Rumour, Trade, FA 2020-2021 COVID edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
NHL GMs preparing for new economic realities brought on by COVID-19

Interesting read on how GM’s and players are expecting Covid to effect the cap and spending......going to be some surprising trades, non qual players, etc

I think it’s going to be so hard to know how to play it......oh to be a fly on the wall. Cap space should be a more massive asset than usual. Act fast or wait and keep the powder dry for the real deals? Jump in or stay out and risk missing the action and be left standing their without a chair when the music stops?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Lets look at Florida, if they move Ekblad they have Stralman, Pysk and Brown on RD so they will almost assuredly want a cheaper RD back. They also look like they will be loosing a lot of wing talent to UFA this year in Hoffman, Dadanov and Haula, so they likey want a cheap winger that can play middle 6 back. So the basis of my package would be Pionk and Roslovic. Both fill areas of need for the Panthers and wont break the bank.

Pionk makes only $3.15 million
Roslovic likely only gets 2 to $2.5 million

So Florida sheds $2 to 2.5 million in cap space but gets two roster spots filled.

As for future's I would be willing to give up a 2021 first and any prospect not named Heinola/Samberg.

I would also be willing to eat Connelly's contract if Florida wants to shed more salary ($3.5 million AAV for another 3 years)

Ehlers Scheifele Laine
Conner Copp Wheeler
Harkins Lowry Connelly
Perrault Gus/Shore Appelton

Morrissey Ekblad
Samberg DeMelo
Meril Poolman/Heinola

That's a great trade for us, but if that were Brian Mc Cabe's first deal as GM, he's probably destroyed the Panthers.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Yes. He is better - defensively - than any of the men who played that position for us this year. That supports Pionk. And he won't need big money or too long term.
You do realize how much this guy has been a healthy scratch during his career?

Reactions: voyageur

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That's a great trade for us, but if that were Brian Mc Cabe's first deal as GM, he's probably destroyed the Panthers.

It really depends on what their motivation is to move him, I would move Laine for Ekblad myself but if they refuse to take on much salary then it gets tricky.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
It really depends on what their motivation is to move him, I would move Laine for Ekblad myself but if they refuse to take on much salary then it gets tricky.

@ps241 is right it's completely uncertain this offseason. Nobody is talking about internal budgets, but obviously some will be lower.

Teams like Tampa, the Isles and Vancouver are really stuck this offseason, and will have to try to unload some contracts to sign key players.

The UFA crop has about 20-30 players that should get divvied up, at market value. A lot of them are goalies or RD. I'd say there are only 4 big UFA forwards this year, so far, in Hall, Hoffman, Dadonov, and Granlund. No centres of significance. Then the next tier is looking at taking paycuts, some might sign for bargains, if there are no fits. RFAs are uncertain in their value, how high can they push a market with no equity? Is it better to bridge now, and earn later, in 2 years there could be some growth. Some may be too expensive to get qualified. Some teams may buyout their cap problems this year. Some like Dallas are carrying over their success this year against the Cap next year. Then there are expansion draft considerations.

Teams like Ottawa and Detroit could take on a couple of bad contracts or LTIR players for high draft picks. Start their tank from day 1.

You know Dubas will do something to address his defense.

It's not cottage season so maybe Chevy is ready to make some moves. The Jets could be a team that takes on a bad salary for a year, for draft picks, which can help long term.

The Jets have over $9 million in Cap space allocated to Little and Perreault this year. Does anyone know if Little will be at training camp? The odds are not favourable, but that's significant Cap space, and if Little returns at some point, the Jets need to make it available.

It makes for good discussion but no one really knows what to expect.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Yeah seems like their entire reasoning for moving Ekblad is to get out of the contractual obligations. Sounds liek they want mostly futures.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah seems like their entire reasoning for moving Ekblad is to get out of the contractual obligations. Sounds like they want mostly futures.

Yeah, if they are just looking for future's its going to be hard for them to find a team with the cap space that is going to be willing to take most of the salary burden this year.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Main Board has a rumour, allegedly from reputable source, that Ekblad may be available. Think this is something we can reasonably sink our teeth into? If so, what is the cost? Is this a Laine potential destination if he is on the block?
Laine + Pionk for Ekblad + Tippett + Borgstrom

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Agreed. A realistic plan to entice Wheeler to waive his full NMC should be part of any post saying move
NMC is all about control. If a better opportunity to win a Cup presents itself why do you assume he wouldn't jump at it? His time is running out and it's not happening here.

I do wonder how he'd respond to being asked to take on a more supportive role. Can't hold back younger superior talents forever. If he comes off line 1 and the top PP unit it's going to be a struggle for him to break 50+ points.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah, if they are just looking for future's its going to be hard for them to find a team with the cap space that is going to be willing to take most of the salary burden this year.

Ekblad is only owed $2m in real dollars this coming season. Next season after that it's $9m, next after that it's $6m. So for this coming season Ekblad is a real attractive option for nay team that feels like they can rebound financially by 2021/22.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
NJ has to be wanting for a goal scorer to play with Hughes and Hischier.
How about Laine and pick #40 to NJ.
Zacha, Severson, picks #7 and #18 to Wpg.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
NJ has to be wanting for a goal scorer to play with Hughes and Hischier.
How about Laine and pick #40 to NJ.
Zacha, Severson, picks #7 and #18 to Wpg.

Zacha is not really any better than Lowry. We'd have like three 3C's. Severson is interesting but not what I'm after. I'd much rather go after another package that includes an upswing 3C. Zacha is a career 3C.

Reactions: bennylundholm

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think it’s going to be so hard to know how to play it......oh to be a fly on the wall. Cap space should be a more massive asset than usual. Act fast or wait and keep the powder dry for the real deals? Jump in or stay out and risk missing the action and be left standing their without a chair when the music stops?

Based on the numbers of teams cutting their spending (17 or more based on reports possibly) to some internal number (70 million roughly for some) well below the cap........I suspect many small market teams fans are going to be pretty disappointed in their teams activities & non activities. I'm preparing myself for some big news or lack of news that most here aren't going to love. But in the end the NHL is a business, businesses must make money above all else or die.........I suspect Jets nation is going to be disappointed this offseason.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Zacha is not really any better than Lowry. We'd have like three 3C's. Severson is interesting but not what I'm after. I'd much rather go after another package that includes an upswing 3C. Zacha is a career 3C.
Ya, I agree with you.
We could draft Rossi, Quinn and Zary with the picks.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Laine + Pionk for Ekblad + Tippett + Borgstrom

It we are sending them Pionk and getting back Tippett that's not cost control for the Panthers. They take on more salary with Laine vs. Ekblad, which can at least offset itself in that the Panthers don't have to sign Hoffman or Dadonov, and they can probably find a cheap enough alternative on defense if they want, whether it be a Barrie, Schultz, etc. But losing Tippett is their best prospect and a cost controlled solution to replace the other half of Hoffman or Dadonov. They'd still need a centre for something of a 2nd line though.

I'd say that Laine for Ekblad is a pretty straight up trade, especially with the extra term in Ekblad's favour. If they want to add Borgstrom, who seems to be going nowhere in FLA and would probably like a new start, well that's another potential centre at least, though likely for the 4th line to start.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Based on the numbers of teams cutting their spending (17 or more based on reports possibly) to some internal number (70 million roughly for some) well below the cap........I suspect many small market teams fans are going to be pretty disappointed in their teams activities & non activities. I'm preparing myself for some big news or lack of news that most here aren't going to love. But in the end the NHL is a business, businesses must make money above all else or die.........I suspect Jets nation is going to be disappointed this offseason.

I expect outside of signing our RFA's, possibly DeMelo and a cheap UFA dmen (Could be Merill or one of Beau) any major salary coming in will be offset by salary going out somewhere else.

Reactions: RabidOne

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ekblad is only owed $2m in real dollars this coming season. Next season after that it's $9m, next after that it's $6m. So for this coming season Ekblad is a real attractive option for nay team that feels like they can rebound financially by 2021/22.

Good catch on Ekblad's salary this year. Yeah at two million he'd be pretty affordable to most any team.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I understand
Im just being optimistic now.

I just dont want anymore our teambeing gutted that we watched being built the last 9 years.
Some to the teams inadequate to move faster, some to surprise and others.

If Harkins or Roslo slot in one of the 2nd line.
They can platoon the 2C with Wheels.

if it’s a platoon of these players, we’re not making it out of the first round.

enough of this stop gap BS. We need a legit 2C.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I expect outside of signing our RFA's, possibly DeMelo and a cheap UFA dmen (Could be Merill or one of Beau) any major salary coming in will be offset by salary going out somewhere else.

Agreed

I see a lot of grand ideas here, but I suspect what the Jets actually do is going to be far less due to lost revenues (covid). I’m preparing myself for it already.

Reactions: ps241
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->