Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not necessarily. It completely depends on what Myers signs for. If he gets a raise, or even matches his current average, then yeah, you're probably right. However, if he signs somewhere near $3-$3.5, I don't think that pushes Trouba out the door.

The problem is with Schmidt resigning in Vegas and Ellis in Nashville, the number of quality D available is dwindling which raises the stock in Myers. The debate about Myers being a quality D notwithstanding, he stands to earn a good contract this summer if he hits the market based on reputation alone. I believe that the Jets could sign him cheaply, but they'd be the only team that could. If he hits the market, teams will bid against each other. He still holds value in the league, but I think he and the Jets understand the landscape in Winnipeg would require him to sign a smaller contract, and if he wants to stay, he'll do so.

Should they resign Myers? Completely different question.
Jets can't afford even $3.0-3.5 million for Myers, based on my analysis.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Jets can't afford even $3.0-3.5 million for Myers, based on my analysis.

Yeah, you're probably right. Went back and looked at my own analysis I'd done in the summer and realized I was over a 5% increased cap by $2.770 million.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
We may rag on Myers, but if Trouba walks Myers may be the best remaining option. Are you going to let both go and have only Buff on the right side?

We can't pay all the wingers we have. One or two must go for d and centre help. I have come to this conclusion and I can't find the cap room to pay Laine, Connor , Ehlers, Ves, Roslovic and Wheeler without having weak centre depth and brutal defense.

Reactions: JetBlue420

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We may rag on Myers, but if Trouba walks Myers may be the best remaining option. Are you going to let both go and have only Buff on the right side?

We can't pay all the wingers we have. One or two must go for d and centre help. I have come to this conclusion and I can't find the cap room to pay Laine, Connor , Ehlers, Ves, Roslovic and Wheeler without having weak centre depth and brutal defense.

Myers just doesn't solve the weak right side with Trouba gone. He just doesn't. Poolman is better defensively and Myers doesn't score much without PP time.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
What makes you think you want Trouba? I haven't seen his list of preferred places to sign but I be very surprised if Buffalo is on it. Buffalo is not his childhood home, is not a major market, it is not close to his girl friend and it is not a contender.

You might be right. I didn’t know much about his personal situation to be honest*.

But... money talks? Buffalo will have cap space and ownership doesn’t mind high Bills.

*=re-phrased

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You might be right. I didn’t know much about his personal situation to be honest*.

But... money talks? Buffalo will have cap space and ownership doesn’t mind high Bills.

*=re-phrased

The only reason he might be available is because he is angling for UFA. No one knows for certain why, but we speculate he wants to be near his GF in Fla, or in a major market, or possibly go home to Detroit. Or else it is just about money, but if that is the case he will go UFA and sign with the highest bidder.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The only reason he might be available is because he is angling for UFA. No one knows for certain why, but we speculate he wants to be near his GF in Fla, or in a major market, or possibly go home to Detroit. Or else it is just about money, but if that is the case he will go UFA and sign with the highest bidder.
But whether he leaves us or another team for UFA is the only thing Jets have some control over.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
If Myers gets an extension, it means that Trouba is gone after this season.
And for the time being, so are our hopes of contention in the immediate future.

I know people will call for my head - they have done so in the past regarding this subject - but there is no way we can win anything with two good defensemen, replacement level crap and possibly Niku/Poolman etc. learning on the job.

Overpayments are bad by definition, but Chevy needs to address this situation one way or another. If there is not a trade that can bring us another Trouba, pay the guy and say goodbye to a Copp or something. Trouba is the priority.

Reactions: BigZ65 and Jack722

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015

I know people will call for my head - they have done so in the past regarding this subject - but there is no way we can win anything with two good defensemen, replacement level crap and possibly Niku/Poolman etc. learning on the job.

Overpayments are bad by definition, but Chevy needs to address this situation one way or another. If there is not a trade that can bring us another Trouba, pay the guy and say goodbye to a Copp or something. Trouba is the priority.

I don't think it's an underpayment/overpayment issue. I think he just doesn't want to play here for his reasons. If I'm right, I think we should just get what we can for the guy, someone who's at least adequate.

Reactions: GNP

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

I agree with you. Our D corps is the shits. We're one long-term injury away from being in a real mess. The kind of mess that doesn't make the playoffs. Chevy really missed the boat by not grabbing a functional D or two this off-season, and massaging the cap a bit by dumping Kulikov and/or Myers.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I agree with you. Our D corps is the ****s. We're one long-term injury away from being in a real mess. The kind of mess that doesn't make the playoffs. Chevy really missed the boat by not grabbing a functional D or two this off-season, and massaging the cap a bit by dumping Kulikov and/or Myers.
Or two injury away from an improvement. Niku would be better than Morrow and Chariot.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

They might be able to survive Trouba leaving... that's a situation that can theoretically be dealt with. If Myers is re-signed however... I will declare the Jets window closed, that will handcuff the Jets both in terms of the overall look of our D and in the opportunity cost of his salary cap hit.

If Myers is resigned, it's lights out for the Jets as a cup contender.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
They might be able to survive Trouba leaving... that's a situation that can theoretically be dealt with. If Myers is re-signed however... I will declare the Jets window closed, that will handcuff the Jets both in terms of the overall look of our D and in the opportunity cost of his salary cap hit.

I'm not high on Myers, but that's a bit extreme.

Reactions: robertocarlos

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Just because you declare it, it doesn't make it true. No team is going to have 6 defenseman better than Myers, so it comes down to how much you re-sign him for and for how long and what type of role he plays. There are lots of options available for Chevy to upgrade the RHD in the likely scenario that Trouba wants to choose his landing spot as a UFA as early as he can. There is the return of Trouba himself likely a 1st round pick and prospect in and around the entry draft if Chevy knows he won't sign long term. And at some point Chevy will need to find a way to convert some of our depth at wing to a good young defenseman.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
What are the Jets current needs?
New coach?

Sorry cant help it.

Team just need to play together like last year.
Coach need to split 55 and 26.
If kulikov is not ready.
Left D, but Jets have Niku.

Center? Coach is just stubborn to use wingers and center correctly.

But in fantasy world like last year.

A 1st line center to slot in 2c

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
New coach?

Sorry cant help it.

Team just need to play together like last year.
Coach need to split 55 and 26.
If kulikov is not ready.
Left D, but Jets have Niku.

Center? Coach is just stubborn to use wingers and center correctly.

But in fantasy world like last year.

A 1st line center to slot in 2c

We need Hendricks back :nod:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm not high on Myers, but that's a bit extreme.

I think Myers has had a pretty good run of games lately. But clearly he thrives in sheltered minutes. We don't need to resign him though unless it's for $2m or less. I'm not convinced Poolman is the answer at 3RD either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad