Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would sign Myers to Kulikov type money, if he would take it. He is better than Kulikov and plays rd which is harder to replace. Also puts a little less pressure on poolman and Niku for a year or two.

The problem with judging Myers by the Kulikov contract is that Kulikov was badly overpaid from the beginning, even by UFA standards.

If we sign Myers to a contract that is competitive with what he will get on the open market we are not leaving cap space for anything else. Trouba will have to go for futures only. The inability to take cap in return will severely limit the trade possibilities, for example.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't think Myers will take a 2-3 mil/yr discount to stay. I don't think Chevy's offer would be that low either but it should be. Myers for 3 years for 9-10 mil would be OK. But he will get both more term and more AAV, by quite a bit. He might stay here for 5x5 but that would be awful.

Judging by his final interview he seems to really like it here. Players with families that are rooted tend to be less willing to move on. I'd only want to keep him if Trouba is gone as the remaining options outside of him are not as good, at least not yet. Unless by some miracle we get a player that is better on the right side, which is a fantasy IMO.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Judging by his final interview he seems to really like it here. Players with families that are rooted tend to be less willing to move on. I'd only want to keep him if Trouba is gone as the remaining options outside of him are not as good, at least not yet. Unless by some miracle we get a player that is better on the right side, which is a fantasy IMO.

I've lightened up on my criticism of Myers. He improved a lot from the early season garbage. But the best contract he would conceivably sign here, because he is so comfortable here with his family, etc, is still about 1.5 mil too much AAV and 2 years longer than the best contract I would give him.

I don't think we can afford to give that much cap space & term to a player of his calibre. I think we need to lose Myers and Perreault this year and Kulikov next year to manage the cap. Doing it by losing MP and Kulikov this year and holding on to Myers doesn't work because Myers will be here beyond next year. We need all 3 gone by then.

I don't think Seattle is going to do us any favours by taking one of our high paid veterans unless we pay them to do so. Something we can't afford to do. Little and Wheeler will be too old to interest them and Myers probably will be too. I think that cap recovery is a pipe dream.

Our asset management has been loose, IMO for the last couple of years. We no longer have the leeway to be able to afford that. In fact, we will now be paying the price for that poor management. We certainly can't afford any more.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I've lightened up on my criticism of Myers. He improved a lot from the early season garbage. But the best contract he would conceivably sign here, because he is so comfortable here with his family, etc, is still about 1.5 mil too much AAV and 2 years longer than the best contract I would give him.

I don't think we can afford to give that much cap space & term to a player of his calibre. I think we need to lose Myers and Perreault this year and Kulikov next year to manage the cap. Doing it by losing MP and Kulikov this year and holding on to Myers doesn't work because Myers will be here beyond next year. We need all 3 gone by then.

I don't think Seattle is going to do us any favours by taking one of our high paid veterans unless we pay them to do so. Something we can't afford to do. Little and Wheeler will be too old to interest them and Myers probably will be too. I think that cap recovery is a pipe dream.

Our asset management has been loose, IMO for the last couple of years. We no longer have the leeway to be able to afford that. In fact, we will now be paying the price for that poor management. We certainly can't afford any more.

Yeah it's going to be tough. But if we lose Myers, Perreault and Trouba by next season. We are not making the playoffs IMO. If we lose Tanev it's even more of a lost season. With the way Chiarot was talking I wouldn't be surprised if he tests FA as well.

Reactions: Robinson2187

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah it's going to be tough. But if we lose Myers, Perreault and Trouba by next season. We are not making the playoffs IMO. If we lose Tanev it's even more of a lost season. With the way Chiarot was talking I wouldn't be surprised if he tests FA as well.

I would try to not lose Tanev, or Chiarot either. Might not be able to afford them though. Depends on FA. We can't know the effect of losing Trouba until we know what we get for him.

If we lose all that, I don't think Myers makes the difference between PO and lottery. Or, if he is enough for us to squeak in by 1 pt as 2nd WC we would not have a team that could get out of the first rd. Not if Myers is our difference maker.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I would try to not lose Tanev, or Chiarot either. Might not be able to afford them though. Depends on FA. We can't know the effect of losing Trouba until we know what we get for him.

If we lose all that, I don't think Myers makes the difference between PO and lottery. Or, if he is enough for us to squeak in by 1 pt as 2nd WC we would not have a team that could get out of the first rd. Not if Myers is our difference maker.

I just think both might test free agency. Vancouver might have some cap space to burn and Tanev may elect to go play with his brother. He might also elect to just go with the highest bidder. Chiarot kept mentioning how he loves playing in Canada over and over again. He did say he likes Winnipeg because it reminds him of his hometown but he kept mentioning how he loves playing in Canada and on Hockey Night in Canada. I think he tests FA just to see which Canadian teams have interest in him.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't think Myers will take a 2-3 mil/yr discount to stay. I don't think Chevy's offer would be that low either but it should be. Myers for 3 years for 9-10 mil would be OK. But he will get both more term and more AAV, by quite a bit. He might stay here for 5x5 but that would be awful.

I feel quite confident the Jet's will go 5 yrs at $ 5 mil for Myers. This is assuming that Trouba is "not" returning, which looks very probable.

I hope Trouba doesn't return -- we'll do fine without him, and pick up some young 1st round draft picks, or a good young 2nd line center.

This is the way to go --sign the guy that wants to be here --and that's Myers.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
:wally:

I don't think Myers, Tanev, or Chiarot will be be pushed around by Chevy in free agent talks--they will push back. Hopefully they find the happy medium.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Myers' market value is way over $5 million. Evolving Wild projects him at 7 x $6.2M as a UFA. $5.5M per year on a 6+ year contract would be a discount based on the market.

Myers ranked 94th among NHL D in xGPM_60 this past season, in the same range as Pulock, Carlo, Slavin, Brodie, Sergachev, McNabb, Dermott, etc. That's a solid 2nd pairing ranking.

A few teams are going to bet that Myers is past his injury woes of the past few years and offer him a substantial contract.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Myers was embarrassingly bad at the beginning of the year, but cleaned up his game as the year wore on. Still, he is a third pairing defenseman and would need to take a discount for us to be able to sign him, given the RFA contract issues.

But, if Trouba is traded (for prospects/picks or a 2C and not an RHD) and Myers leaves, then what happens to our right side on defense? All of a sudden it is Buff, Poolman, and who else? Do they put Niku over there? In any case, that's not a very experienced D core and I think it will have a great detrimental effect on the team's performance. You can't play an aging 34 year old Buff 30+ minutes every night.

I don't think there is any chance we go in to the year with a RHD situation of:

Buff
xxx
xxx

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Myers' market value is way over $5 million. Evolving Wild projects him at 7 x $6.2M as a UFA. $5.5M per year on a 6+ year contract would be a discount based on the market.

Not disagreeing with you, because I can totally see another team making a decent splash on a guy like Myers in UFA.

However, at anywhere remotely close to that price though, good riddance.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Couldn't we throw Michael Stone or Sami Vatanen through a trade in there and get hem to soak up some minutes while poolman and and Niku grow? and then not pay myers so much money?

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Myers was embarrassingly bad at the beginning of the year, but cleaned up his game as the year wore on. Still, he is a third pairing defenseman and would need to take a discount for us to be able to sign him, given the RFA contract issues.

But, if Trouba is traded (for prospects/picks or a 2C and not an RHD) and Myers leaves, then what happens to our right side on defense? All of a sudden it is Buff, Poolman, and who else? Do they put Niku over there? In any case, that's not a very experienced D core and I think it will have a great detrimental effect on the team's performance. You can't play an aging 34 year old Buff 30+ minutes every night.

I don't think there is any chance we go in to the year with a RHD situation of:

Buff
xxx
xxx

I agree which to me is why the return needs to be really good for Trouba to make it worth while, because we will then need to trade a winger for immediate help on RD or extend Myers (which probably isn't optimal). If we keep Trouba as our own rental it buys the young guys like Niku, Poolman, Kovacevic a year of seasoning with some of that time being at the NHL on the third pair, potentially with some spot duty filling into the top 4 when/if injuries occur. Then when Trouba walks we could still trade a winger for a RHD if we needed to, but maybe we feel comfortable with the guys we have or are able to sign a UFA.

I could get behind something like:
JMo Trouba (as a rental)
Samberg Buff - Buff is really good breaking in the kids
Kulikov Niku - I don't see us being able to get out of Kulikov's contrac
Poolman - needs waivers next year so will be a Jet

Maybe keep around Morrow or Beaulieu for depth but we need to start transitioning to the young D core by breaking in Samberg/Niku this year and then Stanley/Poolman the year after as we'll need the ELCs on D to be able to afford our expensive forwards.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

I believe Laine is 220 lbs. -- but he was 235 lbs the year before, so he dropped 15 lbs of fat, and it showed in his stamina this year.

Is that right? I thought he was much lighter than that.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Listed at 206 lbs on the NHL site.
Based on how he looked at his exit press interview, I'd be very surprised if he was only 206 lbs at the end of the season. He seemed less lean than he was at the start of the season, to be honest.

Reactions: Runforthecup

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Based on how he looked at his exit press interview, I'd be very surprised if he was only 206 lbs at the end of the season. He seemed less lean than he was at the start of the season, to be honest.

I would be inclined to agree, that was most likely his pre-season weight. I dunno if he gained 20 pounds over the past 7 months though... probably somewhere in the middle is my guess.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I guess the question is this in terms of Chiarot:

Can you get similar/better performance from Beaulieu/Samberg for less money? If that's the case, you unfortunately let Chiarot go. He's grown on me this year and really improved. A team will offer him top 4 money and he will likely be gone.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I guess the question is this in terms of Chiarot:

Can you get similar/better performance from Beaulieu/Samberg for less money? If that's the case, you unfortunately let Chiarot go. He's grown on me this year and really improved. A team will offer him top 4 money and he will likely be gone.
Yeah. I can't see Chariot being signed long term...we have a lot of defensemen (2LD & 3LD) coming through and don't want him blocking them. Niku/Samberg are really close to claiming those spots.

As for Myers, i was happy with his season on the whole. But I feel the health and performance may be outliers and that his next contract will be an anchor to whomever inks it.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Isles would not put Dobson on the table for a soon to be ufa.
Isles refused to add him to the offer for an extended Stone. Lou balked at Fl's demand of Sorokin +1st for Hoffman later saying he has a plan in place and this season's unexpected success will not change that plan.
Trouba has zero ties to LI. Zero interest in the soon to be ufa.

Lehner says he wants to stay. Press says the hold up on Lee's extension is term. Lee wants 7/8 seasons and Lou wants less. I expect the isles to blink and give him what he wants.

Isles reportedly have interest in Panarin/Duchene/Skinner. If Lou strikes out on the ufa market, maybe some thing around Ehlers for Leddy?
Maybe Roslovic for Leddy.

And don't sell the Island short. I think it's high on Jacob's list.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Brace yourself for the flood of Trouba to the Leafs threads on the main boards. Ugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad