Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Continue.

So hypothetically if the Sens wanted Ehlers, our 1st, Roslovic and Vesalainen for a signed Duchene AND Stone. Would you do it?
I think i see the Jets needing 1 good offensive center to play behind Little that can get 50 to 70 points a year.

Not just for this playoff but for next year and the following years.
Little will still be good and he will be a good soldier. At most he will be 50 point player then slowly drop more.

Laine and Ehlers are clearly superior offensive talent that already achieved higher point total than Little. It will limit the 2 wingers production (its already there).
They are not in McDavid or Crosby that can carry any deadweight. (Eventually they will be able to carry a line). Right nkw they will need someone that works and will maximize this (their talent). Not just for the players own accomplishment but for better overall play by the team forward............

It will be waste if the coach keeps pushing for something that dont really work.

Lots of moving part for next year.

Myers and Trouba and the young forwards.

Hope Chevy can put more pieces together.

Go Jets Go
Laine is slumping so bad right now that you have to consider it. If we got Borowecki with Stone, for Niku, 1st and prospect/pick I'd pull the trigger.

Solves two holes.

Stone on the 1st PP could be the difference. And the kind of player that takes pressure off Laine, which should get the monkey off his back.
Not sure why people keep saying I'd do this or that for a signed Stone or Duchene? It is the TD and they are UFA's. What high end UFA ever did a sign and trade at the TD? It just won't happen. The agent isn't going to be grinding out the most important contract of the guys career while the GM is sitting in another team's building trying to work out a TD package of pick/prospects. Never mind a player willing to be locked in before he even steps into another team's dressing room a couple months away from being able to call your own shots on the open market. Even if Stone went all Tavares and had visions of sleeping in his Jets jamies as a kid, he would only give Chevy an opportunity to convince him after a cup run and before national overpay day. Even then it very likely goes to the final week so he can hear what other teams have to offer before signing on the dotted line. Any deal now with be a pure rental, just like at any TD.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Good sobering post King the question then becomes what does Chevy give up for Stone?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Good sobering post King the question then becomes what does Chevy give up for Stone?
I agree with @KingBogo; if the Jets acquire Stone (or Duchene) it will be as a pure rental. That's better for the Jets, anyway. Why pay more than a rental price if he's willing to stay long-term in Wpg anyway?

Price? Hard to tell. I'm not sure the Jets will end up wanting to pay much more than they did for Stastny. My guess is a 1st and one more good asset. Perhaps the asset is better than Foley, so maybe a 1st and Appleton or Lemieux? Maybe Chevy can pull it off with a 1st and Stanley. It will all depend on the market and what other top teams are willing to pay. Right now it is still shaping up to be a buyers' market, so I think prices might not be as high as last year.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I have a feeling to get Stone the cost will be significant. I really hope Niku isn't included, but it might take that kind of prospect to get it done. At this point we will just have to see what Chevy can do. Dorian and his top guys aren't hanging out in Winnipeg in mid February unless something was seriously in the works.

Reactions: ps241 and angrymnky

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Ya i agree with Kingbogo as well , isn't that basically what Stastny did ? and he wasn't 26 years old either . No way Stone signs until after or on Free agent frenzy .

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree with @KingBogo; if the Jets acquire Stone (or Duchene) it will be as a pure rental. That's better for the Jets, anyway. Why pay more than a rental price if he's willing to stay long-term in Wpg anyway?

Price? Hard to tell. I'm not sure the Jets will end up wanting to pay much more than they did for Stastny. My guess is a 1st and one more good asset. Perhaps the asset is better than Foley, so maybe a 1st and Appleton or Lemieux? Maybe Chevy can pull it off with a 1st and Stanley. It will all depend on the market and what other top teams are willing to pay. Right now it is still shaping up to be a buyers' market, so I think prices might not be as high as last year.
Hope you are right. 3 prospects I don't want anywhere near a TD deal are Niku, Samberg or KV. I'll also include Rosie in that group. Appleton might be a good guess. Does a 1st, Appleton and Petan get it done? Maybe Chevy has to add a mid round pick or a signing condition to the package.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
It’s a decent theory and it might yet happen, but with Bryan Little increasing his production this season, it’s entirely focus the Jets could shift their focus to picking up a top-six winger.

“I’ll wait until after the deadline and then I’ll argue with you about every one of those names that we should have got (in a trade). We’ve got the right guy here (in Little).” When you boil those words down, it’s pretty clear Maurice doesn’t believe the names being tossed around would represent an upgrade and it won’t take much longer to find out if Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff agrees with him.

What Paul Maurice thinks.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Perreault or Ehlers for Roslovic? Laine for Wheeler? Maybe Petan for Lemieux? Appleton for Tanev?

We have a metric f***ton of options, basically all of which are smarter than mortgaging the future for two months of Stone and an impending cap crunch made even worse. I would think much less of Chevy if he pulled any kind of trigger on a trade for a forward.

Defense. Figure that shit out.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I see Chevy wanting to make the deal for Stone with the 1st and surplus prospects like Stanley/Chisholm etc. If the Sens insist on an A prospect like Lemieux or Niku, maybe he switches to a 2nd (with Petan included in either case). The conditional pick could be a 2020 1st if he signs.

If he does sign, coupled with the two major assets that would likely need to be dealt in the summer, what a time to be alive!

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Given the inconsistency of this team and the apparent lack of effort at some times.. is trading for any player ( at the cost of the future either thru the draft picks or young players it will cost us ) going to fix the problems this team has?

Last year the Jets looked like they were playing properly and peaking at the right time to make a deep playoff push and picking up Statsny was the right move to give this team that little bit extra they needed. This season... I don't know. They just don't look like they have it this season IMO, and giving up the future could be costly.

Last regular season we lost 20 games total. This season we have 19 losses with 24 games to go. We aren't the same team. Maybe the best thing to do this year is do nothing. Go with what you got and try to make it work.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Given the inconsistency of this team and the apparent lack of effort at some times.. is trading for any player ( at the cost of the future either thru the draft picks or young players it will cost us ) going to fix the problems this team has?

Last year the Jets looked like they were playing properly and peaking at the right time to make a deep playoff push and picking up Statsny was the right move to give this team that little bit extra they needed. This season... I don't know. They just don't look like they have it this season IMO, and giving up the future could be costly.

Last regular season we lost 20 games total. This season we have 19 losses with 24 games to go. We aren't the same team. Maybe the best thing to do this year is do nothing. Go with what you got and try to make it work.
Agreed.

Are people, like, on board with not drafting in the first round ever again because we need to buy a rental at every TDL to get Laine going?

We have underlying issues. Fix. Them. First.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Agreed.

Are people, like, on board with not drafting in the first round ever again because we need to buy a rental at every TDL to get Laine going?

We have underlying issues. Fix. Them. First.

And that's Maurice's job. Get this team playing better and consistently. There is no excuse for taking a period off every single game. There is no excuse for not showing up when you are playing a team on an 8 game losing streak. And trading for a rental isn't going to fix the mental problems this team has.

Also... any rental we do trade for is not going to sign with the Jets, at least not until the Jets become part of the July "over-pay" season. The players got locked out for a reason, and one of those reasons was so they could become UFAs at a certain age and put themselves out for the highest bidder. It doesn't matter what the Jets would offer to sign a guy like Stone. He's going to tell the Jets "thanks but no thanks" I'm going to play the market. Doesn't mean he won't sign here, it just means the Jets are going to have to outbid another team to get him.

So the cost of any rental... picks and players, plus overpaying in the UFA market if you want to keep him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
And that's Maurice's job. Get this team playing better and consistently. There is no excuse for taking a period off every single game. There is no excuse for not showing up when you are playing a team on an 8 game losing streak. And trading for a rental isn't going to fix the mental problems this team has.

Also... any rental we do trade for is not going to sign with the Jets, at least not until the Jets become part of the July "over-pay" season. The players got locked out for a reason, and one of those reasons was so they could become UFAs at a certain age and put themselves out for the highest bidder. It doesn't matter what the Jets would offer to sign a guy like Stone. He's going to tell the Jets "thanks but no thanks" I'm going to play the market. Doesn't mean he won't sign here, it just means the Jets are going to have to outbid another team to get him.

So the cost of any rental... picks and players, plus overpaying in the UFA market if you want to keep him.
I agree, to an extent.

I think players like Stone also consider the prospects of winning, especially a Cup. That will restrict the number of teams bidding for him, and Winnipeg might look quite attractive in late June.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I've heard through the grapevine Stone is interested in playing here long term (we went to the same high school, he's a year older than me and is friends of friends).

If we can get him for a rental price, and sign him long term. I'm all for it.

I hate rentals but with that knowledge I'd be comfortable going after him. He is imo exactly what this team needs. We don't have many play drivers and he is one of the best.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The stuff about Ehlers going anywhere is pretty funny. Good, under contract players get traded around the draft. When the picks are known commodities, and teams can gamble on filling roster holes immediately.

Maybe I should never say never... but still

Reactions: thereturn

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Anyone think that Comrie could be in the discussions with Ottawa as well? Free Press suggested that he was one person they might be looking into - that wouldn't hurt us that badly.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I've heard through the grapevine Stone is interested in playing here long term (we went to the same high school, he's a year older than me and is friends of friends).

If we can get him for a rental price, and sign him long term. I'm all for it.

I hate rentals but with that knowledge I'd be comfortable going after him. He is imo exactly what this team needs. We don't have many play drivers and he is one of the best.
I'm encouraged. The thought of having Scheif driving first line & Stone driving second is mighty enticing. Laine, they can put him in the PB for all I care right now. Guy is going to be good someday, but he really needs to get his head screwed on before anything happens. No C-man is going to fix Laine's problems right now.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Anyone think that Comrie could be in the discussions with Ottawa as well? Free Press suggested that he was one person they might be looking into - that wouldn't hurt us that badly.

I very much think Comrie is a valuable trade chip. I know young goalies don't often get traded for value, but he's having a very good year and there are teams out there with no plan for their future in net. Ottawa has a good one coming in Filip Gustavsson, 2016 2nd rounder, but Comrie is further developed and with Craig Anderson only having 1 year left and Anders Nilsson up after this year, they could be very interested in Comrie.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
From what I know, Stone wants to come here. He also would be interested in signing here long term.

We have a ton of talented forwards up front. We lack what Stone is up front. A big bodied possession winger who is really good in his own end. I think the Jets would be willing to sacrifice one of the other wingers in the off season if it means they keep Stone long term.

Mind you all that depends if they can get him and if he gels with this team.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
No C-man is going to fix Laine's problems right now.
That's just false.

If you got a sniping centre to play with Laine, you get Laine to stand back door to the net and let the centre ricochet shots off his jock into the net. Goals start coming again .
:DD

Reactions: Jake Barnes

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
From what I know, Stone wants to come here. He also would be interested in signing here long term.

We have a ton of talented forwards up front. We lack what Stone is up front. A big bodied possession winger who is really good in his own end. I think the Jets would be willing to sacrifice one of the other wingers in the off season if it means they keep Stone long term.

Mind you all that depends if they can get him and if he gels with this team.

I agree someone big is going in the offseason if this was to happen. Maybe packaged with Trouba to get a franchise Dman and recoup some picks.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Could he be signed at the same time as the trade, or does it have to wait until the off season?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I understand the hesitancy to move ves and Rosie but the reality is that over the next few years, somebody else is gonna get "petanned" because of our depth (especially if we trade for stone and extend him - Chevy may have done his due diligence and reached out to his camp last summer when he was RFA and knows his interest level and ballpark AAV):
LW:
Ehlers
Conner
Perrault
Lemieux
Ves

RW:
Wheels
Laine (can play left side-ish)
Stone?
Rosie
Apples
Tanev (probably gone)

I'd also hate to part with Niku but at this point, I'm betting that Chevy has an idea of whether or not trouba is open to signing and if he's not, he better have some idea of his return. Would you trade Niku now knowing that you're getting a first rounder (higher than ours now) plus a better Niku coming back at the draft?

The other option is to include one of Rosie/ves/Niku and try to make a "hockey trade" out of it by getting back a d prospect with middle pairing upside. Not sure who Ott has in their system or if they would be willing to part with them considering their state of "rebuild"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad