Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
He's regularly playing 2LHD on the #4 team in the league and holding his own there. Yeah, yeah he's carried by Buff. With Buff out he is paired with Myers. And still holding his own.

I'm not saying he is an ideal #4 Dman but he is certainly earning his 1.4 mil - and then some.
What's the sample size? Based on the charts I've seen, Chia without Buff has been a Ceci-esque disaster.

He might play the 2LD role, but he is not bringing us NHL level impact there even for what little money he is paid.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I don't think we will, or should be in the running for Stone at the TDL. There are other teams (ie: Dallas, Colorado come to mind) that'll likely overpay for Stone since he would actually fulfill a need for those teams. He would be a luxury from our POV as he plays our strongest/deepest position. In UFA id go after him if there are subsequent deals involving moving a Winger for a Top4RHD after Trouba's departure and there's no replacement returned in that trade

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What's the sample size? Based on the charts I've seen, Chia without Buff has been a Ceci-esque disaster.

He might play the 2LD role, but he is not bringing us NHL level impact there even for what little money he is paid.

Without Buff he is an adequate 3rd pair D. He has his warts, but so does every 3rd pair D in the NHL. It seems to me that you are not really adjusting your expectations down to a 1.4 mil level. Myers and Kuli are a little better but they are paid 4 & 3 times the money, respectively. They are not even close to 4 & 3 times as good. Kuli might be twice as good, but probably not. Myers is not.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I would not trade KC for a winger. Or anyone for a winger, really.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Without Buff he is an adequate 3rd pair D. He has his warts, but so does every 3rd pair D in the NHL. It seems to me that you are not really adjusting your expectations down to a 1.4 mil level. Myers and Kuli are a little better but they are paid 4 & 3 times the money, respectively. They are not even close to 4 & 3 times as good. Kuli might be twice as good, but probably not. Myers is not.
My expectations of every player who wears the Jets jersey is to perform at a NHL level. All things considered, Chiarot does not do that. He is decent in front and on the PK, but he basically sucks at anything else.

Then, do you want anything to do with him being paid 2+ for being a warrior who produces like a #6-7 offensively and is slow?

We need to get rid of him, Myers, AND Kuli. What we also need to do is give chances to other defensemen who might not play at a sub-NHL level. If we trade Trouba, we need all the help we can get, and there just aren't many options in-house. Niku, Poolman, and that is it for the very short-term.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Does anybody think Trouba+ Connor/Ehlers would fetch a top pairing dman ala Doughty?

That would be a dream sequence, to make the trade at the draft and then sign Stone in free agency a week later.

Would need to shed Perreault and Kulikov though.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
As long as they can affored that and good D I'm all for it.
Like this?

upload_2019-1-8_13-1-54.png

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Does anybody think Trouba+ Connor/Ehlers would fetch a top pairing dman ala Doughty?

That would be a dream sequence, to make the trade at the draft and then sign Stone in free agency a week later.

Jets almost certainly can't afford Doughty and Stone.

Also, I wouldn't give up that much to get Doughty, or any top D.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Ehlers is better than Connor but who the Jets move may have less to do with whose better and more to do with what the other team has to offer. For instance, if a team offered a top pairing D for Ehlers, or a young promising 2c. I doubt the Jets would insist that the other team takes Connor instead or no deal. The difference between the two is not great that you'd turn down the best offer.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My expectations of every player who wears the Jets jersey is to perform at a NHL level. All things considered, Chiarot does not do that. He is decent in front and on the PK, but he basically sucks at anything else.

Then, do you want anything to do with him being paid 2+ for being a warrior who produces like a #6-7 offensively and is slow?

We need to get rid of him, Myers, AND Kuli. What we also need to do is give chances to other defensemen who might not play at a sub-NHL level. If we trade Trouba, we need all the help we can get, and there just aren't many options in-house. Niku, Poolman, and that is it for the very short-term.

He isn't being paid 2+ and there is no reason to expect him to be. He produces very little offensively. He is not what I would call slow, although I wouldn't exactly call him fast either.

We aren't going to agree on Chiarot. He just isn't as bad as he is portrayed here and he is not paid much. He is better than Kris Russell who is being paid 4 mil and for 2 more years after this one. He is better than Stu ever was.

We need to get him out of the top 4, but we don't need to get rid of him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Need to shed Perreault and Kulikov (and Myers) without picking up those contracts. Need to shed a lot more to find 20 mil in cap space for those 2 players.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
He isn't being paid 2+ and there is no reason to expect him to be. He produces very little offensively. He is not what I would call slow, although I wouldn't exactly call him fast either.

We aren't going to agree on Chiarot. He just isn't as bad as he is portrayed here and he is not paid much. He is better than Kris Russell who is being paid 4 mil and for 2 more years after this one. He is better than Stu ever was.

We need to get him out of the top 4, but we don't need to get rid of him.
Just like there was not a reason to give him a raise to 1.4. Yet he's making that now.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Laine, Trouba and our 2019 1st for
Stone (re-signed), Chabot, White, Pageau, their 2019 1st.
No conditions on the 1st.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Just like there was not a reason to give him a raise to 1.4. Yet he's making that now.

:laugh: OK, you got me there. I thought 1.4 was too much at the time. My number was 1.2. I don't think Morrow should have gotten 1.0 either. 850k would have been a big raise for him. There are several others in the bottom tier who I think are getting a couple of 00k too much. They add up eventually.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Stone would be nice but he doesn't fill a need and we shorten our window by trading a younger winger with room to grow for him. Plus he likely wants a raise on his next deal. I see it as a lateral move that loses us yardage.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Laine, Trouba and our 2019 1st for
Stone (re-signed), Chabot, White, Pageau, their 2019 1st.
No conditions on the 1st.
if trouba walks that will be a travesty for Ottawa. also they dont have their 1st and are the worst team in the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad