Rumour, Trade, FA 2020-2021 COVID edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Cup final going still, I highly doubt Chevy takes anything away from the Cup final by doing any deals until it's over.

Pretty much two weeks and counting until the draft, we will have a pretty good idea within that time period on what trades he will or wont make.

Reactions: Jets 31

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If Montreal wants nothing but cap space to sign a big name player like Dadonov, for instance, could we get Max Domi for as low as a 2nd this year, and maybe a later pick in 2021?

I'd be happy with a forward group of

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Domi-Laine
Copp-Lowry-Roslovic
Harkins-Shore-Appleton
Perreault

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If Montreal wants nothing but cap space to sign a big name player like Dadonov, for instance, could we get Max Domi for as low as a 2nd this year, and maybe a later pick in 2021?

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Domi-Laine
Copp-Lowry-Roslovic
Harkins-Shore-Appleton
Perreault

That 2nd line would be bad defensively and have a heck of time getting out of their own zone.

And no chance of getting Domi for a 2nd Rd pick, too many teams need a 2c......other teams easily beat that offer

Reactions: Nedarb

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Domi-Laine
Copp-Lowry-Roslovic
Harkins-Shore-Appleton
Perreault
One of my biggest HF Boards pet pieves is when someone posts an unrealistic trade where their team fleeces the other, then they show off their new and improved lineup.

Edit: Sorry to single you out voyageur, we all do it.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
That 2nd line would be bad defensively and have a heck of time getting out of their own zone.

And no chance of getting Domi for a 2nd Rd pick, too many teams need a 2c......other teams easily beat that offer

That 2nd line would get probably 60% ozone starts. As Maurice would have 3 others that are better to start in the d-zone. So the question is could they score more than the get scored against. If Eakin was a success on the 2nd line, granted he is a better defensive player, how well could Domi do, given he is an excellent passer?

And for value, jeez there are alot of good players out there that could be available. I can't think of a single team that would spend a first on Domi, can you or Lanky or anyone else? Our 2nd is a top 40 pick. His last trade was for Galchenyuk that was tailing off, then Galchenyuk was traded as a throw in on the Zucker trade (1st and Addison being the main return). His attitude is probably a concern for alot of teams. We could use some more attitude.

As for a contract, I'd try to get him in at 3 years-$5.5 million AAV.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
That 2nd line would get probably 60% ozone starts. As Maurice would have 3 others that are better to start in the d-zone. So the question is could they score more than the get scored against. If Eakin was a success on the 2nd line, granted he is a better defensive player, how well could Domi do, given he is an excellent passer?

And for value, jeez there are alot of good players out there that could be available. I can't think of a single team that would spend a first on Domi, can you or Lanky or anyone else? Our 2nd is a top 40 pick. His last trade was for Galchenyuk that was tailing off, then Galchenyuk was traded as a throw in on the Zucker trade (1st and Addison being the main return). His attitude is probably a concern for alot of teams. We could use some more attitude.

I don't think you can get a player like that for a 2nd unless the other team has some serious cap issues, which they don't. I think a lot of teams in the 18-31 range would be interested if that pick was all that was required

Reactions: voyageur

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I don't think you can get a player like that for a 2nd unless the other team has some serious cap issues, which they don't. I think a lot of teams in the 18-31 range would be interested if that pick was all that was required

It's not the Cap issues, it's the Cap space. I can see Montreal being in on one of the big time scorers off the Florida roster, whether it be Dadonov or Hoffman. Canadiens need a finisher, which Domi is not. So which teams do you think would be in on Domi? I can see the Rangers, but that would be at the cost of Strome not coming back. Florida maybe, but our 2nd is higher than theirs. No way they give up #12 for him, that would be foolish. Who else? San Jose? They have their own Cap issues. L.A? They have a ton of young centres, and Domi would not be the finisher needed to play with Kopitar. Minnesota? I don't see them even having interest, I don't know how he would fit their team, of Swedes and Americans. Coilers? Don't have the Cap space. Still need a goalie.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
It's not the Cap issues, it's the Cap space. I can see Montreal being in on one of the big time scorers off the Florida roster, whether it be Dadonov or Hoffman. Canadiens need a finisher, which Domi is not. So which teams do you think would be in on Domi? I can see the Rangers, but that would be at the cost of Strome not coming back. Florida maybe, but our 2nd is higher than theirs. No way they give up #12 for him, that would be foolish. Who else? San Jose? They have their own Cap issues. L.A? They have a ton of young centres, and Domi would not be the finisher needed to play with Kopitar. Minnesota? I don't see them even having interest, I don't know how he would fit their team, of Swedes and Americans. Coilers? Don't have the Cap space. Still need a goalie.
I just hope we’re not in on Domi.
Waste of cap on a player we don’t need.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
why not go for Barzal? Why do we have to be the only ones taking less on our young superstar?

Laine + Perreault

Barzal + Boychuck

Reactions: mazmin

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

Yes they would need to be sheltered big time.

Domi contract is a hard one to predict, he needs a deal this offseason, he’s two years away from UFA and he has arb rights, he just hired one of the worse agents out there to go to war for him.....basically overpay him now or he will fill for arb rights and walk to UFA for free is the under lined threat. Some estimates for Domi have been as high as 7-8 million with term. But hard to say.

But even if you look at him as purely a two year rental he’s worth 1st++.

Pongs21

Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Why does NYI accommodate our needs and trade their only good centre for a non play driving winger?
If they are having a hard time re-singing him, Lou is a hard ass in negotiating. While unlikely, it's not completely unfeasible. I'd rather swing for the fences than accept loose change like some of the offers I've seen here.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Yes they would need to be sheltered big time.

Domi contract is a hard one to predict, he needs a deal this offseason, he’s two years away from UFA and he has arb rights, he just hired one of the worse agents out there to go to war for him.....basically overpay him now or he will fill for arb rights and walk to UFA for free is the under lined threat. Some estimates for Domi have been as high as 7-8 million with term. But hard to say.

But even if you look at him as purely a two year rental he’s worth 1st++.

I'd disagree on that value. I can't see anyone paying him $7 million. Or giving up a 1st. That's such a high risk move. I mean he was demoted to the 4th line on a bad team. Usually that catches GM's attention. That's how he got traded for Galchenyuk, who fell into the same boat, in the first place, after Domi had a dismal year in AZ. Maybe Mc Cabe, because he played with his dad, and Florida needs a 2c, and well every position on the 2nd line. If they want to go that route, fine. I don't think Chevy has a $7 million centre as his main target to fill the 2nd line role. If anything, I'd point to Scheifele and Ehlers and say are you better than them, in terms of internal structure.

But I guess we'll see where the chips fall.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
If they are having a hard time re-singing him, Lou is a hard ass in negotiating. While unlikely, it's not completely unfeasible. I'd rather swing for the fences than accept loose change like some of the offers I've seen here.

Even if they had a hard time signing him, they would want a centre back not a winger who doesn’t drive play. You would have better luck OS him if that was the case, but we both know that won’t happen.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I'd disagree on that value. I can't see anyone paying him $7 million. Or giving up a 1st. That's such a high risk move. I mean he was demoted to the 4th line on a bad team. Usually that catches GM's attention. That's how he got traded for Galchenyuk, who fell into the same boat, in the first place, after Domi had a dismal year in AZ. Maybe Mc Cabe, because he played with his dad, and Florida needs a 2c, and well every position on the 2nd line. If they want to go that route, fine. I don't think Chevy has a $7 million centre as his main target to fill the 2nd line role. If anything, I'd point to Scheifele and Ehlers and say are you better than them, in terms of internal structure.

But I guess we'll see where the chips fall.

I would recommend you reading the Domi mega thread on the main boards. There would be no shortage of teams trying to get Domi.......a 2nd rd pick isn’t even close to his value.

Pongs21

Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Even if they had a hard time signing him, they would want a centre back not a winger who doesn’t drive play. You would have better luck OS him if that was the case, but we both know that won’t happen.
I would have a hard time believing that GM's only see Laine as just a winger who doesn't drive play - we may not agree on his value, but I believe you are highly under valuing him.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I would have a hard time believing that GM's only see Laine as just a winger who doesn't drive play - we may not agree on his value, but I believe you are highly under valuing him.

Does he drive play?? No

Obviously he’s a goal scorer, I never stated otherwise. But he is highly dependent on line mates to generate that offence. This isn’t new news.

We’re not comparing Laine value to Barzal value here.....you said trade one for the other which NYI never would do.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I would recommend you reading the Domi mega thread on the main boards. There would be no shortage of teams trying to get Domi.......a 2nd rd pick isn’t even close to his value.

I have a hard time with mega threads. Leafs fans, Habs fans, Flyers fans, they drive me nuts. I just go off numbers and need, not fan desires. I posted the teams I think he could go to. Florida is the only team that I think could pay him those kind of numbers. The flat cap is going to change things. You have to be savvy as a GM.

I still don't think he goes for a 1st, from anyone, at least not this year's 1st. 1st round picks are assets. Only teams like Pittsburgh give them up like candy.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I have a hard time with mega threads. Leafs fans, Habs fans, Flyers fans, they drive me nuts. I just go off numbers and need, not fan desires. I posted the teams I think he could go to. Florida is the only team that I think could pay him those kind of numbers. The flat cap is going to change things. You have to be savvy as a GM.

Mega thread isn’t just fans comments, also insider information on teams showing interest etc. Give you an example Leafs traded Kap for the 15th OA and decent prospect......and Domi holds slightly more value then him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad