Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: 1st Rounder in Play? Ruh Roh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
Yes, but some have rose colored glasses it seems in reference to all Oiler players. It was what you use to see on the Edmonton Oilers site, back in the day. Not here.

I get that the lucic deal is way off. But the value on the duchene and simmonds/taffoli are that off? Would would u add 2 1st round picks? Nurse +++++++++ for Simmonds or taffoli?

It's funny how people on here make huge deals sending 3-4 assets the other way for 1 playerin deals, further depleting depth. Which is why oilers are in this current position.

People mention mark stone here. He will be 27 in the offseason. How long before a 7 year deal starts looking ugly for him. Already a below average skater, when do the wheels fall off? 29?30?

Reactions: belair

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
It's not even necessarily a 'competent GM' away. A healthy defense would have us in the mix for the division. A prospect or two making the jump and producing at a reasonable clip puts us in an even better situation moving forward. The way people talk all the time, you'd think the roster would have to be firing on all cylinders to make any noise. In reality, Connor McDavid is likely going to put up this kind of production throughout his 20s onward. As the depth on this roster improves through prospect development, the team's performance ultimately will also.

This is a team that has struggled with the injury of three of its top four D, had its starting G lose his job and has seen the worst goal support beyond its top three Fs in the entire league. They're a win out of a wildcard position. How exactly is this team far away from contending?

At least a Sergei Bobrovsky? I'm not being fasicious. Honestly, this teams weakness for years has been goaltending. Talbot shone for one season. His first season here, lost the job to Nilsson for a little while. Last season, no way was Mclellan letting Brossoit usurp Cam, despite his struggles. This season, Koskinen stole the job for a while...a guy who hadn't played in the NHL for a decade and had 4 NHL games under his belt. I like Koskinen, I think there's something there but f*** me, this team is desperate for a bona fide #1 starting goalie that is or can challenge for a Vezina on a yearly basis.

Yes I know Bob has struggled this year, but I think he's done with C-bus and Torts and is looking for a change of scenery despite being two points out of first in their division.

Edit: and I totally misread your question. I thought you asked how far away the Oilers are from contending. :laugh:... My bad.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
A Sergei Bobrovsky? I'm not being fasicious. Honestly, this teams weakness for years has been goaltending. Talbot shone for one season. His first season here, lost the job to Nilsson for a little while. Last season, no way was Mclellan letting Brossoit usurp Cam, despite his struggles. This season, Koskinen stole the job for a while...a guy who hadn't played in the NHL for a decade and had 4 NHL games under his belt. I like Koskinen, I think there's something there but **** me, this team is desperate for a bona fide #1 starting goalie that is or can challenge for a Vezina.
Nah. I'm one of those guys who thinks the goaltending position isn't one where it's smart to invest a ton of money into it. They're too reliant on what's going on in front of them. Never pay your goalie more than $6m and don't get stuck in long-term contracts with them.

I do agree however that the Oilers have had problems finding consistently reliable goaltending historically. Unfortunately there's no right way to counter that.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Nah. I'm one of those guys who thinks the goaltending position isn't one where it's smart to invest a ton of money into it. They're too reliant on what's going on in front of them. Never pay your goalie more than $6m and don't get stuck in long-term contracts with them.

I do agree however that the Oilers have had problems finding consistently reliable goaltending historically. Unfortunately there's no right way to counter that.

After I posted, I remembered some of the insider guys saying Bob could be looking at Price money. No thank you to that. I think 10% if your cap is the absolute maximum you should be paying your starter and your backup. $6 mill should get you a pretty damn good goalie I think.

Reactions: belair

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Sums up what HFOil has become. Sucks because it used to be realistic back in the day before the fan boys all came over.
It seems like most people just want to armchair GM their way to a roster they can look at and think it has atleast some chance at winning a Cup or making the playoffs at bare minimum, with our present roster being so bad it forces them to bend reality beyond what would normally be the case to get to a satisfactory final product.

It's a bleak thought that even with an exceptional GM at the helm we will likely need a minimum of two off-seasons to repair this roster that Chia has built and even bleaker to think that we are one of the least desirable places to sign as a UFA cause our history of repeated failure despite having the best player in the world on the team.

Reactions: Aerrol and Cloned

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
It seems like most people just want to armchair GM their way to a roster they can look at and think it has atleast some chance at winning a Cup or making the playoffs at bare minimum, with our present roster being so bad it forces them to bend reality beyond what would normally be the case to get to a satisfactory final product.

It's a bleak thought that even with an exceptional GM at the helm we will likely need a minimum of two off-seasons to repair this roster that Chia has built and even bleaker to think that we are one of the least desirable places to sign as a UFA cause our history of repeated failure despite having the best player in the world on the team.

Such a losing mentality. I'm sure drasaitl, mcdavid, rnh will be all over that plan.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Perusing the Hawks board just now and someone posted this doozy of a rumour.

https://reddit.app.link/XptiUtUKsT

During last nights Denver v Omaha game, Announcer’s mentioned that Mitchell has told Denver he isn’t signing (this spring) with Hawks. He intends to play all 4 yrs.
Not sure if Stan is pushing him to sign or stay for another yr or 2?
Hope Mitchell doesn’t pull a Hayes and never sign....

Seeing that he's from the area, Edmonton could potentially have another Schultz situation in a couple years.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
You're telling me the lottery numbers in hindsight right now. No ****, Sherlock. I'm trying to tell you that the Bruins don't generally pick Barzal-type forwards, and moreso, they weren't in a situation where Barzal's development would've gone as seamless as it has on the Island. @Soundwave is trying to use it as an example to discredit Gretzky's ability to find talent in the draft. I'm giving you an example of the thought process that would've likely gone on in their organizational meetings had he come to the table with Barzal as his #1. He didn't fit the Bruins' history of draft choices, nor the type of forwards the Bruins generally target though draft or through trade.

And as of right now, there are still a few balls in the air for the Bruins from that draft as well.

That's not a defense lol. That is ineptitude.

And as I said, even if you want to forget Barzal, the Bruins still took two players who look like busts at 13 and 15 that year. That's not "hindsight" that is "bad pick"

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
and as good as Debrusk has been he's nowhere near the level of Barzal. Barzal was like a top 5 talent in that draft before he got hurt thats like saying Boston wouldn't take Seguin because he didn't fit their usual"Targets" except they did and they had 3 picks in a row they could have wasted one of those on a kid who has majorly high offensive upside and disputing that doesn't somehow make the people in charge of selecting those 3 players instead of him any less culpable.
"

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Such a losing mentality. I'm sure drasaitl, mcdavid, rnh will be all over that plan.
Not so much a plan and more like a realistic outlook on our present circumstance. If you think you can armchair GM us into a 1 year fix while being realistic I'd like to see it.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

The nice thing for RNh is he's almost done his contract He will be able to finally decide on where he wants to paly. And man has he ever earned the UFA status

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The nice thing for RNh is he's almost done his contract He will be able to finally decide on where he wants to paly. And man has he ever earned the UFA status

Guaranteed he signs in Calgary.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I think the skeleton is:

BLANK-McDavid-BLANK
RNH-Draisaitl-BLANK
Benson-BLANK-Yamamoto
Rieder-Khaira-Rattie
Puljujarvi/Brodziak

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-BLANK
Russell-Bouchard
Jones/Benning

Koskinen (as starter? As backup? I don't know)
BLANK

One line driven by McDavid where you can give him cheap wingers with potential, the other driven by RNH/Drai. The youngsters bring energy to line 3 and need a good 3C vet. 4th line is the best of the tweeners.

Puljujarvi has some time to earn a better spot, but I have no idea. He might have to be trade bait too, but I'd rather not give up just yet. Ask me later.

The problem is the money tied up in crap.

Lucic, Spooner, Kassian, Manning, Sekera - 18.8M in unneeded cash. Sekera might go to LTIR island but man oh man how do you get rid of the rest?

I'd bet Kassian is movable. That leaves 3 albatross deals that I have no idea how to move - Lucic, Spooner, Manning.

Russell might be movable if you think Caleb Jones is ready, if you needed the money.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Russell could probably fetch a legit top 6 winger like Bjugstad or Trocheck (with how well Tallon loves defensive D)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
For Tarasenko+Parayko theyd want Nurse, Bouchard, 1st in return. I think we could maybe land Tarasenko for Nurse straight up though if were lucky.

Zero chance that the Oilers are landing Tarasenko for just Nurse and there's less than zero chance that the Oilers could make that work capwise. For that package, they'd ask for Draisaitl++.

I don't see any realistic trades that can make the Oilers appreciably better this season or next. They just have to ride this thing out for a year or two until the bad contracts come off the books and lose term. In the meantime, they will have to go bargain bin shopping.

Also remember, they have to re-sign Chiasson to a more expensive deal and have to find 2 goalies to replace the two now or re-sign one of them and find another one. The only noteworthy salaries coming off the books are Reider and Petrovic, they need to make a decision on Puljujarvi as well. It's a pretty dire cap situation with little relief to be found.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad