Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
By my math the Wheeler signing screwed up our chances of signing Connor, Trouba and Laine. We'd have to move Little and he has a NMC. This assumes we can move Perrault and Kulikov and that we let Myers walk.

If Trouba leaves and we have to trade offence to shore up defence, why not go big. Trade Laine and target Seth Jones. Use the extra money saved from Trouba and Laine to sign an elite centre to carry the second line.

History favors the bold. That looks like a cup winning line up to me.

Elite centres rarely hit the market, and if they do, Winnipeg will be among many different suitors.

Trading Laine isn't even worth discussing.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I would think Chevy will be keeping a close eye on Matt Duchene of the Senators. He is a center, and only 27 years old. These would really solidify our 2nd line center position. Duchene was well up in the scoring race, but has not played for a couple games. His point per game average is top 10 type of production.

He is an unrestricted free agent, and the Ottawa owner looks like he's trying to dump big contracts like he did with Erik Karlson.

If the Jet's want to aquire a rental, and Ottawa would retain some salary--like was done in the Statsny deal, these could make sense for a Cup run. Ottawa doesn't look like they will make the playoffs, and if they have no intention of signing Duchene because of high contract demands --this could make a lot of sense ??

If a deal like this was done -- I would think it have to be only on a rental basis, as the Jet's could not afford to resign Duchene because of Cap issues.

Also if Ottawa has no intention of letting Duchene go, and are looking to resign him, then this obviously, would not be a makeable deal.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If the Jets don't have any real injury concerns at the trade deadline and don't find the value risk / reward type move that Stastny was then perhaps it's just two minor pieces?

A 5 / 6 D type to insulate against injuries (someone better than Morrow)
A middle 6 forward to make our 4th line more trusted / stable / deadly... whatever.

The things above don't cost first round picks or big prospects and could help to get us over the hump.

Going after a guy like Muzzin means we lose our first and something else of value to the organization.

I think Logan Shaw might be the 4th line F you are looking for. Rosie is not making it at C, at least not so far. He is better on the wing.

That leaves D. Muzzin would be a great pickup but the price will be steep. We'd get 2 years out of him, which helps justify the price. But I doubt we would keep him longer so still a rental of sorts.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Logan Shaw might be the 4th line F you are looking for. Rosie is not making it at C, at least not so far. He is better on the wing.

That leaves D. Muzzin would be a great pickup but the price will be steep. We'd get 2 years out of him, which helps justify the price. But I doubt we would keep him longer so still a rental of sorts.
Muzzin to me seems like the perfect rental for the Jets. Big upgrade at LHD to slot in behind Morrissey. But agree the cost would likely be steep. Not quite sure how steep and would it be too big a bite of our future?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Muzzin to me seems like the perfect rental for the Jets. Big upgrade at LHD to slot in behind Morrissey. But agree the cost would likely be steep. Not quite sure how steep and would it be too big a bite of our future?

I think it would probably be too high a price. That additional year makes it just possibly tolerable - and with that year there is always the possibility of extending, however faint.

If we have Muzzin and Trouba is gone, extending Muzzin might be a good way to bolster our D corps. Not paying Trouba would open up the cap space.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
What about going after someone young like Brodin? We have Ves to trade after all if he is a top 6 player but can't crack our top 6 that makes him valuable trading asset.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think it would probably be too high a price. That additional year makes it just possibly tolerable - and with that year there is always the possibility of extending, however faint.

If we have Muzzin and Trouba is gone, extending Muzzin might be a good way to bolster our D corps. Not paying Trouba would open up the cap space.
I think the Kings would also want a purely futures deal so almost guaranteed any deal will include our 2019 1st and a top prospect. Then probably an add on like Petan that a team can still hope for some upside.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think the Kings would also want a purely futures deal so almost guaranteed any deal will include our 2019 1st and a top prospect. Then probably an add on like Petan that a team can still hope for some upside.

Yeah, that's probably about right.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Canucks fan here.

What are you guys looking for in return for Trouba? We definitely need a young top pairing RHD. Would Olli Juolevi and a 2019 1st round pick (Around the 8-14 range) suffice? We could even throw in Stecher or Gudbranson to give you guys a fill-in RHD.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Canucks fan here.

What are you guys looking for in return for Trouba? We definitely need a young top pairing RHD. Would Olli Juolevi and a 2019 1st round pick (Around the 8-14 range) suffice? We could even throw in Stecher or Gudbranson to give you guys a fill-in RHD.
no

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Canucks fan here.

The thing with Trouba is we would have to get a top pairing D in return. Probably RHD, but a LHD who could play on the right might work.

And I doubt that'll happen. I think we would have to find a 3 (or more?) way trade to make everyone happy.

EDIT: I suspect if we don't sign him, he'll just walk in free agency.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
The thing with Trouba is we would have to get a top pairing D in return. Probably RHD, but a LHD who could play on the right might work.

And I doubt that'll happen. I think we would have to find a 3 (or more?) way trade to make everyone happy.

Fair enough. The closest thing we have to a top-pairing defense prospect is Hughes, and I don't think we can afford to give him up.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

EDIT: I suspect if we don't sign him, he'll just walk in free agency.
So then isn't it best to take the best that is being offered instead of holding onto him till he walks? Like a Top 8 draft pick and Chris Tanev?

GeorgeJETson

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
So then isn't it best to take the best that is being offered instead of holding onto him till he walks? Like a Top 8 draft pick and Chris Tanev?

Right now, the Jets are looking for a deep playoff run. It wouldn't make sense to lose one of our better D and leave a hole.

I think he'll be kept for the rest of this season, and maybe dealt this off-season if he doesn't sign. But he might also be kept as our own rental for the season after

Just my take on it. You may get different opinions from other posters.

GeorgeJETson

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
With regards to Trouba, I have wondered if he gets traded this off-season for the best offer, and then use those assets plus some of our own to get a replacement D. It'll be expensive I suspect, but might be the best of a bad situation.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Right now, the Jets are looking for a deep playoff run. It wouldn't make sense to lose one of our better D and leave a hole.

I think he'll be kept for the rest of this season, and maybe dealt this off-season if he doesn't sign. But he might also be kept as our own rental for the season after

Just my take on it. You may get different opinions from other posters.
That seems like an accurate take, like how Myers seems like he's being kept as a self rental.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I just feel we need a "ready now" dman coming back for Trouba. The org might feel differently :dunno:

Of course we 'need' a ready now Dman coming back. In fact we need a R/L pair of top 4 ready Dmen coming back. We aren't going to get that.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I just feel we need a "ready now" dman coming back for Trouba. The org might feel differently :dunno:
I think it depends on what you mean by ready now. A good young prospect on the verge of making the jump or a young D with a little NHL seasoning still being sheltered. Or a young D moving up the NHL depth chart.

I'd take a young prospect not ready with a high ceiling over a "ready now" if the ceiling was much lower.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Fair enough. The closest thing we have to a top-pairing defense prospect is Hughes, and I don't think we can afford to give him up.

I disagree with some others here. This is at least worth discussing. That 1st should be good. Juolevi is looking better and Stecher would be an upgrade on Poolman at 3RD when Myers is gone. Replace Stecher with Tanev and you've got a deal.

This is not ideal but it isn't far off. It might be the best offer we get. The fly in the ointment is that Van probably has no more success at signing Trouba than we've had.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I disagree with some others here. This is at least worth discussing. That 1st should be good. Juolevi is looking better and Stecher would be an upgrade on Poolman at 3RD when Myers is gone. Replace Stecher with Tanev and you've got a deal.

This is not ideal but it isn't far off. It might be the best offer we get. The fly in the ointment is that Van probably has no more success at signing Trouba than we've had.

What's the holdup in your team's case? Is it money or is it that he might prefer to sign with an American team or both?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Looking for higher end prospects, I suppose?
Hughes, pretty much. Quinn, that is.

Juolevi and your first are not bad futures, but they aren't helping us next year. Hughes probably would, to be honest. (nice one by Benning)

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Hughes, pretty much. Quinn, that is.

Juolevi and your first are not bad futures, but they aren't helping us next year. Hughes probably would, to be honest. (nice one by Benning)

If you have room on the left side, Juolevi really should be on a roster next season. It's just that we already have Hughes, and I don't believe it's feasible to have two rookies with similar skillsets (offensively gifted, but defensively suspect) playing on the same side next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad