Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Last one hit a thousand, so here goes another one.

Some posts to start with:

Hmmmm... A long extension would be nice.

Chevy and Overhardt could be talking about a Petan trade for all we know.

With all this talk about Trouba's contract over the last 3 years, wouldn't it be ironic if Trouba was to sign long term with the Jets, and then we lost Morrissey on a contract dispute. That would be a real mind blower, and it could happen.

Everybody thinks that Morrissey is a "given" to sign long term at a decent price, but you never really know ??

True, and so very very sad. Chevy has no one to blame for letting the situation develop to this but himself. I just hope that he doesn`t now grossly overpay to keep Trouba, with all the team salary structure problems that creates. He had an opportunity to put on his big boy pants and begin adjusting the D with a well considered Trouba trade when his market value was substantial ( long before the scheduled arbitration and public vetting of Trouba`s positioning) but he clung to his original plan instead in the belief that he could make it work. He may yet accomplish that - but "at what cost?"

Perhaps Chevy is getting some trade offers for January, and needs clarity on which teams Trouba would extend prior to the trade

The question is for those with knowledge of the Jet's cap situation is this ? If Trouba signs for big bucs--say $ 7,5 mil over 6 -7 years-- who's upcoming contracts will be affected by this ?

I would think Myers, Connor and Laine would be affected somehow ? I would guess if Trouba is signed, they lose Myers, or maybe someone like Connor. I would think someone will have to go ?

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
A meeting with Overhardt could mean almost anything.

Is it positive the lines of communication seem to still be open? Maybe, but only if the communication is actually positive (Thanks Captain Obvious).

Could it mean the start or continued negotiation regarding a long term deal? If so, why meet now? Can’t put a deal in place until the new calendar year. Wouldn’t need to meet face to face for that either.

Could he be asking for a trade on Trouba’s behalf? Maybe, but that timing would seem odd too. He has a deal for this year, and why would he want to leave a potential SC contender right now.

If it’s Chevy saying we like to sign him long term and Overhardt saying my client is open to it, then fine. See where that goes. Anything else and it’s likely not good for Trouba being here beyond this year with the Jets.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Both Copp and Petan need contracts too, this might have nothing to do with Trouba. Overhardt does have other clients.

Reactions: ps241

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Both Copp and Petan need contracts too, this might have nothing to do with Trouba. Overhardt does have other clients.
Maybe Copp, but I thought someone noted that Overhardt isn't Petan's agent. My guess is that Larry Simmons would manage most of the negotiations for a player like Copp, and I doubt that he'd make a trip to meet with Chevy in the middle of the season to discuss Copp.

I would think that this is a check-in with Overhardt to see if they can find any scope for agreement on Trouba.

Reactions: surixon and GNP

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Well, there are about a billion media/insiders in Winnipeg on the same day Overhardt is here.... Sets up to be interesting timing.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Dreger notes that it’s a long shot that the Jets would trade Trouba before the trade deadline as he’s too valuable to them in a Stanley Cup run, which is what they are focusing on this season.

“But look, a lot of what we do is focus on contract work around NHL players. You know Jacob Trouba is a restricted free agent at the end of this year. He can go through arbitration again, so the Winnipeg Jets would control his future for this season and potentially next so you’ve got Trouba, you’ve got Myers, you’ve got some other pieces that general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff is going to have to address.
What might fuel some speculation around Winnipeg is that his agent, Kurt Overhardt, is expected to meet with Cheveldayoff here in Winnipeg prior to Wednesday’s game against the Leafs, but he’s also meeting with Kyle Dubas of the Toronto Maple Leafs as well.”​

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Bob McKenzie on Trouba

“He’s playing lights-out right now. But if he’s not signed long-term to a deal this summer, I think the writing is on the wall. He’s going to be a year away from unrestricted free agency after this season. It is interesting – Kurt Overhardt, his Denver-based agent, is in Winnipeg for this game tonight, and no doubt will be talking to Kevin Cheveldayoff about Trouba’s future, but also other players he represents on the team like Andrew Copp and Nic Petan as well.
“But this is going to be the summer that defines whether Jacob Trouba is a long-term Jet, which a lot of people doubt is going to happen, or whether the Jets are better – a year before he’s unrestricted – to try and trade him and move on somewhere else.”​

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Unless Kurt Overhardt sees a reason to publically talk about it we will never hear anything. Sure as hell Chevy's not going to discuss what was discussed. We all know that.

True. The only thing I expect to hear is the sound of the door hitting Trouba's ass on the way out. :)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
@bumblebeeman
I'm just having some fun over on the trade boards right now. Islanders fans don't seem to like Roslovic + Vesailenen + Myers + 2nd for Leddy, but ok with 1st + Poolman for Leddy. Am I crazy or does that first deal hold wayyyyy more value?

*Meant for trade rumors thread​

Yes, the first package holds far more value. I wouldn't give that, but the 2nd deal? Take it and run.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
-42 Nick Leddy no thanks lol

My thoughts on Trouba is if he isn't signed when he can be signed. He will be traded at the draft, I also expect it to be a team in the east that is struggling but maybe thinks they shouldn't be struggling

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Roslo + Vesa + 2nd? Not a chance I would do that. To me that's nonsense.

Most would be a 1st + Petan + Kulikov.

Reactions: Snowman

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Leddy is older and the age has affected the quality of his play since I thought he’d be a great player to take from Chicago to fix Jets LHD issues. Back then the price was lower and the quality was higher. Now I’d say he’s not worth it.

But Leddy being -42 is exactly that “big minute player on a bad team always have the worst plus minus” issue that makes plus minus soooooo bad.

There’s a lot of NHLers who would have had a worse plus/minus if given the same minutes in those situations on that team.

Not saying he’s worth taking, because I don’t think he is, but I’d guess that last year Myers, for example, would have been even worse.

Reactions: DRW204

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
0 points and -4 through 8 games so far. Islander fans describe his play as "Meh". I don't think his worth is anywhere near our top prospects and a 1st. Is he even going to see PP time on this team? Probably not. Is his defensive play stalwart enough 5v5? He would likely be a partner for Buff going forward so that would be a good thing and he probably would benefit from less ice time.

If I know what Trouba is going to end up doing then I might be tempted to trade for him but I would offer nothing more then a 2nd and prospect like Petan.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
0 points and -4 through 8 games so far. Islander fans describe his play as "Meh". I don't think his worth is anywhere near our top prospects and a 1st. Is he even going to see PP time on this team? Probably not. Is his defensive play stalwart enough 5v5? He would likely be a partner for Buff going forward so that would be a good thing and he probably would benefit from less ice time.

If I know what Trouba is going to end up doing then I might be tempted to trade for him but I would offer nothing more then a 2nd and prospect like Petan.
Most d-men would look meh on the Islanders. They suck.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Most d-men would look meh on the Islanders. They suck.

Which is why I wouldn't overpay for a guy whom may or may not suck. He could come here and go back to his play when he was in Chicago which is where I thought he was at his best in that playoff run

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

The Jets would need to have them take back Kulikov as well I would think.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Leddy is older and the age has affected the quality of his play since I thought he’d be a great player to take from Chicago to fix Jets LHD issues. Back then the price was lower and the quality was higher. Now I’d say he’s not worth it.

But Leddy being -42 is exactly that “big minute player on a bad team always have the worst plus minus” issue that makes plus minus soooooo bad.

There’s a lot of NHLers who would have had a worse plus/minus if given the same minutes in those situations on that team.

Not saying he’s worth taking, because I don’t think he is, but I’d guess that last year Myers, for example, would have been even worse.

By older you mean 27? I guess I should ask older than what? Older than he was when he was with Chicago? Yes, of course.

Not only his +/- was bad last year but his shot metrics were off too. I think that is also mostly a reflection of the team. He still scored at his usual level. He should not be declining at 27.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
By older you mean 27? I guess I should ask older than what? Older than he was when he was with Chicago? Yes, of course.

Not only his +/- was bad last year but his shot metrics were off too. I think that is also mostly a reflection of the team. He still scored at his usual level. He should not be declining at 27.

Decline, on average, starts at 24.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Decline, on average, starts at 24.

For D men? Or has the idea they are different been debunked?

That may be when improvement levels off but then there is a plateau period, not an immediate decline.

Also, the avg numbers include all those players who just weren't all that good to begin with. I think the numbers are different for better players, no?

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Rather try get Hjalmarsson for cheap than pay those prices for Leddy. I think he would be a perfect partner for Buff. But that ship probably sailed when he was dealt to Arizona.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Rather try get Hjalmarsson for cheap than pay those prices for Leddy. I think he would be a perfect partner for Buff. But that ship probably sailed when he was dealt to Arizona.

Might not be out of the question. His age doesn't fit too well with the core they are building. He would have to have us on his trade list though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad