Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think it's an underpayment/overpayment issue. I think he just doesn't want to play here for his reasons. If I'm right, I think we should just get what we can for the guy, someone who's at least adequate.

I'm afraid you're right - but if it is about money, then we should pay the guy. To a point. A moderate overpay is one thing, going nuts is another. And don't forget that Morrissey is going to want at least as much as Trouba gets.

Reactions: Moon Man

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not high on Myers, but that's a bit extreme.

It is a bit extreme - but it points in that direction.

It will be a contract for too much and for too long. It will probably include at least some kind of trade protection. It won't spell the end of the Jets ability to contend but it will add to the difficulty.

With all the cap space we will be spending on wingers we won't have a lot of flexibility available to try and build the right side D. Buff will be aging out. We won't be drafting early. Little and Wheeler will also be getting big chunks of the cap and declining. We better hope for a helluva return on Trouba.

But a lot of that is not affected by signing Myers. That alone does not spell the end of contention for the Jets. It would be one more straw on the camel's back though.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'm afraid you're right - but if it is about money, then we should pay the guy. To a point. A moderate overpay is one thing, going nuts is another. And don't forget that Morrissey is going to want at least as much as Trouba gets.
And deserves more.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Just because you declare it, it doesn't make it true. No team is going to have 6 defenseman better than Myers, so it comes down to how much you re-sign him for and for how long and what type of role he plays. There are lots of options available for Chevy to upgrade the RHD in the likely scenario that Trouba wants to choose his landing spot as a UFA as early as he can. There is the return of Trouba himself likely a 1st round pick and prospect in and around the entry draft if Chevy knows he won't sign long term. And at some point Chevy will need to find a way to convert some of our depth at wing to a good young defenseman.

It bothers me that time keeps passing and Chevy keeps not exercising any of those options. It appears to me that he is going all in on 'win now'. Or at least that he might be. There isn't quite enough evidence yet, but everything he has done the last couple of years has that look. If he trades more valuable assets for rentals this year, I think we will know.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
New coach?

Sorry cant help it.

Team just need to play together like last year.
Coach need to split 55 and 26.
If kulikov is not ready.
Left D, but Jets have Niku.

Center? Coach is just stubborn to use wingers and center correctly.

But in fantasy world like last year.

A 1st line center to slot in 2c

We needed a 2C last year because Little just wasn't playing well. That is not the case this year. The production is not there yet but he has been playing very well. It will come.

I don't mind 1 of Chiarot or Morrow in the lineup regularly. I'm not happy with both. I don't even mind that 1 being at 2LD because Buff seems to carry them. But what is going on with Kulikov? Has he lost a step? Is he rotating in and out because he is no better than Chiarot or Morrow? Or is he still being eased in due to his back injury?

If Kuli isn't ready yet, I think it is time to give Niku a shot. If he isn't up to the job then our greatest need right now is a 2LD.

Reactions: PhilJets

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think Myers has had a pretty good run of games lately. But clearly he thrives in sheltered minutes. We don't need to resign him though unless it's for $2m or less. I'm not convinced Poolman is the answer at 3RD either.

I'm also not convinced that Poolman is the answer - but he is no worse than Myers.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yes, it certainly looks that way right now - although Trouba has been playing very well so far this year.

There are other contracts that could also be influenced by an overpay for Trouba.
Trouba has looked okay when I saw him. Mo looks a completely different level. Mo is chipping in offensively. He is better defensively.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Trouba has looked okay when I saw him. Mo looks a completely different level. Mo is chipping in offensively. He is better defensively.

If Mo keeps getting PP TOI he will outscore Trouba. If he has scoring to go with his defense he will be expensive.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
What does that mean? When you saw him?
Morrissey is having a great season but Teouba is also playing at a A- level
Comparing the two and saying that they have been roughly equal, is mind boggling. Mo has been that much better.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Based on what? I think it certainly remains to be seen who is worse than whom.

The stats I have seen showed Poolman more effective defensively than Myers. Myers is better offensively. But not by all that much, without his PP production.

Poolman looked a little shaky much of the time last year. That's why I'm not sold on him as a long term solution. But that was his rookie NHL year. I expect better from him with a little more experience.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
5v5 stats this year say that Trouba is better. I feel it's more of a splitting hairs thing.
The eye-test says differently. I have seen Tuba a lot more flat footed on goals than Mo. For instance, against Edmonton when they had that comeback McDavid's first goal happened because Tuba got caught flat footed instead of playing the angles or in my eyes even skating.
How about their penalty killing statistics?

Last edited:

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
I haven't read much of this thread so apologies if I'm beating a dead horse.

Would Slater Koekkoek be a good fit behind Jomo? Just seen him play a couple games and he looks good. Good size, character, and still only 24. Maybe he's expendable in TB considering their plethora of dmen.

And/or, Codi Ceci may become available.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I haven't read much of this thread so apologies if I'm beating a dead horse.

Would Slater Koekkoek be a good fit behind Jomo? Just seen him play a couple games and he looks good. Good size, character, and still only 24. Maybe he's expendable in TB considering their plethora of dmen.

And/or, Codi Ceci may become available.

I think Koekkoek would be an upgrade on Chiapet and Morrow, but he is 3rd pair level. If Buff can make those 2 look relatively good maybe he could make Koekkoek look better but he wouldn't be 'the answer', IMO.

Ceci was seriously bad last year and not that great earlier. I would stay away from him.

Edit: Just guessing but I think TBL may be counting on him to replace one of their more expensive D men.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Yeah they could be leaning on him for some cap relief. Just seems like he would fit well with the team.

The entire Sens team was a ****show last year so I'll cut Ceci some slack.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I wonder how much Duchenes value got hit after talking some serious smack about one of his coaches. Wonder if there’s a possible trade to be made for him...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah they could be leaning on him for some cap relief. Just seems like he would fit well with the team.

The entire Sens team was a ****show last year so I'll cut Ceci some slack.

That's true - but he was really bad. I don't think he was all that good the couple of years before either.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I wonder how much Duchenes value got hit after talking some serious smack about one of his coaches. Wonder if there’s a possible trade to be made for him...
Why would the Jets want a guy with a terrible attitude? Let another team overpay for him...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad