Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I just hope he doesn't become Carlo... a player who eventually makes the NHL for being "much improved" but still sucks.

Either bust or make the NHL as a legit solid 3rd pair.

*cross fingers*

That has always been my biggest fear.....not that he would bust... but that he would get the 150 manditory games due to being 6’7” and a first round pick with political clout. That he would Get that PMo delusional Lemieux/Hendy/Stu imaginary “role player” free pass.

However i have relaxed on that a bit for now and am just going to let it play out.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Trouba for Sergachev seems doable now that Trouba looks elite again and McDonagh is playing well in Tampa. They already have their top 2LD spots filled.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
KVes is underrated as a key piece to the puzzle. Either he makes it easier to move Ehlers or Connor, or he's a great trade chip. I would bet that Carolina would give up a lot for Vesalainen.

Maybe in the offseason. But right niw they need to make the playoffs. Trading for a future asset is only a way to go if you are out of the race. I think if they trade Faulk, their defense levels out a bit, to the average side, but they can get the forward they need. I think Pesce being injured has left the Canes in a bit of a limbo. Rask is another player that by all accounts they are trying to trade. Neither player particularly helps the Jets.

I'd rather have Veselainen as a depth asset for a playoff run and a replacement for players lost or moved in the offseason.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Trouba for Sergachev seems doable now that Trouba looks elite again and McDonagh is playing well in Tampa. They already have their top 2LD spots filled.
Can't see how the Bolts could afford Trouba's cap hit.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I was wondering about a Trouba/ Nylander three way with the Canes to get one of their D, but nothing really made sense for Toronto to not just deal directly with Carolina. I'd rather keep Ehlers. I'm convinced that Trouba is the chip for replacing Trouba. Just might require extra trading.

The only way I see Trouba replacing Trouba is if the replacement is a future. We face a 2-3 year gap before that replacement is ready and probably even longer before his game develops to the Trouba level.

We still have Buff for 2 years and he isn't showing his age yet. But he is all we have on the right side. What we would need is a Myers replacement, a legitimate 2RD somehow coming in at the same time. That 2RD would need to be defensively strong enough to play on the 1st pair with Mo while Buff continues in his current role.

I think that is asking a lot for the return on Trouba. Not only in terms of value but also just in terms of finding a trading partner with the right pieces.

I think that there may be opportunity for an in-season deal that improves the return. The opportunity might exist with teams on the PO bubble on Black Friday. This is pretty speculative I know, but my thinking is that if a team thinks the deal could put them in to the POs instead of drafting 14-15 they might make a deal that is better for us. The catch is obvious. If it improves their chances how can it not reduce ours? At any rate, if such an opportunity existed it is drifting away as the season progresses and the chance for a team to make a difference gets dimmer.

The return on Trouba after the season is not going to be what we need, IMO. We probably need to draft his replacement. I just hope we can get a lesser but still decent RHD in the deal.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Maybe it comes down to how happy Florida is with Aaron Ekblad. He's signed for six more years at a $7.5 cap hit, perhaps they think that's too high for what he brings them (career high is only 39 points) and think Trouba would sign for less with them, which he might being that Florida is a rumored preference of his. I was thinking Ekblad was injury prone, but he's really not. Besides the concussion issues he had in 16-17, he's only missed 5 games over the other four seasons (including this year) he's played.

I can't really think of a reason the Panthers would want to move on from Ekblad though, but as far as Trouba replacements go, this the best I can think of.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I really think the idea of Ekblad for Trouba is completely unrealistic. It doesn't make much sense for the Panthers.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
KVes is underrated as a key piece to the puzzle. Either he makes it easier to move Ehlers or Connor, or he's a great trade chip. I would bet that Carolina would give up a lot for Vesalainen.

For quite a while now, I have been toying with the idea of trading Ehlers for D help. I really hate the idea in many ways. He is not just a very good winger but I think he influences outcomes beyond just his scoring. His speed disrupts other teams game plans. It throws them of balance, out of sync so that they are affected by it even when he is not on the ice. It also draws a lot of penalties. His friendship with Laine is probably a positive influence as well.

But we may be forced to part with either Ehlers or Connor and I would hate to lose Connor as well. Which one goes may depend on how they each perform between now and the time it has to happen. Contracts will also play a part. KC may well need more than Ehlers' 6 mil so that might make him the one to go.

Either way when/if it comes to that, KV is the apparent replacement. I don't see him as the one to go because, as the less known, less developed player he would bring a lesser return and because he will have 3 years ELC remaining. Not needing to be XD protected is another factor.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I really think the idea of Ekblad for Trouba is completely unrealistic. It doesn't make much sense for the Panthers.

The only way would be if we made a significant add to the deal. It would have to be enough to motivate them when they have no need of it otherwise. Maybe we make it a bigger deal with other pieces each way.

We might have to accept losing the deal in order to win the deal.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

TBL have serious cap problems - but otherwise they look likely. They are weak on the right side and overloaded on the left. All they have on the right are Girardi and Stralman who are both pending UFA's and unproven Cernak. Stralman and Girardi are both aging as well at 32 & 34. They have Cal Foote in the AHL but he probably isn't ready for a while.

With Trouba gone we are weakest on the right but also need help on the left. Getting a lefty wouldn't be ideal but getting a good one would be a valid plan B, IMO.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
The only way would be if we made a significant add to the deal. It would have to be enough to motivate them when they have no need of it otherwise. Maybe we make it a bigger deal with other pieces each way.

We might have to accept losing the deal in order to win the deal.

I don't know if we'd actually have to add. By the sounds of the Panthers board, they're not too thrilled with Ekblad. Of course that doesn't mean that management echoes those thoughts, but I'm not sure Ekblad is as unattainable as one would think. I think Ekblad would be the absolute perfect target, he'd slide into Trouba's spot pretty seamlessly, I'd think.

They also suggested Huberdeau as the basis for acquiring Trouba in one idea, I found that interesting. Jets have no need for Huberdeau, but it shows a want for Trouba though.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
For quite a while now, I have been toying with the idea of trading Ehlers for D help. I really hate the idea in many ways. He is not just a very good winger but I think he influences outcomes beyond just his scoring. His speed disrupts other teams game plans. It throws them of balance, out of sync so that they are affected by it even when he is not on the ice. It also draws a lot of penalties. His friendship with Laine is probably a positive influence as well.

But we may be forced to part with either Ehlers or Connor and I would hate to lose Connor as well. Which one goes may depend on how they each perform between now and the time it has to happen. Contracts will also play a part. KC may well need more than Ehlers' 6 mil so that might make him the one to go.

Either way when/if it comes to that, KV is the apparent replacement. I don't see him as the one to go because, as the less known, less developed player he would bring a lesser return and because he will have 3 years ELC remaining. Not needing to be XD protected is another factor.
I'd hate to lose Kc more. He is much more effective with Laine. I think ves fills in with SW easier.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I don't know if we'd actually have to add. By the sounds of the Panthers board, they're not too thrilled with Ekblad. Of course that doesn't mean that management echoes those thoughts, but I'm not sure Ekblad is as unattainable as one would think. I think Ekblad would be the absolute perfect target, he'd slide into Trouba's spot pretty seamlessly, I'd think.

They also suggested Huberdeau as the basis for acquiring Trouba in one idea, I found that interesting. Jets have no need for Huberdeau, but it shows a want for Trouba though.

Not sure about Ekblad, he's had some concussion history that I'd prefer to stay away from. Not that I'd be critical if that was the move, but he's not my first choice.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Not sure about Ekblad, he's had some concussion history that I'd prefer to stay away from. Not that I'd be critical if that was the move, but he's not my first choice.

His concussion issues were two seasons ago. Played all 82 last year and hasn't missed a game this year.

I get the concern though, it was mine as well until I looked it up.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
His concussion issues were two seasons ago. Played all 82 last year and hasn't missed a game this year.

I guess that's the power of a reputation because I didn't know he played a full 82 last year either.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

My concern with him is that he hasn't taken the step forward in development that one would expect. He has remained what I would consider a number 3 dmen that can play on the PP. He would fall fourth in ES impact behind Morrissey, Trouba and Buff imo. I personally dislike the contract as it will be hard to argue against Morrissey deserving more next time around.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
My concern with him is that he hasn't taken the step forward in development that one would expect. He has remained what I would consider a number 3 dmen that can play on the PP. He would fall fourth in ES impact behind Morrissey, Trouba and Buff imo. I personally dislike the contract as it will be hard to argue against Morrissey deserving more next time around.

I'm swapping out Trouba for Ekblad. Only works if Trouba wants out, this causes the least disruption to the roster. Deployment would be similar to Trouba's, 1RD with Morrissey and 2PP.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Lots of tasty pieces on the Flyers if Trouba has to be moved.

I think the majority of us believe he will be moved prior to the start of next season.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm swapping out Trouba for Ekblad. Only works if Trouba wants out, this causes the least disruption to the roster. Deployment would be similar to Trouba's, 1RD with Morrissey and 2PP.

Even if Ekblad is worse than Trouba, this may be the lesser of all the evils that trading Trouba would be.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Even if Ekblad is worse than Trouba, this may be the lesser of all the evils that trading Trouba would be.

Right?! At least he's established and has room for growth. A trade like that would not set the Jets back at all where trading for a prospect would, while we wait for them to develop.

The cap number should balance assuming Trouba's going to get that much anyway...doesn't hurt too much. If the cap continues to increase, which it will due to the inclusion of Seattle, we'd be in good shape.

Of course, given the choice, I'd rather just keep Trouba.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jake Barnes

Apr 25, 2018
Winnipeg
Right?! At least he's established and has room for growth. A trade like that would not set the Jets back at all where trading for a prospect would, while we wait for them to develop.

The cap number should balance assuming Trouba's going to get that much anyway...doesn't hurt too much. If the cap continues to increase, which it will due to the inclusion of Seattle, we'd be in good shape.

Of course, given the choice, I'd rather just keep Trouba.

I like this idea. I also wonder if the best way out of this might be to do a blockbuster like we did with Buffalo.

So, for example, Trouba + Ehlers+ prospect who will never make our team for, say, Ekblad + Borgstrom + 1st.

If Trouba said he'd sign with a different team, you could replace the pieces accordingly. Ex. Arizona: OEL + good Fwd prospect + 1st. (maybe Fla or Az add, maybe we do, this is just an outline of a basic structure).

As I've stated elsewhere, I would really rather just keep Ehlers and Trouba, but if we have to do something, the blockbuster might be the most effective way to recoup as much value as possible and maybe even land us further ahead than where we started.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

That's interesting. I've heard some hints of dissatisfaction with Ekblad before. That's been pretty scattered. There are a few fans unhappy with just about everyone, often because of excessive expectations not being met. Still, interesting.

Surprised they would suggest Huberdeau. He is having a career season so far. But I think Tallon would need a push to get him interested in a 1 for 1 of such similar players, one under contract long term, the other not. I'm thinking that maybe if we expand the deal we could get Pysyk added or Henrik Borgstrom. Maybe I'm just getting greedy.

Reactions: Oilpeg

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd hate to lose Kc more. He is much more effective with Laine. I think ves fills in with SW easier.

We've had this discussion before. Lets not do it again.

When and if the time comes is the time to make that assessment. Compulsory parts of the assessment include contracts and the relative returns. It just isn't as simple as who has been playing better with who the last couple of weeks.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Lots of tasty pieces on the Flyers if Trouba has to be moved.

I think the majority of us believe he will be moved prior to the start of next season.

I really could see a deal with the Flyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig