Rumour, Trade, FA 2020-2021 COVID edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
A Perrault buyout would allow the Jets to save 1/3 of his salary and allow them defer another 1/3 to the 21-22 season. I can totally see them buying him out to save money this year.

Hate the cap implication next season of that. It's possible, I just don't like it.

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
Chevy has to be all over Ekblad if he's available.

Saw Pietrangelo linked to CGY, VGK, and TOR.

Idk about CGY's cap situation but if they gotta move out salary; hopefully one of their Cs - Monahan or Backlund are made available to make Pietrangelo fit (i doubt they'd move Lindholm at his current deal + production)

if he goes to VGK - maybe they'd move Stastny? to make it fit

if he goes to TOR - maybe W.Nylander? to make it fit

there's potential for deals to be made (just like every year) hopefully Chevy doesn't let these opportunities pass him by again..... backlund has full ntc and Stastny m-ntc

you'd have to get rid of perreault on our side to make it fit probably, and Little on LTIR

what if Chevy can get pietro and ekblad :naughty:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I guess Vegas is going to move Fleury to have enough room to sign Pietrangelo. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in Buffalo

Been told that Tampa will be active after the finals and they want to sign Serg to a long term deal. I expect that to be in the 7+ range.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
The risk that the season is interrupted or cancelled is a factor as well. If I'm Chevy, I'm cautious with any moves where the biggest benefits are expected in 2020-21.

How to balance being competitive this year while avoiding making all-in moves that may get scrapped due to external forces...

Reactions: hn777

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
I guess Vegas is going to move Fleury to have enough room to sign Pietrangelo. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in Buffalo

Been told that Tampa will be active after the finals and they want to sign Serg to a long term deal. I expect that to be in the 7+ range.

come to us cirellI baby

Reactions: hn777 and MardyBum
Nov 24, 2006
Anyone else feel that there might be a Chevy blockbuster this off-season?

We're higher end winger heavy with Wheeler, Laine, Connor and Ehlers, Little is an unknown, and even then we still need a long term 2C, and the defence is shaky with a couple of guys like Samberg and Heinola we *think* may make the team next year.

I have no info, but my gut tells me that this team is going to have a major shakeup. Not sure why, but I've been thinking of it a bit lately.

Reactions: Easternbull

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yeah but they want to sign Lehner to a long term deal as well. Don't aee how Vegas can make enough room.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

We're higher end winger heavy with Wheeler, Laine, Connor and Ehlers, Little is an unknown, and even then we still need a long term 2C, and the defence is shaky with a couple of guys like Samberg and Heinola we *think* may make the team next year.

I have no info, but my gut tells me that this team is going to have a major shakeup. Not sure why, but I've been thinking of it a bit lately.

Nope. I'm expecting no trades or acquisitions of any real significance. Minor roster shuffling, depth pieces.

BeneficialAccomplishedAmphibian-small.gif

Hands up if that made you yawn. :laugh:

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

They'll be needing to clear some salary to get him on a long term deal, gimme gimme Tampa C's.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The Athletic reported that Pietrangelo was offered $8 million x 8 seasons (4 days ago) which wasn't enough and both parties mutually agreed that the defensemen would head to the free-agent market October 9th.

He's going to get paid but not by St Louis who will probably be on an internal cap.
i think he's hung up on the structure of the deal.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Nope. I'm expecting no trades or acquisitions of any real significance. Minor roster shuffling, depth pieces.

Kind of the way I'm leaning. Unless there is someone who calls up Chevy and says he would rather be fishing than playing hockey OR someone in the last year of their contract demanding a trade... we are going to sign a couple of our RFAs , hope Little plays, hope some of our young talent can step up to fill the holes and if not, sign some borderline NHLers.

... oh, and hope Helly can carry us again.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Kind of the way I'm leaning. Unless there is someone who calls up Chevy and says he would rather be fishing than playing hockey OR someone in the last year of their contract demanding a trade... we are going to sign a couple of our RFAs , hope Little plays, hope some of our young talent can step up to fill the holes and if not, sign some borderline NHLers.

... oh, and hope Helly can carry us again.

How many goalies play at a Vezina level in consecutive years? But that's fine. The next season (whenever that happens) will in all likelihood be a non-contending year. Regular Helly just illuminates the weaknesses and positions us more appropriately in the standings for a better draft pick.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
They should have some time to put some pieces into place before the season starts that should make us better. Pretty hard going into last season with Buff then the Little injuries.

They seem to be looking for center help more than anything. I think they might be looking to take some deals with Salary if it gets them draft picks or prospects in return. Wonder if we are on Statsnys no trade list or not. I would take him back for a year

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
How about Nick Schmaltz as a 2C solution from Arizona? If they're blowing shit up over there, I wonder if they'd move him and at what cost. He's only 24 and signed a decent $5.85 for the next six years, definitely fits the core age group. He's a Sioux alum, won a national championship with Poolman (versus Connor, incidentally), so there's a big of familiarity there. At this stage, he's a 40-50 point player in Arizona, got to think that would increase playing with better wingers here.

Maybe someone with better knowledge of the underlying stats can chime in as to whether he'd be a good fit? I don't know how he is defensively. He doesn't appear to be all that efficient on actual faceoffs, so really don't know. He's listed as a center only, so I'm assuming that's where he plays.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

Nope. I see it being a very slow offseason. Even for Chevy

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They should have some time to put some pieces into place before the season starts that should make us better. Pretty hard going into last season with Buff then the Little injuries.

They seem to be looking for center help more than anything. I think they might be looking to take some deals with Salary if it gets them draft picks or prospects in return. Wonder if we are on Statsnys no trade list or not. I would take him back for a year

I have thought about taking Stastney back if Vegas pays us.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Contract structure to be a major factor in NHL Free Agent Frenzy - TSN.ca

“I would advise players to take as little as possible up front, then get as much as possible in years four, five and six,” one prominent agent said.

“I’ve told my players to expect a crunch,” the agent continued. “Expect teams to be capped out. There will be very few UFA dollars. The goal should be to stay in the league as opposed to getting dollars or term.”

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Contract structure to be a major factor in NHL Free Agent Frenzy - TSN.ca

“I would advise players to take as little as possible up front, then get as much as possible in years four, five and six,” one prominent agent said.

“I’ve told my players to expect a crunch,” the agent continued. “Expect teams to be capped out. There will be very few UFA dollars. The goal should be to stay in the league as opposed to getting dollars or term.”

None of this surprises me. Perhaps we are best served waiting and seeing if we can find some bargains in UFA.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
agreed. i doubt we see any big deals from him, but sure is fun to talk about. i mean, this is off-season #3 of talking about an upgrade at 2c... maybe third time's a charm?

No it won’t be. There will definitely be an internal cap this year.

Not only that but there will be no fans and no pressure for ticket sales. It’s a perfect recipe for rookies and a tank year

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Pretty funny how SN poked fun at Habs fans offers on public forums of Domi, Mete/Kulak & 1st Rd pick for Laine. You know your offer has been posted too many times when the national news agencies even make fun of you.

SN quote:

But take your Domi/Danault, Mete/Kulak and a first suggestions and save them for some outdated message board."

Five power forwards the Canadiens would love to acquire through trade - Sportsnet.ca

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Pretty funny how SN poked fun at Habs fans offers on public forums of Domi, Mete/Kulak & 1st Rd pick for Laine. You know your offer has been posted too many times when the national news agencies even make fun of you.

SN quote:

But take your Domi/Danault, Mete/Kulak and a first suggestions and save them for some outdated message board."
:laugh: shots fired at HF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad