Rumour, Trade, FA 2020-2021 COVID edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agreed

I see a lot of grand ideas here, but I suspect what the Jets actually do is going to be far less due to lost revenues (covid). I’m preparing myself for it already.

Agreed though I think we can still see a blockbuster depending on the actual salary coming in. Sme potential RD that would make less then their cap hit that the org may pursue to fill the top pairing role:

Ekblad - only $2 million in actual salary (5.5 million less then his cap hit) Rumored available
Dumba - $4.8 million in salary ($1.2 million less then cap hit) - Rumored available
Parayko - $3.35 million in salary ($2.25 million less then cap hit) - May need to move him to bring back Pietroangelo

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Agreed

I see a lot of grand ideas here, but I suspect what the Jets actually do is going to be far less due to lost revenues (covid). I’m preparing myself for it already.

Chevy said the team will be competitive. I can't see how all these teams get under $70 million, where does the money go? I mean Pietrangelo, Krug, Hall those guys are going to get paid. Khudobin, Lehner, Markstrom, Holtby. RFAs like Barzal, Dubois, Cirelli, Sergachev, De Angelo, Mantha.

Those players alone will drive up salaries. And then some salaries will have to fall out to teams at the floor. But they have players to sign too.

You can count on Ottawa and Arizona scraping the floor. Detroit will be closer than most years.

But most teams are looking at having to sign about 7-10 players this offseason, and are already in the $64 million range. So maybe 5 teams will be able to get under $75 million this season. LTIR might eat up some of that existing space, but the system is fluid, you can't just take money out of it, you can only reduce the amount going in.

I expect the Jets to be under the Cap with Little's salary included, how much under, my guess is probably $2-$3 million. So there's room for investment. Probably 2 UFAs and 1 player acquired through trade. Main thing for the Jets is to find a way to get some draft picks back in to the system, when it may have cost Chevy 2 more middle round picks last year just to get near the playoffs, without keeping those players.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Ya, I agree with you.
We could draft Rossi, Quinn and Zary with the picks.

I'm just not sure they are ready to be major contributors by the time Scheif is gone. Which is my main focus right now. I know it's an unpopular opinion but all moves should be about the Scheif, Ehlers, Connor, Laine, Morrissey, Pionk, Hellebuyck core and making this core a contender because if we don't then we have wasted 2 cores.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
if it’s a platoon of these players, we’re not making it out of the first round.

enough of this stop gap BS. We need a legit 2C.

Fix the D first before the 2C.
Are you expecting a good playoff run this next season? Who is the 2C that other team willing to give up . Only keep seeing the Domi guy. And we want Laine to trade for him. We need to upgrade not down.....

If the 2C comes also great.
Also you don't want to gice Harkins a chance, though at slow pace.
like what i said, there is not a good proposal for the Jets for 2C as of now.
It might change after the draft

Only maybe the Strome from New York. Looks ok now.

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Agreed though I think we can still see a blockbuster depending on the actual salary coming in. Sme potential RD that would make less then their cap hit that the org may pursue to fill the top pairing role:

Ekblad - only $2 million in actual salary (5.5 million less then his cap hit) Rumored available
Dumba - $4.8 million in salary ($1.2 million less then cap hit) - Rumored available
Parayko - $3.35 million in salary ($2.25 million less then cap hit) - May need to move him to bring back Pietroangelo

I'm curious when do the signing bonuses like the ones included in Ekblad and OEL's salary structure get paid out? That's probably a factor for some players being moved.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Even if they have Hughes?

We're talking about adding a 2C even though the Jets have Scheifele, so yeah, I doubt they want to move either young player.

I thought Hughes played C but it seems he's a winger? Even less reason to move Hischer.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
We're talking about adding a 2C even though the Jets have Scheifele, so yeah, I doubt they want to move either young player.

I thought Hughes played C but it seems he's a winger? Even less reason to move Hischer.

Yeah seems they eased in him with a bit of time at both.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
If Laine is to sign for 8.75M - 9.25M for 7 to 8 Years.
Will you still move him? For a 2C or not anymore.

I would like know the reason why some are really vent on trading him.

I think the only reasonable reason to trade him is if Jets are sure 100% he is walking when UFA comes.

I believe with any competent management group. You do your best to sign that level of talent first.
He is the best winger the Jets have and the youngest also. Most goals. Highest ceiling, and 30 goals as the floor.

FB_IMG_1600642936778.jpg

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Most teams do everything they possibly can to add depth at center. The Devils have it. Unlikely they give it up.

I would say Laine's offensive ceiling is higher than Hischier's. Also, with all the draft picks NJ has drafting another centre is very likely. They might be convinced.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I think the only reasonable reason to trade him is if Jets are sure 100% he is walking when UFA comes.

I believe with any competent management group. You do your best to sign that level of talent first.
He is the best winger the Jets have and the youngest also. Most goals. Highest ceiling, and 30 goals as the floor.

View attachment 368555

I'd sign him for 9m.

I dont want to move him, but there are some valid reasons:
-The team has quite a few top 6 wingers and Laine would be the best chance at filling those huge holes at C and D.
-You might not feel as though his production warrants the highest contract value on the team.

You have to weigh the benefit of keeping him over what he might return in a trade. Could the Jets be a better team by trading him? Unlikely, but it's not impossible.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I would say Laine's offensive ceiling is higher than Hischier's. Also, with all the draft picks NJ has drafting another centre is very likely. They might be convinced.

His offensive ceiling may be higher in terms of goals but having good center depth is about more than scoring goals. Picks are just futures at this point. Hischier is a clear top 6 center at the NHL level. Even Hughes isn't a guarantee to be a C. From a Devils perspective you continue to build around those two players. It makes zero sense to move one of them for anything short of another better center at this point. They'd be idiots if they deviated from that plan.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

View attachment 368555

He has the most value plain and simple. He will net the best return and we still have another winger who is a lock for 30+ a season and a play driving winger in Ehlers who is the very last winger we should ever move. Laine can get us the pieces we need straight up. The other two cannot.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I'd sign him for 9m.

I dont want to move him, but there are some valid reasons:
-The team has quite a few top 6 wingers and Laine would be the best chance at filling those huge holes at C and D.
-You might not feel as though his production warrants the highest contract value on the team.

You have to weigh the benefit of keeping him over what he might return in a trade. Could the Jets be a better team by trading him? Unlikely, but it's not impossible.

Ok thanks

Yup its not impossible.
But if he is sign long term.
Then the situation change
As all 4 wingers are now signed to longer terms.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Ok thanks

Yup its not impossible.
But if he is sign long term.
Then the situation change
As all 4 wingers are now signed to longer terms.

If he signs long term then great. You'll have to hope you fill those other holes internally, and quickly.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
He has the most value plain and simple. He will net the best return and we still have another winger who is a lock for 30+ a season and a play driving winger in Ehlers who is the very last winger we should ever move. Laine can get us the pieces we need straight up. The other two cannot.

Ok got your point.

But if he is signed long term?

Just for discussion then the other wingers should be in play right for a trade?
Can be a plus either way if other wingers are in play ?

Or it has to be Laine only?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Ok got your point.

Laine gets the best deal without having to give up anything else. The point is to make the team better. When you have holes you fill them. You can hope to fill them through FA signings, which will always be a challenge in Winnipeg. Or you can hope to fill them through the draft. We have drafted better then most NHL teams over the course of our new existence. I have faith in our drafting and developing but just playing the laws of averages that luck WILL run out soon. It's not a question of if, it's a question of when. So we have a myriad of core players signed between 4 and 6 years (Scheifele, Connor, Ehlers, Wheeler, Morrissey and Pionk). After that things get very murky as to whether we can contend at all or even in the short term. We have the certainty that those players will be Winnipeg Jets for that very specific amount of time. Now we can dily daly and wish and pray and hope. But wishing, praying and hoping gets you no where. Whats gets you somewhere is action. This team in it's current state is not a contender. In order to be a contender we either have to sign good player and depth players, draft good players or depth players or like I didn't mention above, trade for good players or depth players. Sometimes you just have to look a gift horse in the mouth and say; "screw you, you stupid little horse, I want more."

Reactions: JetsUK

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Laine gets the best deal without having to give up anything else. The point is to make the team better. When you have holes you fill them. You can hope to fill them through FA signings, which will always be a challenge in Winnipeg. Or you can hope to fill them through the draft. We have drafted better then most NHL teams over the course of our new existence. I have faith in our drafting and developing but just playing the laws of averages that luck WILL run out soon. It's not a question of if, it's a question of when. So we have a myriad of core players signed between 4 and 6 years (Scheifele, Connor, Ehlers, Wheeler, Morrissey and Pionk). After that things get very murky as to whether we can contend at all or even in the short term. We have the certainty that those players will be Winnipeg Jets for that very specific amount of time. Now we can dily daly and wish and pray and hope. But wishing, praying and hoping gets you no where. Whats gets you somewhere is action. This team in it's current state is not a contender. In order to be a contender we either have to sign good player and depth players, draft good players or depth players or like I didn't mention above, trade for good players or depth players. Sometimes you just have to look a gift horse in the mouth and say; "screw you, you stupid little horse, I want more."

We still trade Laine signed at around 9M for 7 to 8 years?

That how my question started with TBCwpg.

Ok got it.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
We still trade Laine signed at around 9M for 7 to 8 years?

That how my question started with TBCwpg.

Ok got it.

I think signing him to that contract actually increases his trade value. I'm not a fan of moving him but I understand the reasons. It's not just his anticipated contract demands.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Ok got your point.

That's hypothetical. Now say Laine doesn't want to sign long term after this season and files for arbitration. Well that's the exact same situation as Trouba 2 years ago. We can squeeze one more year, but each year closer to free agency lessens his value in terms of trade value. So the inevitable is a trade because you don't let a player of his calibre leave for nothing. It's not a clear path. I don't see a pressing need to trade him this year, he could have a breakout year. But if an offer came that Chevy felt improved the team as a whole this year and for years coming, what do you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad