Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I wouldn't call it a 3 way but we might flip Callahan the NYR if the price was not too steep.

I don't think we need to give up any assets for Callahan to be taken by anyone else we can either buy him out and he can go wherever he wants or we keep him and let his deal expire.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Didn't realize Tampa is getting fully neutered. Yzerman is taking Verbeek and Murray their Head Scout with him to Detroit. This might be our chance to take advantage of the situation in Tampa. We are in just as much of a pickle. It all starts with getting rid of Perreault and Kulikovs contracts... man Chevy has his work cut out for him. Every cent we can save on Laine and Connor will be huge. In the end we may have to make the decision to move one of Connor, Ehlers or Laine to make everything work out still, especially if we want to get ourselves a capable 2C. There are a good slew of dmen coming into the ranks soon that will likely get every shot to save us money on any guys we bring back in. We are officially in cap hell boys and gals.

:laugh: Getting rid of MP and Myers. We need cap relief that lasts longer than Kuli's 1 year. Not to mention that we still need him at LD for 1 more year.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Only 1 year? Pretty good deal then. Callahan is still a solid NHL player, just overpaid. Get a young top 4 dman and a 2C. Go get it done Dax :eek:

If only I was in charge. But there would still be a major problem on our hands the next off-season. MoJo and Sergachev would be due raises and we can only afford one of them without either moving Little somehow Or trading one of Connor, Ehlers or Laine in a big deal that recoups us assets. Plus if we bridge either or on one of Laine/Connor that would also be on the horizon.

Reactions: MardyBum

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Philly would still have Patrick + Frost at C. Neither is as good as Couts, at least not yet. But it is not like they would be devoid of Cs. Giroux could move back to C for 1 yr but that is probably not optimal.

LW is not a great need for them. A LW would have to move to the right.

Sanheim has stepped up this year, but I don't think he really has Trouba potential. Not with much probability at any rate. They win Trouba for Sanheim 1 for 1, assuming Trouba signs.

That said, it still probably isn't enough. They really like Couturier. I think there is a fair bit of potential for a trade with Philly but it does not likely involve Couts, much as I might like to get him.
Patrick is a 30 pt player and Frost hasn't stepped foot in the NHL yet, they're not trading Couturier 0 chance.

they have JVR/Giroux/Voracek/Konecny as top 6 Wingers.

Why doesn't Sanheim have potential to put up a year like Trouba's? he rates just as good in his 23 year old season as Trouba did and has always been a promising prospect

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
:laugh: Getting rid of MP and Myers. We need cap relief that lasts longer than Kuli's 1 year. Not to mention that we still need him at LD for 1 more year.

We can't afford him if we take on a 2C. Myers, Kulikov and Perreault all gotta go. If we make a deal with Tampa and Sergachev is part of that well the cap situation only gets worse before it gets better. We'd likely be rolling with something like...

MoJo - Buff
Niku - Sergachev
Beaulieu - Morrow

For next year until the cavalry of our D prospects is capable of sliding in there. In that situation I'd imagine Serge puts up some points. Which means he's due for a raise or a bridge. MoJo is in need of a big raise then likely and if one of or both of Connor and Laine are bridged well... it gets even worse.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Nope. I'd think about a Trouba for Patrick trade straight up. I don't think Philly does it based on potential. But the kid has been a bandaid for a few years now.

Trouba is such a good fit for Philly's needs. They would have to be willing to pay fair value for him if he would sign there. I would be leery of taking Patrick straight up but on paper it should be good. His development has been unspectacular, but OK. His health is about the same. The injury worry has not been fulfilled, but has not gone away either.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Trouba is such a good fit for Philly's needs. They would have to be willing to pay fair value for him if he would sign there. I would be leery of taking Patrick straight up but on paper it should be good. His development has been unspectacular, but OK. His health is about the same. The injury worry has not been fulfilled, but has not gone away either.

It's a huge gamble but one that could massively pay off. Unless he has a monster season next year you could likely sign him pretty long (5/6 years) on a bargain contract and hope he breaks out.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think we need to give up any assets for Callahan to be taken by anyone else we can either buy him out and he can go wherever he wants or we keep him and let his deal expire.

Those are options, but if the cost was Spacek with a late pick coming back I would do it.

It would be nice to have those options.

Buyout might also be an option for TBL, although moving him would be better.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Those are options, but if the cost was Spacek with a late pick coming back I would do it.

It would be nice to have those options.

Buyout might also be an option for TBL, although moving him would be better.

Yeah they need all the money they can get. We can handle the buyout price for the short term. It's the long tern that is worrying. I'm starting to wonder if Vesalainen shows well next year if we should trade one of our other wingers and snag some extra futures for future cap worries.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Patrick is a 30 pt player and Frost hasn't stepped foot in the NHL yet, they're not trading Couturier 0 chance.

they have JVR/Giroux/Voracek/Konecny as top 6 Wingers.

Why doesn't Sanheim have potential to put up a year like Trouba's? he rates just as good in his 23 year old season as Trouba did and has always been a promising prospect

Stop arguing Couturier with me! Where have I said it was anything but unlikely? Argue this with the guy who suggested it.

I don't think Sanheim has ever been rated the all around D man that Trouba is, outside of Philly fans. And it is Trouba is, not might be. You are entitled to disagree.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm also thinking we ship Perreault top Edmonton, they need winger support badly and he's better than Kassian, Rattie and Lucic. I'd do it for a 2nd to 4th round pick just to get out of that contract. Easy pick up for the Oilers.

Kulikov is a bit tougher but Sens might have some interest.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Stop arguing Couturier with me! Where have I said it was anything but unlikely? Argue this with the guy who suggested it.

I don't think Sanheim has ever been rated the all around D man that Trouba is, outside of Philly fans. And it is Trouba is, not might be. You are entitled to disagree.
like i said enlighten us why Sanheim can't be as good Trouba by the time he's 25. I am not a Philly fan and am saying i think he has potential so you're wrong on saying outside of Philly fans..... and you're the one who keeps bringing up moving Couturier

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
I don't think either of those players would be ideal. But both may be better than the alternatives. Could only be done after Nylander gets his bonus though. My guess is that Trouba goes before the draft. Just a guess though.

I’m thinking Chevy is already working on moving him. Talk to him and his agent Overcharge, see where he would be willing to extend and do a sign and trade. Any team that he would be looking at are already in their offseason. Det, TB, Fla, Ny, maybe Philly. All with maybe exception of FLA need a top RHD and all have plenty of assets

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'm also thinking we ship Perreault top Edmonton, they need winger support badly and he's better than Kassian, Rattie and Lucic. I'd do it for a 2nd to 4th round pick just to get out of that contract. Easy pick up for the Oilers.

Kulikov is a bit tougher but Sens might have some interest.
I was thinking Buffalo for Perreault, although I don't want to move him. Buffalo, assuming they sign Skinner, are thin on good LWs (Sheary, Rodrigues and Olofsson after Skinner) and have sufficient cap space... something EDM doesn't have

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We can't afford him if we take on a 2C. Myers, Kulikov and Perreault all gotta go. If we make a deal with Tampa and Sergachev is part of that well the cap situation only gets worse before it gets better. We'd likely be rolling with something like...

MoJo - Buff
Niku - Sergachev
Beaulieu - Morrow

For next year until the cavalry of our D prospects is capable of sliding in there. In that situation I'd imagine Serge puts up some points. Which means he's due for a raise or a bridge. MoJo is in need of a big raise then likely and if one of or both of Connor and Laine are bridged well... it gets even worse.

Sergachev doesn't get his raise until after Kulikov's contract expires. If we get Sergachev, at least the replacement for Kuli is taken care of.

It makes less sense to keep Beaulieu than it does keeping Kulikov. To trade Kulikov we need to retain or give away an asset to get someone to take him. If we retain, Beaulieu costs as much as Kuli and isn't as good. We can't afford to use more assets to pay people to take on bad contracts. If we buyout Kulikov then Beaulieu's contract + the buyout cost = Kuli's contract. Then there is the 2nd year of the buyout.

I just don't see enough benefit to getting rid of Kulikov. Play him to the end of his contract. He is a 2.5 mil D man who costs 4.3. So the loss on him is 1.8 for 1 year.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
1st + Frost is futures - and it is substantial.
It is not ideal from our POV but the value would be good. That 1st could get us a VG D man, either L or R side.
Frost is not a blue chipper or he would have been in the NHL already, but he shows strong 2C potential. Being going into D+3 he should not be too far away from the NHL.

At this stage I would be ok with Frost + ‘19 1st. Frost is still a prospect and has yet to play a game against men but is tracking well. 1st gets us a another good prospect for the pipeline.

Reactions: untouchable21

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's a huge gamble but one that could massively pay off. Unless he has a monster season next year you could likely sign him pretty long (5/6 years) on a bargain contract and hope he breaks out.

It is a gamble. Could be very good. The risk reward ratio is probably good.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I was thinking Buffalo for Perreault, although I don't want to move him. Buffalo, assuming they sign Skinner, are thin on good LWs (Sheary, Rodrigues and Olofsson after Skinner) and have sufficient cap space... something EDM doesn't have

That's true Edmonton is pretty light. Either way Perreault makes to much for his role and his cap space can go to better uses so he is a priority move for me this summer. All in all I think my summer honey-do list for Chevy is...

- Wait to see how the market plays out and try and get Connor and Laine on reasonable contracts. If bridges must be done so be it.

- Trade Perreault and recoup a 2nd-4th round pick.

- Trade Kulikov and recoup an asset if possible. If we have to sweeten the deal try and do it with late round picks and that's it.

- Sign Brandon Tanev and Andrew Copp

- Let Myers walk

- Target Tampa in a Trouba trade. It just makes sense.

- If Hendricks is done with hockey, get him in some sort of staff role close to the players

- Sign Beaulieu and Morrow to bargain contracts, if not them find someone similar in Fa and get them on bargain contracts

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Sergachev doesn't get his raise until after Kulikov's contract expires. If we get Sergachev, at least the replacement for Kuli is taken care of.

It makes less sense to keep Beaulieu than it does keeping Kulikov. To trade Kulikov we need to retain or give away an asset to get someone to take him. If we retain, Beaulieu costs as much as Kuli and isn't as good. We can't afford to use more assets to pay people to take on bad contracts. If we buyout Kulikov then Beaulieu's contract + the buyout cost = Kuli's contract. Then there is the 2nd year of the buyout.

I just don't see enough benefit to getting rid of Kulikov. Play him to the end of his contract. He is a 2.5 mil D man who costs 4.3. So the loss on him is 1.8 for 1 year.

Yeah but if Callahan is coming back as well as one of Johnson/Miller then Kulikov has to go there's just no way around it. Even in a buyout situation for Callahan Kulikov has to go. It's going to be a down season anyways and Kulikov isn't needed. Kulikov is still useful to someone and I think we can move a late round pick to get it done.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Johnson has a full no-trade clause. I highly doubt he would waive it for the Jets.

But I like the way you are going with this. Replace Trouba with a cheaper / younger player like Sergachev, and sweeten the deal by clearing cap room.

Instead of Johnson, what about JT Miller? He doesn't have a NTC, has played C in the past, has a bit more size and bite to his game, and still comes in at $5.25M.

Callahan also has a no-trade clause, but maybe he'd waive it if the Jets agreed to buy him out. Then he would re-sign with TB, or any other team he wants without losing much in salary.

Something like this?

To TB:

Trouba (6.75M)
Roslovic (0.9 M)

To Wpg:

Sergachev (0.9M)
J.T. Miller (5.3M)
Callahan (5.8M)
Pick (2020 1st or 2nd)

TB might still need to shed some salary, but it would have the net result of clearing about $4.3 million in cap space, while filling in their D with Trouba and Roslovic.

Feels like a better deal for TB than for us honestly. Serg and JT makes sense for Trouba, but I think Roslo is worth more than a late pick (especially a second), and adding in Callahan to me means that they would need to add even more value back.

Trouba + Roslo for Serg/Cernak + Cirelli + Miller + Callahan.

And then buyout / move Callahan to NYR, etc.

Probably too big to happen.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i think we are looking at a Pacioretty type deal for Trouba

Top 15 1st/equivalent (Suzuki)
2nd round pick (owned by CBJ so pick 50+)
Replacement player (Tatar)

or something like Dougie Hamilton trade

at the 2015 draft (mind you, the best draft since 03) 14thOA+45 OA+52 OA

or a full on CGY/CAR deal with moving parts on each end... pair Trouba+Roslovic for a stud C and a developing RD

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Feels like a better deal for TB than for us honestly. Serg and JT makes sense for Trouba, but I think Roslo is worth more than a late pick (especially a second), and adding in Callahan to me means that they would need to add even more value back.

Trouba + Roslo for Serg/Cernak + Cirelli + Miller + Callahan.

And then buyout / move Callahan to NYR, etc.

Probably too big to happen.

Yeah the more likely move is just Trouba for Callahan, Miller/Johnson and Sergachev. The idea here is that it gives Tampa the money to sign both Point and Trouba long term while netting us the replacements we need.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
At this stage I would be ok with Frost + ‘19 1st. Frost is still a prospect and has yet to play a game against men but is tracking well. 1st gets us a another good prospect for the pipeline.

I would take that as well. Our D would be young next year, but we could possibly add a vet or 2 at the TD (not for 1st round picks) for the stretch run.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
That's true Edmonton is pretty light. Either way Perreault makes to much for his role and his cap space can go to better uses so he is a priority move for me this summer. All in all I think my summer honey-do list for Chevy is...

- Wait to see how the market plays out and try and get Connor and Laine on reasonable contracts. If bridges must be done so be it.

- Trade Perreault and recoup a 2nd-4th round pick.

- Trade Kulikov and recoup an asset if possible. If we have to sweeten the deal try and do it with late round picks and that's it.

- Sign Brandon Tanev and Andrew Copp

- Let Myers walk

- Target Tampa in a Trouba trade. It just makes sense.

- If Hendricks is done with hockey, get him in some sort of staff role close to the players

- Sign Beaulieu and Morrow to bargain contracts, if not them find someone similar in Fa and get them on bargain contracts
I am probably in the minority, but i wouldn't move Perreault just to sign Tanev. Love Tanev, but he fits on one line with one style of play that's with Lowry. Perreault in a down offensive year with the Jets still eclipsed Tanev's career high. Perreault offers more versatility to play up and down the line up.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I am probably in the minority, but i wouldn't move Perreault just to sign Tanev. Love Tanev, but he fits on one line with one style of play that's with Lowry. Perreault in a down offensive year with the Jets still eclipsed Tanev's career high. Perreault offers more versatility to play up and down the line up.

Perreault was a complete liability this year. One of the worst penalty differentials on the team. Not pulling his weight at all. Tanev brought way more and has shown he has an offensive side to his game that actually includes drawing penalties rather than taking them. Plus he blows Perreault out of the water when it comes to zone entry/exit efficiency.

Reactions: GNP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad