Rumour, Trade, FA 2020-2021 COVID edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I think signing him to that contract actually increases his trade value. I'm not a fan of moving him but I understand the reasons. It's not just his anticipated contract demands.

Got it

Same as connor and ehlers their value are higher.

I'm just trying to figure out if still Laine is the one people wants to trade even if he is signed.

I got my answer...

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
That's hypothetical. Now say Laine doesn't want to sign long term after this season and files for arbitration. Well that's the exact same situation as Trouba 2 years ago. We can squeeze one more year, but each year closer to free agency lessens his value in terms of trade value. So the inevitable is a trade because you don't let a player of his calibre leave for nothing. It's not a clear path. I don't see a pressing need to trade him this year, he could have a breakout year. But if an offer came that Chevy felt improved the team as a whole this year and for years coming, what do you do?

Yes i know

I just wanted to see if people will still trade Laine as the 1st option even on a good long term.

As i thought the fear is trade Laine because he might not sign to get a good value.

i got my answer.

Thanks

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Based on the numbers of teams cutting their spending (17 or more based on reports possibly) to some internal number (70 million roughly for some) well below the cap........I suspect many small market teams fans are going to be pretty disappointed in their teams activities & non activities. I'm preparing myself for some big news or lack of news that most here aren't going to love. But in the end the NHL is a business, businesses must make money above all else or die.........I suspect Jets nation is going to be disappointed this offseason.

If we have an internal budget well below the cap I understand that. This is going to be a tough year for NHL teams full stop. There are lots of unknowns and teams have to plan for the worst case which is zero fans in the buildings for 2020-2021. TNSE Didn’t get to where they got to without running that scenario and then building a budget off of it.

Reactions: surixon

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm just not sure they are ready to be major contributors by the time Scheif is gone. Which is my main focus right now. I know it's an unpopular opinion but all moves should be about the Scheif, Ehlers, Connor, Laine, Morrissey, Pionk, Hellebuyck core and making this core a contender because if we don't then we have wasted 2 cores.
I don't see us as wasting our so called first core. The core we got from Atlanta was never close to being contender quality. It came earning a 7th OA pick and stayed in that range for several years, and it wasn't until the younger core started getting closer to their primes that we pushed into contender status. We had a brief overlap when the younger core was mostly all on ELC's or bridge deals bringing salary value, but even then Buff and Wheeler were the only holdovers from the first core and our success was mostly driven by our young drafted core.

IMO Chevy knows stands at a crossroad. He has a young core that has a lot of the necessary talent to contend, but it's makeup is flawed. The players for the most part have their big boy contracts in place or close to it, but too much of the team's talent is concentrated in the position of least importance. Chevy can either make the tough decisions to rebalance, which likely involves a Laine trade since he has the most uncertain contract status and he would bring the best return. Or Chevy can hope to hit a home run or 2 at the draft table, and hope the unique circumstances of the times land a UFA/RFA answer on his doorstep. Probably both needs to happen to actually find ourselves back as a true contender.

Reactions: ps241

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Chevy said the team will be competitive. I can't see how all these teams get under $70 million, where does the money go? I mean Pietrangelo, Krug, Hall those guys are going to get paid. Khudobin, Lehner, Markstrom, Holtby. RFAs like Barzal, Dubois, Cirelli, Sergachev, De Angelo, Mantha.

Those players alone will drive up salaries. And then some salaries will have to fall out to teams at the floor. But they have players to sign too.

You can count on Ottawa and Arizona scraping the floor. Detroit will be closer than most years.

But most teams are looking at having to sign about 7-10 players this offseason, and are already in the $64 million range. So maybe 5 teams will be able to get under $75 million this season. LTIR might eat up some of that existing space, but the system is fluid, you can't just take money out of it, you can only reduce the amount going in.

I expect the Jets to be under the Cap with Little's salary included, how much under, my guess is probably $2-$3 million. So there's room for investment. Probably 2 UFAs and 1 player acquired through trade. Main thing for the Jets is to find a way to get some draft picks back in to the system, when it may have cost Chevy 2 more middle round picks last year just to get near the playoffs, without keeping those players.
Some back-of-the-envelope calculations:

- Roslovic at $2.3M
- Harkins, Appleton, Niku at $850k (QO's basically)
- Beaulieu at $1M
- Brossoit at $1M

Without Little (I'm assuming his contract is insured) you are at $65-66M in actual salary (cap hit around $68-69M)

Would leave us needing one RHD and one C... figure about $6M to spend on both, not counting any trades. That gets you to a $72M payroll in real dollars.

I expect Chevy to be bargain hunting amongst the buy-outs and unqualified RFAs. Nothing earth shattering.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slade Logan

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

- Roslovic at $2.3M
- Beaulieu at $1M
- Brossoit at $1M

Without Little (I'm assuming his contract is insured) you are at $65-66M in actual salary (cap hit around $68-69M)

Would leave us needing one RHD and one C... figure about $6M to spend on both, not counting any trades. That gets you to a $72M payroll in real dollars.

I expect Chevy to be bargain hunting amongst the buy-outs and unqualified RFAs. Nothing earth shattering.

Yay. That means Chevy will let DeMelo walk and probably sign Hamonic.

So, how does the 2021 draft look?

Reactions: boydkc

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Agreed though I think we can still see a blockbuster depending on the actual salary coming in. Sme potential RD that would make less then their cap hit that the org may pursue to fill the top pairing role:

Ekblad - only $2 million in actual salary (5.5 million less then his cap hit) Rumored available
Dumba - $4.8 million in salary ($1.2 million less then cap hit) - Rumored available
Parayko - $3.35 million in salary ($2.25 million less then cap hit) - May need to move him to bring back Pietroangelo

Fair point. I have no doubt Chevy now has a internal budget to work with, so those are the things he will look at, plus I wonder if any of our lesser RFA don’t get a Q offer.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Chevy said the team will be competitive. I can't see how all these teams get under $70 million, where does the money go? I mean Pietrangelo, Krug, Hall those guys are going to get paid. Khudobin, Lehner, Markstrom, Holtby. RFAs like Barzal, Dubois, Cirelli, Sergachev, De Angelo, Mantha.

Those players alone will drive up salaries. And then some salaries will have to fall out to teams at the floor. But they have players to sign too.

You can count on Ottawa and Arizona scraping the floor. Detroit will be closer than most years.

But most teams are looking at having to sign about 7-10 players this offseason, and are already in the $64 million range. So maybe 5 teams will be able to get under $75 million this season. LTIR might eat up some of that existing space, but the system is fluid, you can't just take money out of it, you can only reduce the amount going in.

I expect the Jets to be under the Cap with Little's salary included, how much under, my guess is probably $2-$3 million. So there's room for investment. Probably 2 UFAs and 1 player acquired through trade. Main thing for the Jets is to find a way to get some draft picks back in to the system, when it may have cost Chevy 2 more middle round picks last year just to get near the playoffs, without keeping those players.

Well being competitive is a very vague statement TBH. Signing DeMelo and nothing is would make us a bubble team which is competitive......fairly certain much of this board would be unhappy with so little moves.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Fair point. I have no doubt Chevy now has a internal budget to work with, so those are the things he will look at, plus I wonder if any of our lesser RFA don’t get a Q offer.

Most of those RFA's will be on two way deals though and on the Moose. I cant see most not being qualified if they have uses for them ob the farm team.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

- Roslovic at $2.3M
- Beaulieu at $1M
- Brossoit at $1M

If you're including Littles salary, then they think he'll be fit to play and they wlnt be looking too hard for 2c with that 6 mil.

If they don't think he'll be back, his 5.x can be added to that 6 mil due to ltir and they have close to 12 to work with.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
If we have an internal budget well below the cap I understand that. This is going to be a tough year for NHL teams full stop. There are lots of unknowns and teams have to plan for the worst case which is zero fans in the buildings for 2020-2021. TNSE Didn’t get to where they got to without running that scenario and then building a budget off of it.

agreed

I can see Chevy trying to be creative this offseason but hands being very much tied with the internal budget. This could be a reason for a “business driven trade” to get rid of a bigger cap hit which then gives him some room to operate and fill needs or shuffle the cards on his team make up. Aka a big cap hit winger gone and a 2C brought in plus other Futures pieces possibly depending which one was traded.

Reactions: ps241

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
If the team has an internal cap (most likely), is there a chance Perreault's contract gets bought out? What is his actual salary for this season?

EDIT: wait, that makes no sense. Damn coffee hasn't kicked in yet, nevermind :laugh:

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
If the team has an internal cap (most likely), is there a chance Perreault's contract gets bought out? What is his actual salary for this season?

EDIT: wait, that makes no sense. Damn coffee hasn't kicked in yet, nevermind :laugh:
7059AE49-7002-4267-ABEC-FECE85E01D50.jpeg

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Haha yeah they would still have to pay it. It's more likley they just play out his last season with him on the 4th line. We are in a good enough spot to probably weather the storm for the year. I'd be surprised if the Jets sign anyone major. They will likely go out and try and acquire some cheap talent for the year like Nylander or Ekblad. I'm thinking that given the experiment in Dallas we will likely have fans in some capacity, at least in the states. It's a dry run for the league.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You can't sign Bobrovsky to a $10 million deal one year, and then trade your best defenseman the next to save salary. That's ludicrous. It would have to be a trade for Laine, and then they sign a defenseman on the market. Only way it works for either team. Some sources have said that Viola has instructed management they want results now, or things are going to change. Those things could be ownership, and who knows how long that franchise can survive, in suburban Miami, with no fans, and no arena revenues to offset no fans.

Laine called Barkov one of his idols, so maybe that's a place he'd like to play.

Jets can't ask for a better deal than getting a cost controlled top pairing defenseman for 5 more years, and the idea of having that top pairing for 5 years takes a lot of pressure off management.

A lot of other pieces can fall into place, starting at the draft.

It would be a shame to lose Laine, but Ekblad's a solid return, with longer term. That's hard to ignore. I think if this past season taught us anything it's that impact defensemen can't be easily replaced. Even with Vezina goaltending.

Yes - except ownership came out and said they were tired of spending the money and not winning. They fired the GM and indicated a sharp change in direction. So you can sign Bob for 10 mil 1 year and start dumping salary the next.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Chevy has to be all over Ekblad if he's available.

Saw Pietrangelo linked to CGY, VGK, and TOR.

Idk about CGY's cap situation but if they gotta move out salary; hopefully one of their Cs - Monahan or Backlund are made available to make Pietrangelo fit (i doubt they'd move Lindholm at his current deal + production)

if he goes to VGK - maybe they'd move Stastny? to make it fit

if he goes to TOR - maybe W.Nylander? to make it fit

there's potential for deals to be made (just like every year) hopefully Chevy doesn't let these opportunities pass him by again..... backlund has full ntc and Stastny m-ntc

you'd have to get rid of perreault on our side to make it fit probably, and Little on LTIR

Reactions: Nedarb

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
If you're including Littles salary, then they think he'll be fit to play and they wlnt be looking too hard for 2c with that 6 mil.

If they don't think he'll be back, his 5.x can be added to that 6 mil due to ltir and they have close to 12 to work with.
I'm far from a doctor, but I don't think Little plays again :(

I don't think they're going to spend that money on anyone else, though, at least not until there are fans back in the building. JMO, but I think they come $3-4M under the cap, even with Little on the books.

This isn't necessarily the end of the world. There could be a LOT of good players either bought out, not qualified or traded for at low cost. Even the roster I posted above (if you add DeMelo for a full season) is better than what we had last year.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Idk about CGY's cap situation but if they gotta move out salary; hopefully one of their Cs - Monahan or Backlund are made available to make Pietrangelo fit (i doubt they'd move Lindholm at his current deal + production)

there's potential for deals to be made (just like every year) hopefully Chevy doesn't let these opportunities pass him by again..... backlund has full ntc and Stastny m-ntc

you'd have to get rid of perreault on our side to make it fit probably, and Little on LTIR

Calgary has plenty of cap space. I have nonidea how either Vegas or Toronto can clear enough to make it fit.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'm far from a doctor, but I don't think Little plays again :(

I don't think they're going to spend that money on anyone else, though, at least not until there are fans back in the building. JMO, but I think they come $3-4M under the cap, even with Little on the books.

This isn't necessarily the end of the world. There could be a LOT of good players either bought out, not qualified or traded for at low cost. Even the roster I posted above (if you add DeMelo for a full season) is better than what we had last year.
Based on his interview, I tend to agree about little's future. The good news (if there is any) is that I believe (and could be wrong) insurance pays for littles salary if he is LTIR, not TNSE

Does anyone have a tally of how much salary the jets are actually on the books to pay this season vs their cap number?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Based on his interview, I tend to agree about little's future. The good news (if there is any) is that I believe (and could be wrong) insurance pays for littles salary if he is LTIR, not TNSE

Does anyone have a tally of how much salary the jets are actually on the books to pay this season vs their cap number?

They have an estimated salary expenditure of $62.7 million atm with a projected cap 65.9 million. That is including Little, if he's out then likely only $58 million in salary expenditure.

Reactions: Buffdog

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

The bolded is the tough part. With the flat cap I think he'll be an expensive contract to move. Patrick Marleau cost a 1st rounder to get out of his $6.25m cap hit. I don't think moving Perreault would cost a 1st, but a 2nd I could definitely see being the asking price.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The Athletic reported that Pietrangelo was offered $8 million x 8 seasons (4 days ago) which wasn't enough and both parties mutually agreed that the defensemen would head to the free-agent market October 9th.

He's going to get paid but not by St Louis who will probably be on an internal cap.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The bolded is the tough part. With the flat cap I think he'll be an expensive contract to move. Patrick Marleau cost a 1st rounder to get out of his $6.25m cap hit. I don't think moving Perreault would cost a 1st, but a 2nd I could definitely see being the asking price.

A Perrault buyout would allow the Jets to save 1/3 of his salary and allow them defer another 1/3 to the 21-22 season. I can totally see them buying him out to save money this year.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad