Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
would anyone do Schmaltz+Jokiharju+1st for Trouba....only caveat is that it's inter-division

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
would anyone do Schmaltz+Jokiharju+1st for Trouba....only caveat is that it's inter-division

A right side of Byfuglien-Myers-Poolman sounds like a huge step back. On the plus side, that first round pick could be an impact player as soon as 2023, when Byfuglien will be 38 years old!

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
A right side of Byfuglien-Myers-Poolman sounds like a huge step back. On the plus side, that first round pick could be an impact player as soon as 2023, when Byfuglien will be 38 years old!
C depth would be Scheifele-Schmaltz (22YO, put up 50+ pts in his 2nd/21 YO season)-Little-Lowry

Jokiharju is a promising RHD prospect, would make an impact sooner than 2023.

Obviously this is all if Trouba doesn't sign long-term. just spitballing packages here

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I could be wrong, but I seem to recall someone (Chipman?) saying that the Jets could afford to be a cap team for short periods when they felt they were positioned for a cup run and needed to add some assets, but that level of spending was not sustainable here. We are a small market with a very small arena. My feeling is they will do every thing they can to get the cup this year, but if they fall short, like well short... I think they have to move on from their older players. Signing Wheeler to an extension now would be a horrible mistake IMO. And this is assuming we have a happy, productive Trouba locked up long term. If it becomes clear that Trouba still wants out, I'm all for blowing it up right now, get some younger players in to complement our current young stars and hope that they can provide a winning core in a couple of years. And more picks. Outside of KV and Samberg, I'm not seeing a lot there to be excited about.

But as I said at the start, I could be wrong. :laugh:
It's true that the arena is small, but it's sold out and there aren't many "cheap seats". I'd guess the Jets are around middle of the pack in terms of regular season revenues. Their long playoff run earned them about $20M as well. They can afford to spend to the cap - especially if they can make the playoffs.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I could be wrong, but I seem to recall someone (Chipman?) saying that the Jets could afford to be a cap team for short periods when they felt they were positioned for a cup run and needed to add some assets, but that level of spending was not sustainable here. We are a small market with a very small arena. My feeling is they will do every thing they can to get the cup this year, but if they fall short, like well short... I think they have to move on from their older players. Signing Wheeler to an extension now would be a horrible mistake IMO. And this is assuming we have a happy, productive Trouba locked up long term. If it becomes clear that Trouba still wants out, I'm all for blowing it up right now, get some younger players in to complement our current young stars and hope that they can provide a winning core in a couple of years. And more picks. Outside of KV and Samberg, I'm not seeing a lot there to be excited about.

But as I said at the start, I could be wrong. :laugh:

If they can't afford to be a cap team, they need to sell the team.

A happy, productive Trouba is of no value if they aren't competing and they aren't competing if they can't spend to the cap. Why pay Trouba big $$$ if they aren't trying to compete? Trade him too. Become like the old Expos, a farm team for the rest of the league. Trade everybody for futures. Why pay big salaries to Scheifele and Ehlers?

If signing Wheeler now would be a mistake then they need to trade him now. But that doesn't depend on finances. It depends on whether they can compete better with him or without him and that is about his effect on the cap.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Its not unreasonable. Both Schmaltz and Jokiharju are on the small side but they are skill players who seem to be effective. That 1st could be fairly high.

It is a step back at RD but a step forward at C. If Trouba can't be signed for fair value this would be worth considering. Would Trouba and Chicago be able to reach agreement?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Chicago doesn't have the cap space to afford Trouba.

Yikes!
Just looked at their situation. Their cap is mostly all spent and they need 4 more players. They will LTIR Hossa but then they need 5 more. At that point they have 9.2 in space, counting the LTIR - and need to add 5 players. They might want to move some bad contracts but that won't be easy. Seabrook, for example is still on the books for 6 years at 6.875. Who would take that on?

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Any interest in Dan Hamhuis on a cheap 1 year deal? I haven't paid much attention to his play directly but he had 24 points last year.

Morrissey - Trouba
Morrow/Chiarot - Byfuglien
Morrow/Chiarot - Myers

Kulikov injury status?
Niku to NHL/AHL?
Poolman?

Reactions: JetsFan815

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'd love to see Trouba retire as a Jet.
If he HAS to be traded, here are some deals I would make.

Larkin, Zadina and next year's 2nd.
Stone and next year's 1st.
Girardi and Point.
Provorov for Trouba and Tanev or Copp.
Manson and a 1st and 2nd for Trouba and Myers.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Girardi and Point.

The value of those deals is all over the map.

Reactions: Snowman

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Girardi and Point.
don't think DET and OTT or any rebuilding team will take on Trouba. His situation is starting to get similar to EK's in a way. If he isn't coming with an extension then it'll be tough to pony up the premier prospects/picks for him, especially from a rebuilding team. He has his eyes set on a destination where he wants to go.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Girardi and Point.

Detroit would never make that first trade. Ottawa doesn't have a first next year so that's out. Girardi and Point is a small return. Philly has no reason to trade Provorov for Trouba. Manson and a bunch of picks doesn't seem right either, plus that trade makes the team worse this season.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Once the RFA situation is figured out the Jets should sign Paul Postma for d-depth on the big club. He can also clear waivers easily and help out the Moose and if Chiarot can be moved they bring Postma up and save some capspace.

Eric O'Dell tore up the KHL last season. He would be good C depth to have for injuries. We should easily be able to sign him close to league minimum on a 1-way contract that we can stuff in the Moose. The guy never got a fair shot in the NHL inspite of putting great numbers in the minors and now in the KHL. He is worth another shot. Worst comes to worst he can be a veteran presence on the Moose.

Reactions: trebendan

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Girardi and Point.

No way Detroit does that
The Ottawa package is fine, but we don't really need another RW
Tampa might decline the next one, but it's close - might work
I'd do the Philly one which makes me think they won't
We decline the last one

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Girardi and Point.

I don't think Point alone is enough for Trouba. But when you tack on the big negative value of Girardi it certainly makes no sense.

The Anaheim trade decimates the Jets D depth leaving us with just 2 legitimate top 4 defenders.

Philly is not giving up cost controlled Provorov for Trouba.

Detroit laughs at the first one. That'd be a great return for Trouba if we could get it.

Ottawa one is only one I'm not sure about, but I don't see Ottawa trading another first right now (they already don't have their 2019 first, so it'd have to be the 2020 first).

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I don't think Point alone is enough for Trouba. But when you tack on the big negative value of Girardi it certainly makes no sense.

The Anaheim trade decimates the Jets D depth leaving us with just 2 legitimate top 4 defenders.

Philly is not giving up cost controlled Provorov for Trouba.

Detroit laughs at the first one. That'd be a great return for Trouba if we could get it.

Ottawa one is only one I'm not sure about, but I don't see Ottawa trading another first right now (they already don't have their 2019 first, so it'd have to be the 2020 first).
Would love to hear which one of Buff, Manson and JoMo you don't consider to be a top 4 guy. That's going to be a fun one to explain.

Reactions: larmex99

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Would love to hear which one of Buff, Manson and JoMo you don't consider to be a top 4 guy. That's going to be a fun one to explain.

Don't think much of Manson. Never have. Not top 4 was probably a little harsh, but he is pretty overrated, IMO. He is more of a 4-5, IMO.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Don't think much of Manson. Never have. Not top 4 was probably a little harsh, but he is pretty overrated, IMO. He is more of a 4-5, IMO.
That's just plain wrong, I think.

Manson led all defensemen in ES points per 60 last year. He had a positive RelCorsi and xGF% as the shutdown guy on the Ducks. Heck, he even managed a +30 goal differential over the season. He plays against tough competition, is huge and physical... what is missing?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Manson kind of reminds me of Trouba. Manson plays a bit more with an edge though. I don't think ANH makes that deal. Manson's contract is a steal to what Trouba (and Myers) will likely make

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
That's just plain wrong, I think.

Manson led all defensemen in ES points per 60 last year. He had a positive RelCorsi and xGF% as the shutdown guy on the Ducks. Heck, he even managed a +30 goal differential over the season. He plays against tough competition, is huge and physical... what is missing?

I did a little research after posting and yeah his underlying stats looks pretty good.

I've never been a fan of his decision making and puck movement, but I didn't watch very much Ducks last year at all. He always struck me as a slightly better Chiarot, but the stats seem to indicate that's not at all the case.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I did a little research after posting and yeah his underlying stats looks pretty good.

I've never been a fan of his decision making and puck movement, but I didn't watch very much Ducks last year at all. He always struck me as a slightly better Chiarot, but the stats seem to indicate that's not at all the case.
The spike in offense he had this past year might be an outlier (and it very well could be, seeing as his point production hasn't been nearly as good in the years past), but even still, he has a lot of elements to his game that would make him a top 4 guy.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Once the RFA situation is figured out the Jets should sign Paul Postma for d-depth on the big club. He can also clear waivers easily and help out the Moose and if Chiarot can be moved they bring Postma up and save some capspace.
I generally like what you're suggesting. I think to clear a little bit of cap space and retain defensive depth, perhaps the Jets can send Chiarot to the Ducks for Holzer, who could easily be sent down.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Why do people think that Chiarot would be an attractive asset for anyone, if the sole reason for us trading a 1.4 AAV player is getting cap space?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Why do people think that Chiarot would be an attractive asset for anyone, if the sole reason for us trading a 1.4 AAV player is getting cap space?
Big defensive defenseman who can throw some hits and grind it out on the 3rd pair? I'm sure there are some GMs who would take him if Chevy shopped him around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad