Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Maybe Roslovic for Leddy.

And don't sell the Island short. I think it's high on Jacob's list.

I am not selling LI short. With RHDs Pulock/Boychuk/Dobson/Mayfield /Wilde.... Trouba is a luxury, not a need.
Speedy, skilled forwards are a need

Reactions: Gil Fisher

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
Any trade with philly I would like Chevy to try and get Frost

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I wanted Hronek last year when I thought we were trading Trouba and Detroit was the obvious destination. Doubt he's available now but if Yzerman wants to make a big splash Hronek would be a target.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I just think both might test free agency. Vancouver might have some cap space to burn and Tanev may elect to go play with his brother. He might also elect to just go with the highest bidder. Chiarot kept mentioning how he loves playing in Canada over and over again. He did say he likes Winnipeg because it reminds him of his hometown but he kept mentioning how he loves playing in Canada and on Hockey Night in Canada. I think he tests FA just to see which Canadian teams have interest in him.

Most likely. For both, this will be their last/best chance at making substantially more money. Neither is likely to have the kind of career earnings that allow them to leave money on the table.

I think both will get multiple good offers but not really big money. Jets offers may match, or very close. We'll have to wait and see.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the Flyers are much more likely to trade a 1st round pick / substantial futures for Trouba. That organization is impatient for contention now, whereas I think Yzerman will be more patient with the Wings and continue to draft and develop for another year or two.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I feel quite confident the Jet's will go 5 yrs at $ 5 mil for Myers. This is assuming that Trouba is "not" returning, which looks very probable.

I hope Trouba doesn't return -- we'll do fine without him, and pick up some young 1st round draft picks, or a good young 2nd line center.

This is the way to go --sign the guy that wants to be here --and that's Myers.

Wanting to be here is nice, but it is not enough. Myers at 5x5 costs us some other player. It costs us what little cap flexibility we might have. It cuts our trade flexibility for Trouba way down. Myers just isn't a 5 mil player.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wanting to be here is nice, but it is not enough. Myers at 5x5 costs us some other player. It costs us what little cap flexibility we might have. It cuts our trade flexibility for Trouba way down. Myers just isn't a 5 mil player.
Evolving Hockey's statistical analysis has Myers projected as a $6.19 million UFA. What do you think they are missing in their analysis?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Myers' market value is way over $5 million. Evolving Wild projects him at 7 x $6.2M as a UFA. $5.5M per year on a 6+ year contract would be a discount based on the market.

Myers ranked 94th among NHL D in xGPM_60 this past season, in the same range as Pulock, Carlo, Slavin, Brodie, Sergachev, McNabb, Dermott, etc. That's a solid 2nd pairing ranking.

A few teams are going to bet that Myers is past his injury woes of the past few years and offer him a substantial contract.

Only missed 2 games over the last 2 years. I think that is over.

I'm skeptical of those evolving wild projections, but we'll see. I wouldn't give Myers anywhere near those numbers.

We could end up losing a lot of players next year. Trouba, Hayes, Tanev, Myers, Chiarot, Beaulieu, Morrow. That opens up space for Vesalainen, Appleton, Niku, Poolman. That will certainly be a step back.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don’t think Babcock was as good of a coach as many think he was. I think he was gifted a generational team and stellar scouting staff in Detroit

Most would agree. No coach is really all that great. Coaches have their particular system and strengths with certain types of player but no matter what a coach is only ever as good as his roster. If the players execute a system then they will win. If they don't, they likely wont win.

I saw a study not long ago, think it was on NHL Numbers, that coaching changes has virtually no major impact on a teams play. That the major impacts tend to came from player changes. You want to shake up a roster you make some trades. Most people would attribute the Islanders recent success to Barry Trotz. But maybe simply moving Tavares out. And adding Martin, Komorov, Filpulla, Toews and Lehner had a far greater effect.

Last edited:

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Most would agree. No coach is really all that great. Coaches have their particular system and strengths with certain types of player but no matter what a coach is only ever as good as his roster. If the players execute a system then they will win. If they don't, they likely wont win.

I saw a study not long ago, think it was on NHL Numbers, that coaching changes has virtually no major impact on a teams play. That the major impacts tend to came from player changes. You want to shake up a roster you make some trades. Most people would attribute the Islanders recent success to Barry Trotz. But maybe simply moving Tavares out. And adding Martin, Komorov, Filpulla, Toews and Lehner had a far greater effect.

I’m also in the belief that GMs need to stop recycling these NHL coaches and get away from the constant shuffling and start looking at bringing in some fresh faces. There is plenty to look at. Europe, NCAA, AHL. Look at their systems and see if there is a fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->