Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Realistic really? This would be
Equivalent of someone wanting Morrissey and Connor from us a couple years ago for someone with only a year left on his contract. Not sure what player we would consider that a realistic trade offer for.
Would that theoretical player resign in Winnipeg?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Realistic really? This would be
Equivalent of someone wanting Morrissey and Connor from us a couple years ago for someone with only a year left on his contract. Not sure what player we would consider that a realistic trade offer for.

This trade would be contingent on the Flyers extending Trouba (IMO). You don’t get that value back for a rental.

Keep in mind Philly will be ready for real change here soon in fact maybe too soon if they want to salvage this season.

Trouba is a young clear cut big minutes Top pairing RH D man that is top 10 in even strength scoring and plays hard defensively. He is a few levels up from Sanheim now and they are only two years apart in age.

Frost is a great prospect that has not proven anything in the NHL yet. He has real value but until you prove it there is no sure thing.

Lastly I would not trade Trouba for this package if he would extend with us and I don’t think I have homer glasses on too tight? We currently have a great top pair that I think you can win a cup with and I am pissed we have to break it up.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
This trade would be contingent on the Flyers extending Trouba (IMO). You don’t get that value back for a rental.

Keep in mind Philly will be ready for real change here soon in fact maybe too soon if they want to salvage this season.

Trouba is a young clear cut big minutes Top pairing RH D man that is top 10 in even strength scoring and plays hard defensively. He is a few levels up from Sanheim now and they are only two years apart in age.

Frost is a great prospect that has not proven anything in the NHL yet. He has real value but until you prove it there is no sure thing.

Lastly I would not trade Trouba for this package if he would extend with us and I don’t think I have homer glasses on too tight? We currently have a great top pair that I think you can win a cup with and I am pissed we have to break it up.

My thoughts as well.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
It's probably foolish to give any credence at all to TSN 1290 panelists, but today they were saying that if the Jets are serious about a Cup run they need to acquire Duncan Keith ...

I don't follow other teams much at all I'll admit, but isn't Keith signed until he's 40 years old at a $5.5 million cap hit? And hasn't he regressed a lot in recent years? Seems like an albatross contract that Jets should want to part of and the guys on TSN 1290 have been consuming too much cilantro ... am I wrong?

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
It's probably foolish to give any credence at all to TSN 1290 panelists, but today they were saying that if the Jets are serious about a Cup run they need to acquire Duncan Keith ...

I don't follow other teams much at all I'll admit, but isn't Keith signed until he's 40 years old at a $5.5 million cap hit? And hasn't he regressed a lot in recent years? Seems like an albatross contract that Jets should want to part of and the guys on TSN 1290 have been consuming too much cilantro ... am I wrong?

That sounds like an incredibly stupid thing to do

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

They played an audio from Dave Poulin (i believe) where the topic was about CHI blowing it up to rebuild....trading Toews, Kane, Seabrook (lol) and evidently Keith. The 1290 boys brought forward the proposition of the Jets acquiring Keith

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg

You are correct, it's an awful, awful idea. Westwood needs to give his head a shake, who the f*** would want to be stuck with that contract? On top of it all, they were suggesting trading Niku for him...

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

39 YO actually, but with the way he is regressing I wouldn't want that even if Chi retained 50%.

Toews, OTOH is signed until he is 34 (just past his 35th B'day when it expires) at way too much but he is still good. How much retention would be required to make him a good pickup? As long as it isn't over 50% it might be worth considering. Or not, what do people think? Of course, we don't have the cap space anyway.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
All the chatter about Philly really does make too much sense. They have GM now that has made big trades involving futures who was hired by their former GM that loves making splash moves.

That said no team lets others poach their young talent unless it's worth their while. Teams would rather give up 1sts than young players ready to break out.

I think a more realistic ask, around the draft, would be Trouba for:

This year's 1st (assuming they dont get lucky in the lottery)

Next year's 1st

Some swap of mediocre picks and prospects to make both GMs happy.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC

They must have been looking at the trade thread on HF. Similar proposal there, only it was Trouba going the other way. I stayed out of it but it wasn't easy.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
All the chatter about Philly really does make too much sense. They have GM now that has made big trades involving futures who was hired by their former GM that loves making splash moves.

That said no team lets others poach their young talent unless it's worth their while. Teams would rather give up 1sts than young players ready to break out.

I think a more realistic ask, around the draft, would be Trouba for:

This year's 1st (assuming they dont get lucky in the lottery)

Next year's 1st

Some swap of mediocre picks and prospects to make both GMs happy.

That would be settling in desperation for the Jets. What are we going to do for a D corps while we wait for those picks to mature into players who can help us win with Buff, Wheeler, Little? Better add Scheifele to that list. The next 4 years probably covers his prime too.

You are talking strictly one season or rental value for Trouba. If we are going to get anything close to full value for him we have to assume the acquiring team has worked out a deal before the trade and that they pay accordingly.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I didn't realize Keith had that many years left on his contract. A trade would be a bad idea unless they ate some salary

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
That would be settling in desperation for the Jets. What are we going to do for a D corps while we wait for those picks to mature into players who can help us win with Buff, Wheeler, Little? Better add Scheifele to that list. The next 4 years probably covers his prime too.

You are talking strictly one season or rental value for Trouba. If we are going to get anything close to full value for him we have to assume the acquiring team has worked out a deal before the trade and that they pay accordingly.

Who better to do that than the Flyers? Obviously we dont want to trade him but if we do a couple first rounders is pretty big.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Who better to do that than the Flyers? Obviously we dont want to trade him but if we do a couple first rounders is pretty big.

It isn't the value necessarily. It is the delay between losing Trouba and seeing any return. If we are taking futures it has to be near ready prospects.

Reactions: Oilpeg

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If he doesn't want to sign here, aren't the Jets in the same boat as they are with Trouba (1 year away from UFA)?

Yup. And I expect he is going to want to get paid. He is 4 years older than Trouba and will be looking for that last big contract. Assuming both would sign 5x8, who would be the better signing, 29 YO Pietrangelo or 25 YO Trouba?

I was never sure whether it was speculation/rumour or reliably sourced but we did hear that Trouba was looking for 8 last summer. Maybe Whileee is right, there is a "very reasonable chance" of signing Trouba if Jets just put up the money.

Given the way Trouba has played this year - I believe his best ever so far - and the choice above, I would take Trouba. Besides his excellent D he is on pace for 41 pts this year and only 2-3 of those will be on the PP. That would put him near the top of the league in ES scoring.

Bite the bullet Chevy. Pay the man. Git er done!

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Trouba's camp either has a distinct difference of opinion of value from the team, or he's simply not willing to stay in Winnipeg without us over paying. His BS excuse about which side he plays on makes me think his reasoning is the latter.

Reactions: Robinson2187

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
It's been discussed so many times, but the problem with an overpay is that it reduces odds of being able to sign other key players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad