Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Not sure if someone has already brought this up.. but I really wish the Jets went for Kari Lehtonen as their secondary for 2 - 3 years.. What do you guys think?

He is much better than Mason and given his situation he could be available for around 2,5 mil.. Could we afford him?

Lehtonen is much worse than Mason and not worth a dollar more than the minimum, imo.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Not sure if someone has already brought this up.. but I really wish the Jets went for Kari Lehtonen as their secondary for 2 - 3 years.. What do you guys think?

He is much better than Mason and given his situation he could be available for around 2,5 mil.. Could we afford him?

Comrie has to go through waivers next season. It's the main reason why they went 2 years with Mason, so the contract would expire and potentially Comrie would be ready to take the backup job and run with it. (I'm not convinced he'll be ready at this point.)

Lehtonen had a decent year last season for him (.912) but prior to that he was .902, .906 and .903. He's a big name, but terrible. He isn't better than Mason, who was terrible last year at .906 (same as Lehtonen the previous 3 years). Prior to that he was .908, .918 and .928.

Lehtonen for 1 year at $2.5.... pass. 2-3 years of Lehtonen at $2.5..... Super hard pass.

They'll be decent goalies that will need to go through waivers when the season starts. We'll just grab one of them if Brossoit doesn't impress in training camp. I'm thinking specifically of Toronto, who will have to put 2 of Sparks, Pickard or McEhlinney and Florida who will have to put either Hutch, Reimer or Luongo through.

For me, I assume the Hutch bridge is burnt so I'd grab either McEhlinney (.934 last season for the Leafs) or Sparks (.936 for the Marlies). Preferably Sparks who although not proven in the NHL has put up very good numbers in the AHL and is coming off a championship season.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I don't see how we can get Stone. I would think Ottawa will want not want an older player like Wheeler, regardless of their quality.
Perhaps if we included a prospect like Stanley/Appleton/Vesalainen they might start listening, but that's a lot to give up.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Oh here we go. The irrational dream for a Manitoba kid to play on the team.

At least this time it’s actually a good player and not someone everyone is trying to pidgeonhole into the squad.

For me on this one its 99% hockey.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't see how we can get Stone. I would think Ottawa will want not want an older player like Wheeler, regardless of their quality.
Perhaps if we included a prospect like Stanley/Appleton/Vesalainen they might start listening, but that's a lot to give up.

You wait until he hits FA in a year. I wouldn't give up anything for him in a trade.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I expect Stone to hold out for a 1 year deal and go the UFA route next year. The bidding will be high.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Only way it works is if Stone is motivated to come back to Winnipeg to try to win a cup, and not seek a deal from the highest bidder.

Wheeler and Buff would be cap casualties, along with Perreault, but longer term our top 6/9 wingers would be amongst the best in the league, if not the best.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Comrie has to go through waivers next season. It's the main reason why they went 2 years with Mason, so the contract would expire and potentially Comrie would be ready to take the backup job and run with it. (I'm not convinced he'll be ready at this point.)

Lehtonen had a decent year last season for him (.912) but prior to that he was .902, .906 and .903. He's a big name, but terrible. He isn't better than Mason, who was terrible last year at .906 (same as Lehtonen the previous 3 years). Prior to that he was .908, .918 and .928.

Lehtonen for 1 year at $2.5.... pass. 2-3 years of Lehtonen at $2.5..... Super hard pass.

They'll be decent goalies that will need to go through waivers when the season starts. We'll just grab one of them if Brossoit doesn't impress in training camp. I'm thinking specifically of Toronto, who will have to put 2 of Sparks, Pickard or McEhlinney and Florida who will have to put either Hutch, Reimer or Luongo through.

For me, I assume the Hutch bridge is burnt so I'd grab either McEhlinney (.934 last season for the Leafs) or Sparks (.936 for the Marlies). Preferably Sparks who although not proven in the NHL has put up very good numbers in the AHL and is coming off a championship season.
At this rate Comrie makes it through waivers pretty easily though.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
For me on this one its 99% hockey.
I think that’s very very generous.

Let’s be honest RW is not at all what we need and there hasn’t been any indication that Stone wants to leave or Ottawa will trade him other than people sitting back and hoping he wants to run out his RFA status.

There’s lots of good wingers out there and we don’t really need any of them, but suddenly there’s a Manitoba guy out there with an absolute sliver of an opportunity to acquire him and now suddenly we’re all dying to trade away our captain who we were shouting at people to be considered for the Hart trophy.

If he wasn’t a local kid I don’t think there would be nearly as much support for that move. Bring up an equally good winger and it’s probably 50/50 at best of people being good with it and people not.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I expect Stone to hold out for a 1 year deal and go the UFA route next year. The bidding will be high.

@Sweech I tried to multi quote and include you here but chunked it. I wasn't born in Winnipeg and I don’t have the same chip in me that wants kids because they are from here....if Stone was born in Hamilton I would be posting the same thing. I am a big fan of Mark Stone the player.

It would be interesting to see if the AAV would be higher than what Wheeler will command? honestly from my lense of July 2018 I can’t see TNSE turning on their captain Since he is the poster child of how to live eat and breath being a Jet. What message would that send the team? The problem I have is loyalty to older players in the form of big contracts can kill you. I would buy 7 years of a 27 year old Stone before I would buy 5 - 7 years of a 33 year old Wheeler and this has nothing to due with where he was born.

When I said I would have trouble imagining it through the lense of July 2018 that was intentional because I might have less trouble with the concept through the lense of June 2019. We may be hoisting a cup,,,,we may miss the playoffs, everything can change in one season. We saw how things ended for Stu, Ladd, Toby, and Stats so our organization is not without some edge. If we do well again and Blake has another big season he will get a deal but it will need to fit inside our internal structure. I could envision a Ladd situation where they just can’t agree on a reasonable deal for a 33 year old and that has nothing to do with Mark Stone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eyeseeing

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Opposed to Toews?

No, Toews was a dream and a half(with some alcohol and other things mixed in there) as his team has been nothing but sicccesful and grateful towards him, in no way was he possible to gets ... So bantering about lower echelon names like Reaves, or Tootoo(as already stated). But honestly Stone has no need to stay where he is, Ottawa is the biggest train wreck of a team in pretty much all of hockey history(I’d imagine no one would want to play there for a while or until massive changes happen there). What bad could come out of 7m offer do(sure we lose a couple picks but it makes us better today and a consistent contender for the future).

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I was looking at the salary cap
and I believe they could fit everyone under this year
but I guess the issue is you want to sign a player like wheeler before he officially becomes Ufa?

I think the kulikov signing wasnt worth the cap space

it's too bad myers contract wasn't up this up coming season because he's not making more than his current contract. would free up some space if they were to resign him

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I was looking at the salary cap
and I believe they could fit everyone under this year
but I guess the issue is you want to sign a player like wheeler before he officially becomes Ufa?

I think the kulikov signing wasnt worth the cap space

it's too bad myers contract wasn't up this up coming season because he's not making more than his current contract. would free up some space if they were to resign him

Kucherov is definitely worth his contract.

Free up space to sign who?

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg

Any new contract for Wheeler will kick in for the 19-20 season, when Myers' current contract is expired.

Also, Kuli def isn't living up to his contract, which is a shame. That's what happens when you have to overpay UFA's. If he wasn't so injured I would be less upset with the signing.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Any new contract for Wheeler will kick in for the 19-20 season, when Myers' current contract is expired.

Also, Kuli def isn't living up to his contract, which is a shame. That's what happens when you have to overpay UFA's. If he wasn't so injured I would be less upset with the signing.
Kuli has been fine, we needed a player on the left side and he's done a good job. His contract was a year too long, but Chevy wanted him and needed him so we went high on term and money which I'm fine with, he will be moved at the end of this year to clear money and Niku takes over.

Reactions: Mathil8

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

don't they usually resign the year of? before their contract is even up?

if they can wait. then that should work fine

I'm being told jets are under salary cap issues. as if we might have to lose wheeler

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Kuli has been fine, we needed a player on the left side and he's done a good job. His contract was a year too long, but Chevy wanted him and needed him so we went high on term and money which I'm fine with, he will be moved at the end of this year to clear money and Niku takes over.

Kuli was fine, until he was injured. His contract was a year long and at least a mil too high, even for a UFA, maybe more. OK if he is able to come back and play like he was before he was hurt.

Kuli is only moveable after this year if he is reasonably healthy and if he plays reasonably well. Then he is still overpaid but if we retained a bit it could probably be done. If he is playing well, I'm OK with letting him play out his contract but if we can get anything for him, so much the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad