Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think it's almost a consensus that we have to dump Kulikov's salary for next year.

Should we try to do it this year to strengthen our potential playoff roster?

If we could target a UFA like Alexander Edler, who has playoff and Stanley Cup experience, for a player like Kulikov, with an extra year on his contract, to insulate Juolevi's development, with a caveat like Petan, who is in Josh Leivo limbo, and would get a long of playing time, especially PP time, from his former coach. Maybe throw in a 6th Rd pick as well. Lemieux's 13th forward position can be replaced by Dano, so that he can play regularly on the Moose.
Petan just got passed by another player, Appleton. Soon it is going to be Veselainen and Suess. So he's a sacrificial asset for a capable 20 minute per night, hard hitting defenseman, the defenseman we hoped to get in Kulikov, and management takes care of an offseason problem in season. Bolsters defensive depth.

i doubt a package of Kulikov/Petan/6th is an attractive enough package for VAN. I wouldn't mind Edler though.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
This is a horrendous take... why the **** are we giving Seattle 3 players and our 1st in an expansion draft? This is even worse than your suggestion that Tanev is a 1st line player.

Could not agree with you more.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
In two more seasons after this one it's entirely possible that Lowry will be less than he is now and a guy like Appleton will have considerably more value, on the ice and in the budget, making him the keeper (barring loyalty issues or other misplaced preferences).
Maybe, but you'll have a hard time convincing me that Lowry isn't an extremely valuable player on the Jets at this point in time.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd much rather Vegas share in the profits and lose a player.

Yeah. It will be 5 years between XD's. Vegas is competitive. No need to coddle them. The financial effect on the other teams is small. 650/30 = 21.666 - 650/31 = 20.968. It costs each team <700k.

Just a thought. I wonder which way LV would go if given the choice? They might prefer to lose a player and get the money too. :laugh:

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah. It will be 5 years between XD's. Vegas is competitive. No need to coddle them. The financial effect on the other teams is small. 650/30 = 21.666 - 650/31 = 20.968. It costs each team <1 mil.

Just a thought. I wonder which way LV would go if given the choice? They might prefer to lose a player and get the money too. :laugh:

I have a feeling the option will be given to them. Though it shouldn't. By then they will have kids in the NHL.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
i doubt a package of Kulikov/Petan/6th is an attractive enough package for VAN. I wouldn't mind Edler though.

Edler is 32. That is not a death sentence - but he is not the player he used to be. He would not be an upgrade on any of our D men. Rather just keep Kulikov.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Yeah, it would. Winnipeg doesn't have the need it had then with Bryan Little rebounding. Meanwhile Brassard is not having a great season so far.

Agreed

This year the only upgrade/fit for Brassard is on our 4th line (he can’t play a checking 3rd line role) and C depth in case of injury. Might take him if we can’t find a D upgrade but would only offer minor pieces for him.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Meh. Blogger loses credibility when he mentions the Jets looking to upgrade 2C and trying to imply Brassard is an option. Brassard isn't better than Little.

Mattaa would be interesting, but I'm concerned with his skating.

Agreed

Plus Maatta skating and his term length.....with Niku, Samberg and Stanley all developing nicely do we want a long term investment in Maatta especially if his play dips a little then we’re stuck with that term. I’m not saying no, just saying he isn’t great and his term is long....I’m saying I would proceed with caution.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Yeah. It will be 5 years between XD's. Vegas is competitive. No need to coddle them. The financial effect on the other teams is small. 650/30 = 21.666 - 650/31 = 20.968. It costs each team <1 mil.

4 years, but yeah. They are already competitive and even if they weren't, there are a shit load of non-competitive teams in the league that are being forced to lose two players to the expansion teams, and Vegas doesn't even have to give up one. f*** Vegas, f*** the NHL. Honestly, I'm hoping for a lockout after next year that lasts a decade and Seattle just gives up and decides to join the KHL or something.

:soap:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
4 years, but yeah. They are already competitive and even if they weren't, there are a **** load of non-competitive teams in the league that are being forced to lose two players to the expansion teams, and Vegas doesn't even have to give up one. **** Vegas, **** the NHL. Honestly, I'm hoping for a lockout after next year that lasts a decade and Seattle just gives up and decides to join the KHL or something.

:soap:
Haha seattle in the KHL. Can you imagine the logistical nightmare.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Yeah, it would. Winnipeg doesn't have the need it had then with Bryan Little rebounding. Meanwhile Brassard is not having a great season so far.
Yep, I had the idea that Brassard was younger, but basically same age. Little over his career has more points and goals per game, and is 2% better in faceoffs. Brassard is a UFA after this season. Really not much to like with Brassard right now, unless we can get him for very little.

Maatta on the other hand seems to be on the downswing in terms of desirability, and I haven't checked all his defensive stats, but as an experienced LHD, he would still be a massive step up in our top 4 when compared to Chiarot. Don't know who on Wpg's roster they might covet (and be able to afford), but we need veteran help at LHD for sure.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Yep, I had the idea that Brassard was younger, but basically same age. Little over his career has more points and goals per game, and is 2% better in faceoffs. Brassard is a UFA after this season. Really not much to like with Brassard right now, unless we can get him for very little.

Maatta on the other hand seems to be on the downswing in terms of desirability, and I haven't checked all his defensive stats, but as an experienced LHD, he would still be a massive step up in our top 4 when compared to Chiarot. Don't know who on Wpg's roster they might covet (and be able to afford), but we need veteran help at LHD for sure.

I've never been a Maata fan. He just makes too many mistakes defensively. I mean if we are taking him for Kulikov and Brendan Lemieux perhaps. Maybe our coaching can straighten out his defensive game. But with this term and struggles in his own end, i am not sure.

Brassard is a player we targeted before, not a bad player for the playoffs. But is there a need for him, and where? If Rosie and Apples are going with Perreault, let them keep growing. I mean Perreault-Brassard-Roslovic might be a true 3rd line. What's the trade though?

Maata and Brasaard for Myers, Lemieux, and 2nd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad