Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I like this idea. I also wonder if the best way out of this might be to do a blockbuster like we did with Buffalo.

So, for example, Trouba + Ehlers+ prospect who will never make our team for, say, Ekblad + Borgstrom + 1st.

If Trouba said he'd sign with a different team, you could replace the pieces accordingly. Ex. Arizona: OEL + good Fwd prospect + 1st. (maybe Fla or Az add, maybe we do, this is just an outline of a basic structure).

As I've stated elsewhere, I would really rather just keep Ehlers and Trouba, but if we have to do something, the blockbuster might be the most effective way to recoup as much value as possible and maybe even land us further ahead than where we started.
I just don't see the Jets trading Ehlers. Very good player on a very good contract. Makes the Scheifele / Wheeler line hum...

Past 4 seasons, including dark days of 2015-2017...

55% CF
54% xGF
61% GF

Jake Barnes

Apr 25, 2018
Winnipeg
I just don't see the Jets trading Ehlers. Very good player on a very good contract. Makes the Scheifele / Wheeler line hum...

55% CF
54% xGF
61% GF

No doubt, I'd rather not trade him either. However, since we're deep on the wings, and a number of players are due for significant raises, we could use him as a trade chip that would allow us to land a big haul and gain some cap flexibility. I know you've done some great work on our salary cap situation, and, based on your projections (which I think are pretty spot on), it looks like we likely can keep Ehlers and stay below the cap. But, my thought process is that if we're gonna have to move Trouba, let's land a stud replacement (plus potentially high-end bonus pieces), not a maybe. Our time is now, so let's go for it. Plus, a deal like the one I proposed would set us for the present and future, which is kind of ideal IMO. In any event, I don't think it sets us back.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Xavier Ouellet on waivers

Very unlikely he makes to us without being claimed but if not Chevy has to claim him.

Career Rel Corsi%: +2.2%
Career Rel xGF%: +3.01%

Imo a huge upgrade on Morrow in that #6/7 D slot.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Can't see how the Bolts could afford Trouba's cap hit.

With Stralman. Girardi and Coburn coming off the books (11.2 mil) they are probably OK for next year. But Point needs a big raise.

The year after, Callahan comes off the books. But Sergachev and Vasilevskiy need raises. Unless we have Sergachev of course. :) Oh, and Carle's buyout is off the books then too.

I think it is that 2nd year that looked scary to Bolts fans. Serg out and Trouba in by that point could be pretty close to a wash.

It would be difficult, but it is going to be difficult for them anyway. It is close enough that I think you just put it in their lap to solve. They would need to take pretty much the same steps either way. I think they need to move one of Johnson, Palat or Killorn regardless. One way or another. That should be enough to relieve the pressure. Or if the cap rises enough, maybe they squeak through.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not sure about Ekblad, he's had some concussion history that I'd prefer to stay away from. Not that I'd be critical if that was the move, but he's not my first choice.

The last 3 years he's played 177 games. Trouba has played 143. One of Trouba's injuries was also a concussion.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

55% CF
54% xGF
61% GF

Don't disagree except that anyone can be traded and he should bring a helluva return. It is only something to consider if cap or roster building require it though - a last resort.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Would be a great trade for the Jets but Flyers fans would riot.

HF Boards Flyers fans would riot if you suggested it on the main boards right now. If it was announced as a done deal the same fans would probably love it.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Would be a great trade for the Jets but Flyers fans would riot.

Yeah Flyers fans are passionate about their team. But it's him or the 1st (maybe it's like Colorado's, lottery protected with an option of years).

And there isn't a Flyer fan who doesn't believe that Trouba would make their team better.

Sanheim is the perfect acquisition though. In terms of age. Solidifies the top 4 for years.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Xavier Ouellet on waivers

Very unlikely he makes to us without being claimed but if not Chevy has to claim him.

Career Rel Corsi%: +2.2%
Career Rel xGF%: +3.01%

Imo a huge upgrade on Morrow in that #6/7 D slot.

I like Ouellet, but I am not going to throw Morrow under the bus. He helped the team win a playoff series last year. Got a GWG to boot.

Ouellet doesn't have that playoff experience. If Niku plays well and Kulikov plays well, we will have Chiarot, Morrow, Poolman for depth. All with playoff experience last year. I think you'd like to add another defenseman but Ouellet does not tip the scales, just muddles the depth.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
HF Boards Flyers fans would riot if you suggested it on the main boards right now. If it was announced as a done deal the same fans would probably love it.
I think it depends on how aggressive the Flyers' ownership wants their management to be in terms of becoming a playoff team.

Trouba would give them a legitimate top-pairing RD who can play huge minutes. With Provorov, that solidies their back end for the foreseeable future.

Trouba also fits with their current core. Remember, they have > $21 million per year (more than 25% of their cap) tied up in three forwards aged 29+ (Giroux, Voracek, JVR). Couturier is also in his prime at 26. Those 4 players have 3 or more additional years on their contracts after this season, and I doubt that the Flyers are going to be patient and tear it down for a rebuild.

So, I think the question is whether the Flyers are ready to spend some of their future to strengthen the present. I think the answer is probably "yes". However, the fact of the matter is that the Flyers' biggest need is goaltending. They have a good prospect in Carter Hart, but he's a ways away from being a sure-fire answer in goal. So the Flyers might decide to use their prospects to acquire a goalie instead of a RD like Trouba. Alternatively, perhaps they would open up the vault and go after Bobrovsky as a UFA, though that might be a bit risky.

Having said that, the two top dogs with the Flyers right now are Clarke and Holmgren, and not surprisingly there are indications that they want the Flyers to play a more physical game. It's hard to find a top-pairing RD that plays a harder physical game defensively that Trouba, so he might be highly coveted by the Flyers top brass.

Another intriguing prospect from the Jets' perspective might be Phillipe Myers

Some options...

Sanheim + 1st
Sanheim + Frost
Myers + Frost
Myers + 1st + X

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think it depends on how aggressive the Flyers' ownership wants their management to be in terms of becoming a playoff team.

Trouba would give them a legitimate top-pairing RD who can play huge minutes. With Provorov, that solidies their back end for the foreseeable future.

Trouba also fits with their current core. Remember, they have > $21 million per year (more than 25% of their cap) tied up in three forwards aged 29+ (Giroux, Voracek, JVR). Couturier is also in his prime at 26. Those 4 players have 3 or more additional years on their contracts after this season, and I doubt that the Flyers are going to be patient and tear it down for a rebuild.

So, I think the question is whether the Flyers are ready to spend some of their future to strengthen the present. I think the answer is probably "yes". However, the fact of the matter is that the Flyers' biggest need is goaltending. They have a good prospect in Carter Hart, but he's a ways away from being a sure-fire answer in goal. So the Flyers might decide to use their prospects to acquire a goalie instead of a RD like Trouba. Alternatively, perhaps they would open up the vault and go after Bobrovsky as a UFA, though that might be a bit risky.

Having said that, the two top dogs with the Flyers right now are Clarke and Holmgren, and not surprisingly there are indications that they want the Flyers to play a more physical game. It's hard to find a top-pairing RD that plays a harder physical game defensively that Trouba, so he might be highly coveted by the Flyers top brass.

Some options...

Sanheim + 1st
Sanheim + Frost
Myers + Frost
Myers + 1st + X

I don’t imagine Clarke and Holmer are going to be patient that team isn’t that far off now and as you pointed out they need to strike while their old core are still productive. Fletcher has the gig but I doubt he can wait because he just saw Hexy get fired who seemed to do a good job of stocking the cupboards?? The message is pretty clear in my eyes......fix it now.

In some ways this summer might be too late the Flyers might go after a Big Bang soon. I can see them dealing for Payayko now and both teams need a shake up.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Some options...

Sanheim + 1st
Sanheim + Frost
Myers + Frost
Myers + 1st + X

Yup. I've been trying for 2 years to get some interest in a trade with Philly. Flyers fans insist that it doesn't matter if all their D are lefties and they don't want to trade any of them. Oh, and Trouba is a bum. They might give us Hagg, if they are in a good mood. He is probably off the table now that he has arrived in the NHL with some success. :laugh:

I like Sanheim + Myers myself. Sanheim can play the right side - and will - but he will be better on the left.

Trouba for Sanheim + looks to me like a trade that almost makes itself.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yup. I've been trying for 2 years to get some interest in a trade with Philly. Flyers fans insist that it doesn't matter if all their D are lefties and they don't want to trade any of them. Oh, and Trouba is a bum. They might give us Hagg, if they are in a good mood. He is probably off the table now that he has arrived in the NHL with some success. :laugh:

I like Sanheim + Myers myself. Sanheim can play the right side - and will - but he will be better on the left.

Trouba for Sanheim + looks to me like a trade that almost makes itself.
Perhaps.

If the Jets trade Trouba for a LD, it needs to be a player that can really carry a 2nd pairing, because the Jets will be weak on RD. In essence, they would be switching for a 2 RD / 1 LD top 3 (Trouba, Buff, Morrissey) for a 2 LD / 1 RD top 3 (Morrissey, Sanheim, Buff).

Meanwhile, I hate to mention it but Myers has quietly been turning his game / season around. He's now on the plus side in CF%, relCF% and relxGF%, despite having the worst quality of team-mates on the team, by a fair margin. He's been getting relatively soft competition and zone starts, but that's compensated by having to play with a very shaky Morrow and Kulikov early in the season. I have a hunch that the Jets like Myers, and the feeling is mutual, so if Trouba is traded for a very good young LD, I wouldn't be surprised if Myers is re-signed on a team-friendly deal. It's not what I would advocate, but brace yourselves. It could look something like this...

Morrissey-Buff
Sanheim-Myers
Niku-Poolman

By the way, Niku has had some real struggles so far at the NHL level. I hope the Jets let him develop his way through it at the NHL level because he's going to be important for next season. But I fear that Maurice will lose confidence and avoid using him when they get deeper into the season.

And... Samberg might really be a dark-horse for a 3rd pairing spot as early as next season. He'll have an extra year of experience compared to Trouba's rookie season at the same level of competition. He won't produce much offense, but he's a big, shut-down type that is very smart with the puck. I'm looking forward to watching him in the WJHC.

(edited Myers for Poolman)...

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Sanheim + Frost for Trouba would downright kill me and what little there is left of my heart, but can we really say no to that?

Sanheim probably doesn't ever get as good as Trouba is now, but a solid top 4 option for the now and maybe more in the future would be great. Frost has dominated OHL at will for over a year now and could be a huge name in the show.

The issue is, I am terrified of opening up that much cap room and not getting a RHD back. If that leads to us re-signing Myers, it would lessen the good impact of the trade by a long shot. That, however, is not up to anyone else than Chevy to figure out, and chances are he wouldn't do it regardless of what we do this year. Sanheim's ELC runs out this year, so that helps.

Probably doesn't work for the Flyers - you don't trade your Frosts in the cap world, and they even reached for him in the draft just 18 months ago - but I wonder if there is some other + that could be available on top of Sanheim.

That, or then we just overpay Trouba and enjoy. Still the #1 option, me thinks.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Perhaps.

If the Jets trade Trouba for a LD, it needs to be a player that can really carry a 2nd pairing, because the Jets will be weak on RD. In essence, they would be switching for a 2 RD / 1 LD top 3 (Trouba, Buff, Morrissey) for a 2 LD / 1 RD top 3 (Morrissey, Sanheim, Buff).

Meanwhile, I hate to mention it but Myers has quietly been turning his game / season around. He's now on the plus side in CF%, relCF% and relxGF%, despite having the worst quality of team-mates on the team, by a fair margin. He's been getting relatively soft competition and zone starts, but that's compensated by having to play with a very shaky Morrow and Kulikov early in the season. I have a hunch that the Jets like Myers, and the feeling is mutual, so if Trouba is traded for a very good young LD, I wouldn't be surprised if Myers is re-signed on a team-friendly deal. It's not what I would advocate, but brace yourselves. It could look something like this...

Morrissey-Buff
Sanheim-Myers
Niku-Poolman

By the way, Niku has had some real struggles so far at the NHL level. I hope the Jets let him develop his way through it at the NHL level because he's going to be important for next season. But I fear that Maurice will lose confidence and avoid using him when they get deeper into the season.

And... Samberg might really be a dark-horse for a 3rd pairing spot as early as next season. He'll have an extra year of experience compared to Trouba's rookie season at the same level of competition. He won't produce much offense, but he's a big, shut-down type that is very smart with the puck. I'm looking forward to watching him in the WJHC.

(edited Myers for Poolman)...

Yes, that switch from right to left is exactly the way it goes if we get a lefty for Trouba.

That's why I like Trouba for Sanheim + P Myers. He has top 4 potential. We could replace Myers with a better, younger Myers with more upside.

No need to hate mentioning that Myers is turning his season around. He has been a lot better recently. I think you overstate it a bit. He has had to play with Morrow but I don't think Kulikov was holding him back. The soft competition and zone starts help him a lot. He has always seemed to be particularly vulnerable to better competition. I've always liked him on the 3rd pair and hated him on the 2nd.

That said, I am fully braced for a Myers signing. I only hope they don't pay him too much but I think they probably will and for too long. Only 3 weeks until they can negotiate with Trouba. I won't be too surprised if we see a signing of either Trouba or Myers within the next month.

Niku has struggled a bit but he is improving, I think fairly quickly.

Samberg next year is very much a dark horse. Pretty sure he will need a year in the A, but you never know.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What about a deal that combines a salary dump and a rental?

Perreault and a pick for....?

What kind of rental is going to contribute more than Perreault? I don't see the TD as the time for us to pay to move out a cap dump if all you are trying to do is get rid of that contract. Perreault is on a 26 pt pace but he still contributes in other ways.

Reactions: Jack722

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
I really think the idea of Ekblad for Trouba is completely unrealistic. It doesn't make much sense for the Panthers.
It makes sense for panthers if they think Trouba is the better player that they can sign for less than 7.5 which an argument can be made for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad