavid is likely going to put up this kind of production throughout his 20s onward. As the depth on this roster improves through prospect development, the team's performance ultimately will also.

LMAO. We had a healthy D corps for most of the season (not counting Sekera who hasn't been a factor since 16-17) and were on the bubble. I think what you actually mean is "with a vastly upgraded defense."

As for the depth, you're taking it on faith that the prospects in the pipeline will pan out. Given we're icing one high profile draft bust now while the next pick is struggling to get any kind of traction as a pro, I'm not sure I share that faith.

This is a team that has struggled with the injury of three of its top four D, had its starting G lose his job and has seen the worst goal support beyond its top three Fs in the entire league. They're a win out of a wildcard position. How exactly is this team far away from contending?

I think you've answered your own question here unless of course you're talking about contending for a playoff position, which is the lowest bar.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Can we please get a real pp Dman that can move the puck first? This team has been lacking that forever. I know we need wingers bad but let’s try and build from the D out first for once....

Exactly, they have one player who can drive the offence. Need another who can carry the pick into the o-zone and put the defence on its heels

North

Jun 25, 2009
Exactly, they have one player who can drive the offence. Need another who can carry the pick into the o-zone and put the defence on its heels

With what? We have no assets that we can realistically give up that would entice a team to trade a PP d man.

Carolina wants scorers. We have 3, none of who we can trade.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They're 5 points out of the bottom of the league.... Again.

That's how far away they are from contending.

And all you have to do is watch them to see how far off they are. They fail the eye test and the stats test, miserably.

Reactions: frag2

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They're 5 points out of the bottom of the league.... Again.

That's how far away they are from contending.
At 0.500. What does that tell you about league parity?

Again, some people's expectations are in the clouds. I'm not sure the Oilers have the horses to be a Tampa Bay-like regular season team, but the Oilers will be a regular playoff contender when its farm system starts churning out regular depth.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
The nice thing for RNh is he's almost done his contract He will be able to finally decide on where he wants to paly. And man has he ever earned the UFA status

I wouldn’t be mad if RNH left - he has suffered enough and is not even in his late 20s yet

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
LMAO. We had a healthy D corps for most of the season (not counting Sekera who hasn't been a factor since 16-17) and were on the bubble. I think what you actually mean is "with a vastly upgraded defense."

As for the depth, you're taking it on faith that the prospects in the pipeline will pan out. Given we're icing one high profile draft bust now while the next pick is struggling to get any kind of traction as a pro, I'm not sure I share that faith.

I think you've answered your own question here unless of course you're talking about contending for a playoff position, which is the lowest bar.
And that 'healthy' D corps would have had us at 20 wins on the earliest date since 1985. That's despite firing a coach, a below average special teams, a starting goaltender losing his job and the general lack of scoring depth the current roster has.

I'd like to convince you otherwise on the prospect front, but you're a pessimist, so I'd be wasting my time.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

Again, some people's expectations are in the clouds. I'm not sure the Oilers have the horses to be a Tampa Bay-like regular season team, but the Oilers will be a regular playoff contender when its farm system starts churning out regular depth.

IF. IF the Oilers ever manage to start turning prospects into players regularly, we'll probably manage to tread water and get knocked out of the first round yearly until McDavid bails, at which point we go back to, at best, the 90s Oilers who hopefully at least play with grit and heart because no talent is coming back here after we manage to f*** up a team led by Connor McDavid lol.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

You're not sure? haha
We've been waiting on these damn magic beans for 15+ years! Have the Oilers drafted a true top pairing defenseman or 1st line forward outside of the 1st round in that time?
I've usually been able to see some light at the end of the tunnel(faint) but its just dark these days. Chiarelli is the Eakins of management

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Not when Chia keeps wasting assets and getting useless plugs like Manning, Petrovic, Spooner, Reider...

Then again, in your eyes, Chia is doing fine

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
After some thought. This feels exactly like the Strome/Spooner trade. Murray is obviously trying to shake up a team in a tailspin. Logically, the next step is the coach gets axed. Hopefully Eakins gets promoted.
Probably a decent strategic move for the Ducks. Similar production but Ducks get much younger. Ducks are an old team up front. Expect more like this over the next couple years.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
After some thought. This feels exactly like the Strome/Spooner trade. Murray is obviously trying to shake up a team in a tailspin. Logically, the next step is the coach gets axed. Hopefully Eakins gets promoted.
Younger and cheaper with one less year. Was reading last week comments about how Cogs looks done as well in ANA.

Could just be a bad year, but he'll be 32 in June and maybe he has taken a step back for good. Might as well move him if you can. Plus they get a shake up as well.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You're not sure? haha
We've been waiting on these damn magic beans for 15+ years! Have the Oilers drafted a true top pairing defenseman or 1st line forward outside of the 1st round in that time?
I've usually been able to see some light at the end of the tunnel(faint) but its just dark these days. Chiarelli is the Eakins of management
The way some people talk, it's an expectation that this team goes 82-0. We're a 0.500 team in the playoff conversation leading up to the all-star break. This is despite the train wreck of a season that has occurred leading up to now.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
The way some people talk, it's an expectation that this team goes 82-0. We're a 0.500 team in the playoff conversation leading up to the all-star break. This is despite the train wreck of a season that has occurred leading up to now.
Thats true but we definitely don't have the horses to be a Tampa Bay. Hell, I bet they're top pairing D has outscored our bottom 9 forwards :help:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

The team is headed towards the bottom 10 for the 3rd season in 4 with the best player on the planet and look arguably worse now than they did in his rookie season with not much hope to bank on right now so I'm sure you can understand why people are frustrated. You are arguing with people who are justifiably pissed at the current situation.

Reactions: frag2 and Faelko

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Zero chance that the Oilers are landing Tarasenko for just Nurse and there's less than zero chance that the Oilers could make that work capwise. For that package, they'd ask for Draisaitl++.
The ++ would have to be Lucic. Tarasenko and Parayko arent close to Drai in production.

Tarasenko + Parayko (13M)
for
Draisaitl + Lucic (14.5M)

There is no way Tank is returning an elite player.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Teams that aren't in a playoff position at this point of the season tend to stay there. Unless we have a substantial winning streak we aren't making it.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
And that 'healthy' D corps would have had us at 20 wins on the earliest date since 1985. That's despite firing a coach, a below average special teams, a starting goaltender losing his job and the general lack of scoring depth the current roster has.

Again, that healthy d-corps of yours includes a 32 year old who has played 36 games since 16-17 and is likely done as a top 4 NHL D. In other words it's a fantasy.

I'd like to convince you otherwise on the prospect front, but you're a pessimist, so I'd be wasting my time.

You aren't exactly selling me with takes like this either:

We have the best player in a generation. Just good enough isn't good enough.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Fire Chiarelli and let the new GM sell off everything he can at the deadline. I love the Oilers over any individual players so even McDavid is up for grabs if a team wants to gut their entire future for him

Lucic can go with McDavid

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

The problem isn't that expectations are higher than they should be. The problem is that this team is performing exactly as expected based on its roster.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
The ++ would have to be Lucic. Tarasenko and Parayko arent close to Drai in production.

for

I would do that in a heart beat but no way in hell the blues do it

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

for

I said Draisaitl+ is what they will likely ask for if both Tarasenko and Parayko are included, not Tarasenko alone.
There's no reason for St. Louis to do the trade otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad