Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don’t mind Ben as a #7 or #8 when injuries hit but if he is in our line up day 1 that is a sign our D depth is not good.

He can’t defend guys entering the zone effectively enough. His gap control reminds me so much of Stu where he backs off 10 to 20 feet and concedes the entry uncontested way too often, the weird part is 90% of the fans don’t seem to notice or care????? He is just too easy to play against. Periodic physicality does not make you tough to play against, being able to defend well and move the puck makes you tough to play against.

Either way slotted properly I don’t mind Ben.

I agree with this - but I thought he had improved his D play this year. And a big difference between him and Stu is that he doesn't take himself out of the play with those hits at the blueline.

Reactions: GNP and ps241

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
Trouba signs.......Myers gets moved or Kulikov goes to LTIR. Buff can carry a second pairing. Charoit Poolman Niku and a surprise are plenty of defenders till the TD.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Trouba signs.......Myers gets moved or Kulikov goes to LTIR. Buff can carry a second pairing. Charoit Poolman Niku and a surprise are plenty of defenders till the TD.
Holden had a good explanation why Kuli shouldn't go on LTIR, his cap hit would carry to next year, when were even tighter against the cap. So that won't happen.

Reactions: surixon
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Holden had a good explanation why Kuli shouldn't go on LTIR, his cap hit would carry to next year, when were even tighter against the cap. So that won't happen.

Kuli would also have to be injured as opposed to Chevy saying his surgery was completed within days of the Jets last game with expected to be healed for training camp.

All this talk of LTIR is a tad over the top.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Kuli would also have to be injured as opposed to Chevy saying his surgery was completed within days of the Jets last game with expected to be healed for training camp.

All this talk of LTIR is a tad over the top.
Good to hear. I was asking somewhere if he'd be ready for camp and no one replied. I'm glad to hear he'll be healthy for start of camp.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Good to hear. I was asking somewhere if he'd be ready for camp and no one replied. I'm glad to hear he'll be healthy for start of camp.

Back injuries are funny. His preseason injury collision with the open bench door was "only a bruise" & was expected to miss minimal time.

It's 2 seasons later. Perhaps he's not ready for camp, but he should be close.

The main point is LTIR at this point is a huge leap in reasoning.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

I don't think that's quite what he said, is it? More a case of any salary due to a player on LTIR that exceeds the league cap will be allowed (or forgiven, in a manner of speaking) in the current year. That LTIR cap hit is not carried over to the next year. The problem is what LTIR would do to the Jets' ELC bonuses. Kulikov on LTIR would place the team at the absolute cap limit, meaning any ELC bonuses that have to be paid in this year cannot be rolled into this year's cap space, so they have to be counted against the cap the following year. In the case of the Jets if all bonuses max out, it would effectively lower their cap next year by more than $3 M, at a time when they're going to need all the cap space they can get.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Not his cap hit but any potential bonuses would carry over if they exceed the cap when Kulikov goes on LTIR. For that period.

Most calculations have Jets at least 3.7 below in order to prevent this. When below the cap LTIR does not add cap space (as in his cap hit doesn't disappear so they can't gain room for the bonuses that way).

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Jets have top 10 C depth pretty easily

Just for fun off the top of my head (who am I forgetting?)

In no particular order teams with better C depth: Pittsburgh, Washington, Toronto, Tampa Bay, Nashville (?)

Teams with similar C depth: Vegas, St. Louis, Anaheim (?), Boston, Dallas

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Just for fun off the top of my head (who am I forgetting?)

In no particular order teams with better C depth: Pittsburgh, Washington, Toronto, Tampa Bay, Nashville (?)

Teams with similar C depth: Vegas, St. Louis, Anaheim (?), Boston, Dallas

I'd take LA's Kopitar, Carter, Kempe/Vilardi, Amadio/Lewis/Thompson over WPG's Scheifele, Little, Lowry/Roslovic, Lowry/Copp but it can be argued to be close.

Reactions: bumblebeeman

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
^ Add Florida, Philly, and Edmonton as well. League-wide the Jets are near middle of the pack thanks to Scheifele.​

Last edited:

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
^ Add Florida, Philly, and Edmonton as well. League-wide the Jets are near middle of the pack thanks to Scheifele.​

I donèt know about Philly. Couturier - Patrick - Laughton is not in the same tier as the Jets. Maybe Patrick has a breakout year I guess. But ya Florida is stacked, and Edmonton has McDavid.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
^

Not much of a shot with our C depth this year.

The same C depth that had us as the second best team in the league last season. I do agree we will need to add at the TDL. But we are still good enough to make a run as is. But to solidify us as top contenders we need to add a 2C during the year somehow. Or at minimum a 3C who can be a 2A/2B type

Reactions: Snowman

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
^

Not much of a shot with our C depth this year.

You have a franchise C+ maybe the best W group in the league, you have a shot.

I want to see Roslovic being develop into C next season and at some point atleast see him as the #2C.

Scheifele
Roslovic
Little
Lowry
is damm awesome C group if Roslo keeps developing.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The same C depth that had us as the second best team in the league last season. I do agree we will need to add at the TDL. But we are still good enough to make a run as is. But to solidify us as top contenders we need to add a 2C during the year somehow. Or at minimum a 3C who can be a 2A/2B type

It was not C depth that got us to second overall. Think about it. If we were so deep at C, would Wheeler have had to move to that position?

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
It was not C depth that got us to second overall. Think about it. If we were so deep at C, would Wheeler have had to move to that position?

Obviously it was not just the C depth. But if you read the comment i was replying to you will see someone said we can not be real contenders with our current C depth. I then pointed out we had this C depth last season and it held up enough for us to be #2 in the season......

Despite some puck luck and us continuing to win, Wheeler was not good at centre and with a bigger sample size we would have started to hurt if that continued on. Meanwhile Little Ehlers and Perreault were fantastic and took a lot of tough matchups then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad