Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: 1st Rounder in Play? Ruh Roh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That's an indictment of our team not a plus in his favour.

Just because his middling stats would put him high up on our team in points doesn't mean he's actually all that good.

Not sure how people can't see that.
It's more than the JP that was mentioned as going the other way.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
14 points in 22 games... Yeah he sure is a complete dud. This dud actually could help our team in scoring right now. Please don't call other teams players duds when the majority of our roster is a complete dud

He was a complete dud for Arizona.

Help this team? Well first off all he's in Chicago now so the whole idea of trading for him is moot. Secondly, he is playing with Patrick Kane, one of the best individual players in the entire league. He's one of extremely few players who doesn't need good linemates to produce big numbers and as such will naturally elevate anyone playing on his line.

He's also getting #1 PP time with Toews, Kane and DeBrincat. As yet another left-shot playmaker, who does he replace on the Oilers PP? Strome is a talented player but he does absolutely nothing on his own. He's also a center and not a winger, so not sure where he'd fit here.

To top it off, Strome is a guy who disappears when the going gets tough. Just because he can pile up some points on a team that is way out of the playoff picture doesn't really mean much.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I really didn't notice the Coyotes giving him a chance to play a whole lot. He played 21 games his first year, got 9 points with them after going a ppg in the AHL. Then he played 20 games and, yes only got 6 points. But it wasn't like he's finished or anything. The kid is 21 years old! Also, he never got a chance at top 2 line duty

Strome will have a good NHL career yet, still they take Marner in a heart beat if they could re draft.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He was a complete dud for Arizona.

Help this team? Well first off all he's in Chicago now so the whole idea of trading for him is moot. Secondly, he is playing with Patrick Kane, one of the best individual players in the entire league. He's one of extremely few players who doesn't need good linemates to produce big numbers and as such will naturally elevate anyone playing on his line.

He's also getting #1 PP time with Toews, Kane and DeBrincat. As yet another left-shot playmaker, who does he replace on the Oilers PP? Strome is a talented player but he does absolutely nothing on his own. He's also a center and not a winger, so not sure where he'd fit here.

To top it off, Strome is a guy who disappears when the going gets tough. Just because he can pile up some points on a team that is way out of the playoff picture doesn't really mean much.
A complete dud that they wrote off after 40 games. That's just far too early, especially condisering they gave him nothing to play with.

As for the PP, he only has 3 PP points and 1 goal there, so take that away and he's still doing quite well.

RNH and LD are centers as well

You are talking as if this is some sort of 24 or 25 year old dud, the guy hadn't even been in the NHL for a full year yet.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
That's not how it's being framed by Fridge.

“They have four right-shot defencemen, they’ve been asked about Hamilton. If you’re willing to come back to them with a scorer I think that they would consider doing it.”

It's more about need IMO.

Beggars can't be choosers.
Unfortunately, some here think the Oilers are in a position of power or something.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hamilton would be our best offensive defenseman by a country mile and he'd allow us to bring Bouchard along slowly if need be. Looch will know him from Boston as will Chia and K. Gretzky. You know what sucks worse than a guy that doesn't hang out with his teammates in his own time? LOSING. He would improve the team and as long as we don't pay a premium for him we could always unload him to another team later.

"I don't want Voynov because he's a wife beater" Fair enough, I understand the reasoning.

"I don't want Dougie because he thinks he's the cats meow and doesn't go to keggers with his teammates" We need this player type badly, they can nut up and have one teammate that has his nose in the air if it means winning.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Hamilton would be our best offensive defenseman by a country mile and he'd allow us to bring Bouchard along slowly if need be. Looch will know him from Boston as will Chia and K. Gretzky. You know what sucks worse than a guy that doesn't hang out with his teammates in his own time? LOSING. He would improve the team and as long as we don't pay a premium for him we could always unload him to another team later.

If Carolina wants a scorer back that probably rules us out, though.

North

Jun 25, 2009

"I don't want Voynov because he's a wife beater" Fair enough, I understand the reasoning.

"I don't want Dougie because he thinks he's the cats meow and doesn't go to keggers with his teammates" We need this player type badly, they can nut up and have one teammate that has his nose in the air if it means winning.

Carolina wants a scorer back and we have exactly three. None of which are expendable.

We need an offensive d man as a bridge to Bouchard but we don't have the assets to acquire one.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown

He is weird though, man.

I've run into him a few times. He eats spaghetti with his hands.

Reactions: Aerrol

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I really like Nurse, and I would still include him in a deal for Hamilton. I have to be honest. Hamilton/Larsson as a "1/2" on the Right side of the defense would be a significant thing for this team.

Maybe make it a big deal?

To CAR: Lucic, Nurse, Talbot, Puljujarvi and 1st (2020)

To EDM: Hamilton, Ferland, Darling and Nicolas Roy

Reactions: frag2

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Legitimately though, how attractive would it be to have Aho and Puljujarvi on the same line again for Carolina? That has to have an influence, especially if they're looking for a scorer.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I guess you really could ask Lucic and Spooner what Hamilton's issues really are.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Legitimately though, how attractive would it be to have Aho and Puljujarvi on the same line again for Carolina? That has to have an influence, especially if they're looking for a scorer.

What do you do about the wing depth if we give up one of our few to shore up the d?

I understand we have to give to get but we make our wing situation even more dire if we give up Puljujarvi in a deal for Hamilton.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
What do you do about the wing depth if we give up one of our few to shore up the d?

I understand we have to give to get but we make our wing situation even more dire if we give up Puljujarvi in a deal for Hamilton.
I mean, we might be at a point where we need to recoup on JP's value rather than bank on him turning here. Him being here really isn't adding or subtracting from the forward/winger group at the moment. I don't see how he's any better than Cooper Marody at this point, which is rough, but true.

Reactions: frag2

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
A complete dud that they wrote off after 40 games. That's just far too early, especially condisering they gave him nothing to play with.

As for the PP, he only has 3 PP points and 1 goal there, so take that away and he's still doing quite well.

RNH and LD are centers as well

You are talking as if this is some sort of 24 or 25 year old dud, the guy hadn't even been in the NHL for a full year yet.

I think Strome can have a decent career. Maybe even be a 60 point player in his prime. But I've never liked the player or the effort he brings. Don't think Yotes regret the trade one bit either, Schmaltz has been a much better player for them. Seems he's out for the season with an injury now though.

Strome is basically the archetype of a passenger. I've followed him since the start of his OHL career and I've never liked him and I'm not surprised at all that he didnt't stick with his first NHL team. He's not a guy you win championships with, unless you have a hell of a team to insulate him so he can thrive in his specialized role.

You know, the best game I ever saw Strome play was never in the playoffs or the world juniors or anything like that. His best game I ever saw him play was the final game in the regular season of 2015 when he was 2nd in the OHL scoring race behind Mitch Marner and needed a big performance to win the scoring title. So then the guy goes on and puts up a 6 point night. Meanwhile, when McDavid gets tightly checked in the playoffs later that spring and Strome gets easy matchups, he's nowhere to be found.

I'd a 100 times rather have Stromes old teammate Anthony Cirelli. That's a guy who's never going to win any scoring titles but leaves it all out there on the ice. That's a guy you win championships with. Incredible player.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Chia had Hamilton for 3 seasons in Boston and he wanted him for the Oilers so whatever locker-room/off-ice issue there is he didn't seem to bother about it.

Maybe that's a red flag though..... (hrrmm Manning...)

Cannot really see how we get him, even though I'd love to have him.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I mean, we might be at a point where we need to recoup on JP's value rather than bank on him turning here. Him being here really isn't adding or subtracting from the forward/winger group at the moment. I don't see how he's any better than Cooper Marody at this point, which is rough, but true.

Marody is an AHL player at this point. He hasn't looked like he's ready for the NHL in any of his call ups.

Puljujarvi has at least shown flashes, at 20 years old, of being an NHL player and is literally the only option we have to play at right wing in the top 6 at this point.

We are going to make a bigger hole to fill another hole as a stop gap to Bouchard.

We do not have the assets to trade for an offensive defenseman.

We need to be targeting scoring top 6 wingers IF we do trade Pulju or the 1st.

But first we need Chia gone.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Marody is an AHL player at this point. He hasn't looked like he's ready for the NHL in any of his call ups.

Puljujarvi has at least shown flashes, at 20 years old, of being an NHL player and is literally the only option we have to play at right wing in the top 6 at this point.

We are going to make a bigger hole to fill another hole as a stop gap to Bouchard.

We do not have the assets to trade for an offensive defenseman.

We need to be targeting scoring top 6 wingers IF we do trade Pulju or the 1st.

But first we need Chia gone.
This conversation is just making me sad.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Man, having Chiarelli as a GM just keeps on getting worse and worse.

You have Dougie Hamilton, a young ish, offensive, puck moving, RHD who can put up points and actually play top pairing. This is EXACTLY who the Oilers need. Not only is it a miracle hes available, he could come somewhat cheap. This would be a miracle sent from heaven

Yet we have Pete Chiarelli, whos is going to sit on this thumbs and not do anything

Watch either Toronto or Arizona get him for a couple picks

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Coming from where exactly? All that I've heard about was the Stauffer tweet, is there more smoke than that coming from credible or semi-credible sources?
Lowetides blog had a segment about who dumb dumb may target. He doesnt agree with it, but thats his guess. Staples mused about how many defenders Edmonton has. Friedman speculated Oilers werent done trading. Nothing specific obviously, but when Bagdad Bob starts laying a foundation.....

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Man, having Chiarelli as a GM just keeps on getting worse and worse.

You have Dougie Hamilton, a young ish, offensive, puck moving, RHD who can put up points and actually play top pairing. This is EXACTLY who the Oilers need. Not only is it a miracle hes available, he could come somewhat cheap. This would be a miracle sent from heaven

Yet we have Pete Chiarelli, whos is going to sit on this thumbs and not do anything

Watch either Toronto or Arizona get him for a couple picks

Considering his creepy and off putting demeanor, I'm assuming he's doing more than just *sitting* on those thumbs.

Reactions: Aerrol and frag2

North

Jun 25, 2009
This conversation is just making me sad.

Believe me, it makes me sad to say it.

I definitely agree an offensive d man would be great but looking at what we have to trade and the holes in our lineup especially on wing, we're not a team that can afford to rob from Peter (wing) to pay Paul (defense).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad