Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: 1st Rounder in Play? Ruh Roh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Lowetides blog had a segment about who dumb dumb may target. He doesnt agree with it, but thats his guess. Staples mused about how many defenders Edmonton has. Friedman speculated Oilers werent done trading. Nothing specific obviously, but when Bagdad Bob starts laying a foundation.....

I think Stauffer is the only one we can take at face value because we know he's connected and if he's saying we might end up with a forward who has term, we should listen. Say hello to James Neal everyone. (I'm joking...I hope).

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I may be sticking up for Hamilton as a player, but even I wouldn't trade for him. Something is clearly off behind the scenes, and the risk isn't worth it

It all depends on the price. If we can convince them to take Sekera, and it only costs us say Pulju and a 2nd, why not pull the trigger? If they want say Pulju, Jones, and our 1st, and won’t take back a contract, then you consider the red flags

I think Stauffer is the only one we can take at face value because we know he's connected and if he's saying we might end up with a forward who has term, we should listen. Say hello to James Neal everyone. (I'm joking...I hope).

I’ve actually been wondering if a 3 way deal might work where we end up with Neal. We get Neal, Montreal gets Lucic, and Calgary gets Alzner.

We save a bit of cap and hope Neal can start scoring in an expanded role. Montreal gets an physical veteran leader, and hope that he can bounce back to his old self offensively. Calgary gets the worst player, but saves cap and term (and aside from year 2, has a more buyout friendly contract)

Last edited:

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
Seriously though.....when have the Oilers....ever.....got above average return trading a top 6/4 player?
Well, I'd say MacT got a good return on Perron. Got more than he paid for him, and it was during a bit of a down year for him as well. That the pick was 16 OA when it was expected to be much later was a godsend, but even a late first would have been more than fair I figure.

Reactions: The Nuge

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Love hemsky.

but you can argue they lost that.
Guerin was gone at the end of his contract though. That was a pretty good return.

The first Pronger trade is another one as mentioned above. Besides those, nothing else comes to mind. The Oilers always sell low.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Man, having Chiarelli as a GM just keeps on getting worse and worse.

You have Dougie Hamilton, a young ish, offensive, puck moving, RHD who can put up points and actually play top pairing. This is EXACTLY who the Oilers need. Not only is it a miracle hes available, he could come somewhat cheap. This would be a miracle sent from heaven

Yet we have Pete Chiarelli, whos is going to sit on this thumbs and not do anything

Watch either Toronto or Arizona get him for a couple picks

Yep, and we can’t even match that without begging them to take a contract back because of our cap space.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Guerin was gone at the end of his contract though. That was a pretty good return.

The first Pronger trade is another one as mentioned above. Besides those, nothing else comes to mind. The Oilers always sell low.
Up until Hall and Eberle who could we have really dealt? We've always had to keep guys as there was nothing. Sure we dealt Hemsky, Horcoff, Petry, Gagner and others at their lowest however we so badly needed those guys to succeed.

Penner was actually a good one. Simply because McGuire said no way can we get a 1st for him.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Well, I'd say MacT got a good return on Perron. Got more than he paid for him, and it was during a bit of a down year for him as well. That the pick was 16 OA when it was expected to be much later was a godsend, but even a late first would have been more than fair I figure.
Yup, the return on Perron was great. As was Tambellini's return for Penner.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Yup, the return on Perron was great. As was Tambellini's return for Penner.
giphy.gif

no really though.

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017

Oilers player is playing bad.
Oilers player gets traded.
Return is garbage.
Oilers management and fans:

Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.jpg

Reactions: TB12 and Aerrol

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
Except when a player is playing good no one wants him traded. It’s a lose lose situation to be fair.

I think sometimes it's for the greater good if they are maybe having a career year. Someone like Chiasson.
You're correct that no-one would want to trade them but if you could get a better player that way, maybe you bite.

oilcountry17

Aug 27, 2007
edmonton
Nurse Lucic Benning (1 st 2019 lottery protected) for Hamilton and Rask
lines become:
Drai Mcdavid Rattie
Rieder Nuge Chia
Khaira Rask Pulj
Spooner Brodz Kass
Gam

Klef Lars
Russel Hamilton
Gravel Petrovic
Manning

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
It's sad that the Oilers have been reduced to literally 3 top 9 NHL forwards and then a bunch of trash.

I have no idea how to fix it yet without serious overhaul.

X-McDavid-Draisaitl
X-RNH-X
Benson-X-Yamamoto

would be my top nine skeleton for now. Jujhar can get in there if he's more consistent. Puljujarvi is going to need to really get it going soon.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Oilers player is playing bad.
Oilers player gets traded.
Return is garbage.
Oilers management and fans:

Oilers management builds team with absolutely no depth or support
Players struggle with no support
Player is traded away for pennies on the dollar
Player rebounds on new team with proper depth

Reactions: Canada Drai

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Perron for Pitts 1st was the best one in awhile. But it was short lived.

I remember drooling of the thought of Barzal falling to the 16th pick for months only to be slapped in the face on draft day

Reactions: Aerrol

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Believe me, it makes me sad to say it.

I definitely agree an offensive d man would be great but looking at what we have to trade and the holes in our lineup especially on wing, we're not a team that can afford to rob from Peter (wing) to pay Paul (defense).

Imagine saying this line in the summer of 2015, youd be laughed off stage. "Oilers being deficient on the wing?! are you kidding, the Oilers are loaded with wingers?!"

Damn, how bad PC has screwed this team up

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Nurse Lucic Benning (1 st 2019 lottery protected) for Hamilton and Rask
lines become:
Drai Mcdavid Rattie
Rieder Nuge Chia
Khaira Rask Pulj
Spooner Brodz Kass
Gam

Klef Lars
Russel Hamilton
Gravel Petrovic
Manning

Rask and Lucic is a swap that definitely makes a lot of sense. If Rask bounces back and puts up 35-45 points, great. If not, Lucic’s 4 year, 6 million caphit turns into a 6 year, 1.33 buyout (or 4 years if you give him a year to prove himself). Not great, but at least it’s stomachable, and opens up the cap space to bring in someone else. And we don’t have to deal with Looch playing in the west, because let’s face it, he’s not putting up points, but he’s still a nightmare for the opposition physically.

Imagine saying this line in the summer of 2015, youd be laughed off stage. "Oilers being deficient on the wing?! are you kidding, the Oilers are loaded with wingers?!"

Damn, how bad PC has screwed this team up

No kidding. We basically just kept trading wingers until we went from ok offense and bad defense to bad offense, and ok defense. It’s hard to believe he hasn’t been able to even slightly address the issues. Just shift it to a different position.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
It's sad that the Oilers have been reduced to literally 3 top 9 NHL forwards and then a bunch of trash.

I have no idea how to fix it yet without serious overhaul.
I really hope that it's just a case of one or two guys that just don't work here, along with everyone else being played in roles above their heads. Much like our D of years passed, if you could add one or two more solid impact guys that push everyone else down, it may work itself into place nicely.

"Hope" being the key word here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad