Rumour, Trade, FA 2020-2021 COVID edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Based on what I have read on the main boards, speculation about Ekblad is to shed salary. Which probably means future rich package.

I don't know if we have the assets in that case?

I'm guessing pretty similar to any future rich package we'd want for Laine. So unlikely that we would be willing to part with those assets.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I think if that is what Laine wanted he would be signed to that already

I believe Laine's dilemma is the usage.
He wanted to score goals. Coming in the league he had that set in mind.

The money plays a part. But its being use as the main driver. I believe in money they are close enough. It just was harder to fit it in 2 years ago specially with all that movement internally and UFA how its going to shape up.
Now that its pretty much set except for Little.

i believe both side will agree if usage is similar or more from last year with Laine.
It will be closer to Rantanen's money. Than some being posted in 10-11M range.
Hopefully another year will sort out the turbulance that went on with this team last off season. Another year to patch things up.
As much as we would like to get paid, we also want to work where we will be happy and use the best for our abilities to shine the brightest.
Some people have the stated he will bolt out once he is UFA. There is that possibility already. For me, to try their best to make things right. All side looks to have fault in that mess.
And it seems they were trying their best last year. We shall see in this finaL year contract of Laine.

Agree. I think the Jets would sign him for $9-9.5M on a 7-8 year deal without much question. The problem is if he's looking at getting close to a Marner deal (almost $11M AAV on a 6-year deal, with massive signing bonuses).

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
"But take your Domi/Danault, Mete/Kulak and a first suggestions and save them for some outdated message board. A deal like this doesn’t get done without one or two of Montreal’s top prospects — and a premium player or two — going the other way.

Let’s be real: a deal like this doesn’t get done, so this is probably the last time we’ll be discussing it in this space."

Five power forwards the Canadiens would love to acquire through trade - Sportsnet.ca

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Reading all the input and proposal

I think Blake at 2C is the best option the next 2 years. Hopefully the Jets can draft a C with that top 10 pick.

Concentrate on fixing the D by signing Demelo, bringing in a solid UFA and inserting Samberg this year and Heinola recalled after the trade deadline or next year.

Schiefele
Wheeler
Copp
Lowry

Are formidable C group
That is actually a hand full with the size.
Copp (pushed down) and Lowry anchoring the 2 last 2 C are very good defensively for the Jets.

I think that is the best option for now.
This team.went through a lot last year. Another core move will not be good internally for this team.

Reactions: hn777

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Reading all the input and proposal

I think Blake at 2C is the best option the next 2 years. Hopefully the Jets can draft a C with that top 10 pick.

Concentrate on fixing the D by signing Demelo, bringing in a solid UFA and inserting Samberg this year and Heinola recalled after the trade deadline or next year.

Schiefele
Wheeler
Copp
Lowry

Are formidable C group
That is actually a hand full with the size.
Copp (pushed down) and Lowry anchoring the 2 last 2 C are very good defensively for the Jets.

I think that is the best option for now.
This team.went through a lot last year. Another core move will not be good internally for this team.

Only trouble with that is Maurice is going to Maurice.

I don't think Wheeler will be removed from the first line easily. I expect Copp, Harkins, and Roslovic a lot first, assuming Chevy doesn't acquire a C this off-season.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm guessing pretty similar to any future rich package we'd want for Laine. So unlikely that we would be willing to part with those assets.

They only have Barkov inked for another two years. I have a hard time seeing a full on future package.

Maybe Pionk, Roslovic, 2021 first and one of Chisholm/Ves.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Only trouble with that is Maurice is going to Maurice.

I don't think Wheeler will be removed from the first line easily. I expect Copp, Harkins, and Roslovic a lot first, assuming Chevy doesn't acquire a C this off-season.

I understand
Im just being optimistic now.

I just dont want anymore our teambeing gutted that we watched being built the last 9 years.
Some to the teams inadequate to move faster, some to surprise and others.

If Harkins or Roslo slot in one of the 2nd line.
They can platoon the 2C with Wheels.

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Based on what I have read on the main boards, speculation about Ekblad is to shed salary. Which probably means future rich package.

You can't sign Bobrovsky to a $10 million deal one year, and then trade your best defenseman the next to save salary. That's ludicrous. It would have to be a trade for Laine, and then they sign a defenseman on the market. Only way it works for either team. Some sources have said that Viola has instructed management they want results now, or things are going to change. Those things could be ownership, and who knows how long that franchise can survive, in suburban Miami, with no fans, and no arena revenues to offset no fans.

Laine called Barkov one of his idols, so maybe that's a place he'd like to play.

Jets can't ask for a better deal than getting a cost controlled top pairing defenseman for 5 more years, and the idea of having that top pairing for 5 years takes a lot of pressure off management.

A lot of other pieces can fall into place, starting at the draft.

It would be a shame to lose Laine, but Ekblad's a solid return, with longer term. That's hard to ignore. I think if this past season taught us anything it's that impact defensemen can't be easily replaced. Even with Vezina goaltending.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

10th+heinola/samberg. Might include Roslovic if they can't re sign Hoffman and Dadonov. Maybe they send a Centre prospect back

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Pandemic changes things. Fla probably bottom at the league in terms of revenue. Now getting even less.

Any team that owns and operates the arena it is playing in, as we do too, is really suffering revenue wise. Maybe there is less revenue sharing, but that is part of the CBA?

I guess it depends on other sources of non hockey revenue too, but what can a franchise generate, outside of broadcast rights right now? Merchandising is a league piggy bank.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
At first though a good amount of people around here weren't buying it until their was a raging fire. Reminded me of the dog in the burning house meme. "This is fine."

There are always those who will try to believe what they wish was true.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think this discussion has already been had but I wonder what RFA players Chevy would consider tough to let go unqualified?

Jets RFAs
Forwards:
Jack Roslovic
Mason Appleton
Jansen Harkins
Michael Spacek
CJ Suess

Defensemen:
Sami Niku
Nelson Nogier

Roslovic and Harkins are the only ones that I see as a lock to get qualified, tough decisions to me sounds like they could decide to let one ore more of Appleton, Suess, or Niku go unqualified.
The rest I imagine aren't really tough decisions from an asset standpoint, maybe from a personal attachment. I think a lot (all?) would probably be cheaper than signing outside players if they're all in the AHL. Niku, Roslovic, Harkins, and Appleton would all be making more than league minimum if they were on the Jets though.

No way they let Appleton go. Cheap QO for a roster player. If they let him go, they have to replace him. There is no saving.

Not sure about the AHL guys. Have we heard anything about an AHL season yet? The way players are being sent to Europe looks like no AHL. What happens if they QO an AHL player and there is no AHL season?

Reactions: hn777

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
But Connor isn’t available, and a Ehlers shouldn’t be.
the only reason to move Laine is if he prices himself out of Winnipeg or if it’s obvious he’s looking to bolt first chance he gets.
There is no reason to move Connor or Ehlers... they are on great contracts and bring a lot to our team.
We should be looking at moving Wheeler and giving his money to Laine,

How do you plan on moving Wheeler?

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
You don't pay your goalie $10 million. Who said Chef is getting $10 million? We're no longer over-paying players just because we under-paid them on old contracts.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Main Board has a rumour, allegedly from reputable source, that Ekblad may be available. Think this is something we can reasonably sink our teeth into? If so, what is the cost? Is this a Laine potential destination if he is on the block?

Depends, what is Fla trying to achieve? Probably cost cutting, which lets Laine out, unless we can work a lot more cap into a package.

So, what would Fla want in exchange?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Florida probably cutting costs. A guy like ehlers might be what they want for him since hes due 4.5m. They're gonna lose Hoffman and dadonov via UFA likely, unless they come back cheap. Need to replenish their top 6 wingers

Maybe, but is the cost cutting limited to this year, or is it longer term? Ehlers gets 4.75 this year, 6.5 next year.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Depends, what is Fla trying to achieve? Probably cost cutting, which lets Laine out, unless we can work a lot more cap into a package.

So, what would Fla want in exchange?

Lets look at Florida, if they move Ekblad they have Stralman, Pysk and Brown on RD so they will almost assuredly want a cheaper RD back. They also look like they will be loosing a lot of wing talent to UFA this year in Hoffman, Dadanov and Haula, so they likey want a cheap winger that can play middle 6 back. So the basis of my package would be Pionk and Roslovic. Both fill areas of need for the Panthers and wont break the bank.

Pionk makes only $3.15 million
Roslovic likely only gets 2 to $2.5 million

So Florida sheds $2 to 2.5 million in cap space but gets two roster spots filled.

As for future's I would be willing to give up a 2021 first and any prospect not named Heinola/Samberg.

I would also be willing to eat Connelly's contract if Florida wants to shed more salary ($3.5 million AAV for another 3 years)

Ehlers Scheifele Laine
Conner Copp Wheeler
Harkins Lowry Connelly
Perrault Gus/Shore Appelton

Morrissey Ekblad
Samberg DeMelo
Meril Poolman/Heinola

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I wouldn't do that. I don't think Ekblad tilts the ice as much as Ehlers does. And he costs more. I'd love to get Ekblad, just not that way.

Jets are also going to be feeling a cash crunch, I peg the chances of them moving an impact forward making not so much cash during a pandemic season as slim to none.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad