Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
In respect to Myers --posters here are coming in at a low of $ $ 3.5 mil to a high of $ 6.5 mil. I think his value lies somewhere in between at around $ 5- 5.5 mil over 5 or 6 years.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him get offered $ 6 mil + , and I wonder if he'd settle for a bit less money from the Jets. I think so, as he likes it here.

Do the Jets go all in on Myers, if Trouba is gone for sure ? I think "yes"

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Nylander is a softer, slower, and higher paid Ehlers. I think Nyl had the higher ceiling, but this year it would seem not .

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Nylander is a softer, slower, and higher paid Ehlers. I think Nyl had the higher ceiling, but this year it would seem not .
He'll be fine in a place where there's less hockey spotlight. Toronto's a pressure cooker. All of Canada, really, but especially Toronto.

Reactions: GNP

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He'll be fine in a place where there's less hockey spotlight. Toronto's a pressure cooker. All of Canada, really, but especially Toronto.

To soft on defence, to much of a permiter guy. Dermott is good offensively but not great defensively. Better than Gardiner but not great. We need some shot suppressors on this team.

Reactions: Snowman

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Isles would not put Dobson on the table for a soon to be ufa.
Isles refused to add him to the offer for an extended Stone. Lou balked at Fl's demand of Sorokin +1st for Hoffman later saying he has a plan in place and this season's unexpected success will not change that plan.
Trouba has zero ties to LI. Zero interest in the soon to be ufa.

Lehner says he wants to stay. Press says the hold up on Lee's extension is term. Lee wants 7/8 seasons and Lou wants less. I expect the isles to blink and give him what he wants.

Isles reportedly have interest in Panarin/Duchene/Skinner. If Lou strikes out on the ufa market, maybe some thing around Ehlers for Leddy?

Ehlers for Leddy? This is intended to be a joke right?

Reactions: Snowman and Huffer

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
By sending us a small cash dump. Who we'd be fine with after moving Perrault, kuli, Myers, chariot...

Small cash dump doesn't help a bit. Any Trouba to TBL trade has to include a fair amount of cap coming back. Maybe not as much as Trouba's next contract, but still significant.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Small cash dump doesn't help a bit. Any Trouba to TBL trade has to include a fair amount of cap coming back. Maybe not as much as Trouba's next contract, but still significant.

I think we could maybe inquire about Tyler Johnson and Sergachev. The Lightning don't have much cap room and they will want to sign Point. Plus Cirelli and Joseph will probably command some money soon as well. If they are looking at Ristolainen they will surely have interest in Trouba for the right price. We would probably have to take Callahan as well but just for one season. Not sure on the figures there though.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah it's going to be tough. But if we lose Myers, Perreault and Trouba by next season. We are not making the playoffs IMO. If we lose Tanev it's even more of a lost season. With the way Chiarot was talking I wouldn't be surprised if he tests FA as well.

You may be right. We may just lose too much depth + Trouba to be able to contend next year, or even make the PO. But if that is the case, overpaying Myers only makes it worse. We are that much less able to make a quick rebound. Too much, too long to a player as flawed as Myers is won't fix what is wrong with this team.

Here comes the :deadhorse :laugh:. Assets that have been thrown around lightly since we drafted Laine would make a big difference with what we are facing now. Either as potential players or as trade ammunition.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Brace yourself for the flood of Trouba to the Leafs threads on the main boards. Ugh

The thing is that Trouba is exactly what the Leafs need. They should have been shopping for a player like him instead of gilding the lily by adding Tavares.

But Trouba is still unlikely to sign long term in TO and that is the bottom line. They could afford to pay us a good return but aren't likely to unless he will agree to terms with them. Not to mention that they can't handle his cap hit.

The proposals from Laffs fans will be about half what he is worth. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think we could maybe inquire about Tyler Johnson and Sergachev. The Lightning don't have much cap room and they will want to sign Point. Plus Cirelli and Joseph will probably command some money soon as well. If they are looking at Ristolainen they will surely have interest in Trouba for the right price. We would probably have to take Callahan as well but just for one season. Not sure on the figures there though.

Yes. I think they need to make more moves than that to free up the cap space but we would need to take back something like that. It could also be Miller instead of Johnson.

JT is worth twice what Risto is.

For the right return, I think we could also take Callahan. It would be difficult for us but being only 1 year, I think we could do it. If that was the difference between getting a good return from them and not, I would find a way.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
From Tampa
Callahan
Sergachev
Johnson

From Winnipeg
Trouba - with a long term deal (Tampa tax friendly)
+ something else

This is the kind of situation we can take advantage of. Tampa wants a RHD and some cap relief to get Point signed. We free up about $20m for them (factoring in the space they'll have + the cap rising). While taking on around $11.6m. We would then have to shed Perreault, Kulikov and Myers to make it work. While adding Vesalainen, Roslovic, Niku and Appleton full time. And our backup would have to come cheap.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
From Tampa
Callahan
Sergachev
Johnson

From Winnipeg
+ something else

This is the kind of situation we can take advantage of. Tampa wants a RHD and some cap relief to get Point signed. We free up about $20m for them (factoring in the space they'll have + the cap rising). While taking on around $11.6m. We would then have to shed Perreault, Kulikov and Myers to make it work. While adding Vesalainen, Roslovic, Niku and Appleton full time. And our backup would have to come cheap.

How much longer does Callahan have left?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think the Flyers are much more likely to trade a 1st round pick / substantial futures for Trouba. That organization is impatient for contention now, whereas I think Yzerman will be more patient with the Wings and continue to draft and develop for another year or two.

1st + Frost is futures - and it is substantial.
It is not ideal from our POV but the value would be good. That 1st could get us a VG D man, either L or R side.
Frost is not a blue chipper or he would have been in the NHL already, but he shows strong 2C potential. Being going into D+3 he should not be too far away from the NHL.

Reactions: jgimp

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
How much longer does Callahan have left?

1 year so we free up an addition $5.6m for ourselves next year. Here is a rough estimate using a $83m cap for next year.

Forwards

Player

Salary

Wheeler

Scheifele

Laine

Connor

Ehlers

Johnson

Callahan

Little

Lowry

Copp

Tanev

Appleton

Roslovic

Vesalainen

Total for Forwards = 59,194,165

Defence

Byfuglien

Morrissey

Niku

Morrow

Beaulieu

Sergachev

Total for Defence = 16,169,166

Goalies

Hellebuyck

Backup

Total for Goalies =

Total for All = 81,529,997

Salary Cap = 83,000,000

Space Leftover = 1,470,003
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
From Tampa
Callahan
Sergachev
Johnson

From Winnipeg
+ something else

i think Callahan would get 3-way dealt to NYR in this scenario and we + TBL send NYR a sweetner for taking on the dump

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Evolving Hockey's statistical analysis has Myers projected as a $6.19 million UFA. What do you think they are missing in their analysis?

I'm not familiar with evolving hockey so can't say how they arrived at that number. I will guess they are missing his weakness in the D zone. His weakness against better opponents when he plays 2nd pair. He played a lot better as the season progressed but that doesn't mean he won't revert to his earlier level of play. It isn't like he is 24 YO and still improving.

I've been thinking that some team gives him 5-5.5 mil and 5 years. Every year I am surprised by some UFA contracts. Maybe I will be again. I don't want to pay him anywhere near that much, either AAV or term. Let someone else have him.

Is that why Chevy has not signed him already? Or is it just that he is awaiting resolution with Trouba?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
i think Callahan would get 3-way dealt to NYR in this scenario and we + TBL send NYR a sweetner for taking on the dump

That could work. I'd imagine they'd want someone like Spacek or one of our other young D.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Didn't realize Tampa is getting fully neutered. Yzerman is taking Verbeek and Murray their Head Scout with him to Detroit. This might be our chance to take advantage of the situation in Tampa. We are in just as much of a pickle. It all starts with getting rid of Perreault and Kulikovs contracts... man Chevy has his work cut out for him. Every cent we can save on Laine and Connor will be huge. In the end we may have to make the decision to move one of Connor, Ehlers or Laine to make everything work out still, especially if we want to get ourselves a capable 2C. There are a good slew of dmen coming into the ranks soon that will likely get every shot to save us money on any guys we bring back in. We are officially in cap hell boys and gals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad