Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Murat in the Athletic suggests that Stone would be the best fit in that he can score,and is defensively responsible and can help the biggest difference between last year and this year, which is giving up high quality chances.

If Chevy is going to make a deal, and a top 4 D isn't available, Stone probably does fit better than Duchene.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
From what I know, Stone wants to come here. He also would be interested in signing here long term.

We have a ton of talented forwards up front. We lack what Stone is up front. A big bodied possession winger who is really good in his own end. I think the Jets would be willing to sacrifice one of the other wingers in the off season if it means they keep Stone long term.

Mind you all that depends if they can get him and if he gels with this team.
To reiterate:

Step 1: Acquire Stone as a rental (for late 1st, Lemieux, B prospect).
Step 2: Re-sign Stone long-term.
Step 3: Trade Connor for a good, cost-controlled top-4 D (Pesce / Manson).
Step 4: Trade Trouba for a mid 1st and a top-grade forward prospect.

2020 and beyond:

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-Little-Stone
Vesalainen-Copp-Roslovic
Tanev-Lowry-Appleton

Morrissey-Pesce / Manson
Niku-Buff
Samberg-Poolman

If Trouba can be re-signed, then trade Connor for a mid-1st and top grade prospect and keep Morrissey-Trouba together on D.

Don't get me wrong, I love Connor. But I think that Stone brings more than Connor to the Jets in terms of driving the play and defensively, and allows the Jets to fill other holes, either on RD or in replenishing the prospect pool with top-end talent.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I also think Petan for Puljujaarvi has no downside for the Jets, if it could happen.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the Sens really really want Roslovic
Then they would need to sweeten the pot with another asset if they also want the Jets 1st.

Chevy will hold to his price, regardless. If the Sens won't trade Stone with Roslovic in return, I think Chevy will turn to other options for TDL rental and perhaps cycle back to Stone in the summer as a UFA.

Reactions: snowkiddin

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I also think Petan for Puljujaarvi has no downside for the Jets, if it could happen.

Dreger explains:
“There is a trade market for Jesse Puljujarvi, but my understanding is that the Oilers just want too much – the ask on him is way too high. … But I don’t get the sense that Puljujarvi has much, if any, interest in going to Bakersfield and playing in the American Hockey League. Doesn’t have a choice organizationally, so if the Oilers want to take a tough stand on him then so be it.”​

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I don't think we can afford to lose anyone on D. We have wingers, we don't have defencemen. With Kuli out you will see Morrow full time.
I think we should keep our top 6 winger and hope that some combo of injuries and angels telling Maurice to stop wasting the talent on the team gets Perreault some damn linemates. On the other hand, Kulikov brings very little for what he is paid.

I do not agree with any of this 'trade Perreault' nonsense. So much of it is based on a self-fulfilled prophecy of Perreault having declined because he has been given as little to work with as humanly possible. Moving him for peanuts or as a cap dump would be idiotic. Give him Laine, and you'll see an improvement out of both players. Likely, that is.

Seeing Morrow full time is a result of garbage assessment of what we have on the blue line. We could upgrade at D today by calling Niku up. And now people are actually contemplating trading him for a f***ing winger we don't need? Ridiculous shit.

Reactions: Jack722

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Then they would need to sweeten the pot with another asset if they also want the Jets 1st.

Chevy will hold to his price, regardless. If the Sens won't trade Stone with Roslovic in return, I think Chevy will turn to other options for TDL rental and perhaps cycle back to Stone in the summer as a UFA.

According to LeBrun, another option is Staal.

Wild center Eric Staal has been circling the trade market prior to the February 25th NHL trade deadline. He has recently been linked to Central Division rival, Winnipeg Jets. The Winnipeg Jets are expected to pursue big names such as Mark Stone and Matt Duchene ahead of the trade deadline, but on Wednesday insider Pierre LeBrun wrote an article in The Athletic, stating he believes the Jets may pursue Staal to boost their playoff push if other efforts fail.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree with @KingBogo; if the Jets acquire Stone (or Duchene) it will be as a pure rental. That's better for the Jets, anyway. Why pay more than a rental price if he's willing to stay long-term in Wpg anyway?

Price? Hard to tell. I'm not sure the Jets will end up wanting to pay much more than they did for Stastny. My guess is a 1st and one more good asset. Perhaps the asset is better than Foley, so maybe a 1st and Appleton or Lemieux? Maybe Chevy can pull it off with a 1st and Stanley. It will all depend on the market and what other top teams are willing to pay. Right now it is still shaping up to be a buyers' market, so I think prices might not be as high as last year.

The rumoured 1st + Petan + Stanley is already higher than last year's 1st + Foley. Much as I liked Foley, I think Petan is a better player. Stanley alone probably rates pretty close to Foley. Oh, forgot there was also a 4th last year, so close. But still not lower than last year's package.

If we are starting to think of boosting that offer, I would lean toward adding Perreault before Appleton or Lemieux. A) I think he should be more appealing to Sens and B) we may need to move him for cap reasons anyway. We would miss Frenchy, but if we add Stone then 1 winger has to be bumped.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I have a feeling to get Stone the cost will be significant. I really hope Niku isn't included, but it might take that kind of prospect to get it done. At this point we will just have to see what Chevy can do. Dorian and his top guys aren't hanging out in Winnipeg in mid February unless something was seriously in the works.

I will be seriously PO'ed if it is Niku - even if Stone is signed.
We are awash in wingers now. If we have to add a higher level player it just has to be a winger. We need all of our good D prospects.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hope you are right. 3 prospects I don't want anywhere near a TD deal are Niku, Samberg or KV. I'll also include Rosie in that group. Appleton might be a good guess. Does a 1st, Appleton and Petan get it done? Maybe Chevy has to add a mid round pick or a signing condition to the package.

I thought this was a buyer's market. The price people are willing to pay keeps ratcheting upward. Appleton shows signs of turning out to be every bit as good as Rosie, except he won't be a C. Well Rosie might well not be a C either. Much as I was Skeptical about Lemieux he has been bringing some elements to the game that Jets were short on.

Remember that we are not trading for a signed Stone. He is a rental. Standard rental prices are already very high. If 1st + Petan + Stanley doesn't do it add a 4th. That was the add to 1st + Foley last year. Our opening offer here, in this buyer's market, is already above what we paid for Stastny. And Stastny turned out to be one of the best TD rentals ever.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
What are the chances the Jets trade Logan Stanley in the Stone trade, HFjets rejoices and then he becomes a dominant top pairing D? I’d say it’s pretty much a guarantee

Reactions: Jake Barnes

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Perreault or Ehlers for Roslovic? Laine for Wheeler? Maybe Petan for Lemieux? Appleton for Tanev?

We have a metric ****ton of options, basically all of which are smarter than mortgaging the future for two months of Stone and an impending cap crunch made even worse. I would think much less of Chevy if he pulled any kind of trigger on a trade for a forward.

Defense. Figure that **** out.

Just because it is rental season doesn't mean normal trades are prohibited.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

I’d easily do it from the Jets POV, but even the dummies over in Edmonton would probably hang up laughing.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Exactly. No real reason to give up a ton of value for Stone unless we are sure we can extend him.

Reactions: Snowman

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think we should keep our top 6 winger and hope that some combo of injuries and angels telling Maurice to stop wasting the talent on the team gets Perreault some damn linemates. On the other hand, Kulikov brings very little for what he is paid.

I do not agree with any of this 'trade Perreault' nonsense. So much of it is based on a self-fulfilled prophecy of Perreault having declined because he has been given as little to work with as humanly possible. Moving him for peanuts or as a cap dump would be idiotic. Give him Laine, and you'll see an improvement out of both players. Likely, that is.

Seeing Morrow full time is a result of garbage assessment of what we have on the blue line. We could upgrade at D today by calling Niku up. And now people are actually contemplating trading him for a ****ing winger we don't need? Ridiculous ****.

Give him Connor and move Laine down. Connor is a much better linemate then Laine recently. Sick of seeing Laine being gifted minutes he doesn't deserve while others have to move down to accommodate him. We can win in spite of Laine scoring. Honeymoons over Laine, earn your f***ing spot.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Give him Connor and move Laine down. Connor is a much better linemate then Laine recently. Sick of seeing Laine being gifted minutes he doesn't deserve while others have to move down to accommodate him. We can win in spite of Laine scoring. Honeymoons over Laine, earn your ****ing spot.
The point was not to make in-house adjustments to get Laine going. It was to stop this mindset that we absolutely must get help from outside to get him going, when we have unexplored options already.

This team isn't playing the way a top contender is supposed to play. This is the wrong year to bet on the Jets - if there even is a right year. Save the assets, let the team figure it out, and see where that gets you.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
To reiterate:

2020 and beyond:

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-Little-Stone
Vesalainen-Copp-Roslovic
Tanev-Lowry-Appleton

Morrissey-Pesce / Manson
Niku-Buff
Samberg-Poolman

If Trouba can be re-signed, then trade Connor for a mid-1st and top grade prospect and keep Morrissey-Trouba together on D.

Don't get me wrong, I love Connor. But I think that Stone brings more than Connor to the Jets in terms of driving the play and defensively, and allows the Jets to fill other holes, either on RD or in replenishing the prospect pool with top-end talent.
I think that's a good plan. Stone and Connor aren't too far off and you're bringing back a great haul by trading Connor.
Really doubt it happens though. Fans would lose their poop as well lol.

Daximus

Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The point was not to make in-house adjustments to get Laine going. It was to stop this mindset that we absolutely must get help from outside to get him going, when we have unexplored options already.

This team isn't playing the way a top contender is supposed to play. This is the wrong year to bet on the Jets - if there even is a right year. Save the assets, let the team figure it out, and see where that gets you.

Honestly at this point for me it's not even about getting Laine going anymore. It's about going for a Cup. you hope he figures it out on the way but as this team has shown it's not a necessity. If he can't play up to standards then you reduce his ice time until he can find a groove. If we get Stone or Duchene or both then it's 100% about just going for the Cup and nothing else. Those who play well will get minutes, those who do not will get reduced.
All teams have set backs and I think there are some extremely unrealistic expactations out there about what a contender (should look like). A contender look like a team that is at the top of the NHL standings and that is it. The rest is up to the players to execute the gameplan efficiently.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
To reiterate:

2020 and beyond:

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-Little-Stone
Vesalainen-Copp-Roslovic
Tanev-Lowry-Appleton

Morrissey-Pesce / Manson
Niku-Buff
Samberg-Poolman

I'm all for getting Stone, but I swear Manson has been a hot mess every time I've watched him play. If we were to trade Connor for him straight up I'd be calling for Chevy's resignation. That's Hall-Larsson level bad. Montour I could handle.

Daximus

Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't how being "gifted" a spot is a problem when you scored 18 goals in a month

Because you haven't "scored" since. He's had more bad games then good games this season by a landslide. Who else gets afforded a 2nd line W spot for doing next to nothing game in and game out??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad