Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
:thumbd:

You are down on Ehlers because he is slumping but you want Pearson who has 1 pt, an A in 10 games. Martinez has fallen into the grand canyon. Just bad.

Maybe you get them cheap then, reuniting Pearson with his bud Schief might wake him up and Martinez is better than half the Jets current D corp, you also unload Ehlers ridiculous contract!

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
As of today I would trade Kulikov to Florida or Philadelphia with $1-1.5 million retention on each year (instead of buyout) for a 7th Rd pick.

I think if you are Maurice you play your top 4 d together. Morrissey-Trouba, Myers-Buff. Myers-Buff being big men, box out as good as any, so they don't give up a lot of goals, they may give up chances, as both are agreessive. But they are our top 4. I can live with Chiarot-Poolman as 10-12 minute pairing. Or Niku-Poolman. Morrow as a reserve. The less we stress 6 d over 4 I think the easier it gets to role four lines.

Morrissey-Trouba with

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
and
Copp-Tanev-Lowry

Then

Myers-Buff with

Perreault-Little-Laine

Connor-Roslovic-Vesalainen/Lemieux

I'd call up the kid for a trip to Finland.

Throw in the 3rd pair here and there, mostly in their end/neutral zone.

And role with it. Give Suess a spot to earn, as he and Veselainen develop some chemistry. Connor-Suess-Roslovic would be an aggressive line. Spread the scoring around and sooner or later you burn a 3rd pairing.

I'd still consider Petan for Markus Granlund too. A veteran Finn who kills penalties very well, where we should be resting Wheeler, to get more points out of him.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
No... just wishful thinking. But seriously wonder if Chevy is looking to tinker/ fine-tune.

All good I probably over value Provorov but I see him as a young franchise defensman.

Chevy will need to figure out the future of our RH defense if he can’t extend Trouba. Myers is not an option IMO so there is work to do.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
All good I probably over value Provorov but I see him as a young franchise defensman.

Chevy will need to figure out the future of our RH defense if he can’t extend Trouba. Myers is not an option IMO so there is work to do.
Provorov costs you'd as much as we would want for Morrissey. Young franchise defenseman don't move very often, especially while still on their ELC's. Agreed that if we are forced to move Trouba a RHD becomes a big priority.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Wonder if Chevy would ever do a surprise trade of a core player.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Maybe you get them cheap then, reuniting Pearson with his bud Schief might wake him up and Martinez is better than half the Jets current D corp, you also unload Ehlers ridiculous contract!

Come on Sip. You know that players have slumps. Ehlers has been playing very well lately. They are going to go in. That "ridiculous contract" is ridiculously team friendly.

Pearson might wake up and bounce back - or not. Martinez is worse than Chiarot or Morrow.

Reactions: Snowman

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
As of today I would trade Kulikov to Florida or Philadelphia with $1-1.5 million retention on each year (instead of buyout) for a 7th Rd pick.

I think if you are Maurice you play your top 4 d together. Morrissey-Trouba, Myers-Buff. Myers-Buff being big men, box out as good as any, so they don't give up a lot of goals, they may give up chances, as both are agreessive. But they are our top 4. I can live with Chiarot-Poolman as 10-12 minute pairing. Or Niku-Poolman. Morrow as a reserve. The less we stress 6 d over 4 I think the easier it gets to role four lines.

Morrissey-Trouba with

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
and
Copp-Tanev-Lowry

Then

Myers-Buff with

Perreault-Little-Laine

And role with it. Give Suess a spot to earn, as he and Veselainen develop some chemistry. Connor-Suess-Roslovic would be an aggressive line. Spread the scoring around and sooner or later you burn a 3rd pairing.

I'd still consider Petan for Markus Granlund too. A veteran Finn who kills penalties very well, where we should be resting Wheeler, to get more points out of him.

Myers is barely in our top 6, much less top 4 - and certainly not playing his off side. That was tried in TC and he was dreadful.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Morrissey-Trouba with

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
and
Copp-Tanev-Lowry

Then

Myers-Buff with

Perreault-Little-Laine

Kulikov’s contract isn’t an issue at the moment and this just makes us see more of Chiarot and Morrow and that makes us worst. Not to mention you’re selling low on Kuli when perhaps in the off-season after he has hopefully proven to be healthy, we can get a decent return.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Kulikov’s contract isn’t an issue at the moment and this just makes us see more of Chiarot and Morrow and that makes us worst. Not to mention you’re selling low on Kuli when perhaps in the off-season after he has hopefully proven to be healthy, we can get a decent return.

I don't know why he isn't playing more. Is he still not 100%? If fit and playing ahead of Chiarot and Morrow he should be worth something. But we would still have to retain 1.5-2 mil because he was always overpaid by that much.

At least for this year, he is worth keeping for depth unless we fall out of the race.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I don't know why he isn't playing more. Is he still not 100%? If fit and playing ahead of Chiarot and Morrow he should be worth something. But we would still have to retain 1.5-2 mil because he was always overpaid by that much.

At least for this year, he is worth keeping for depth unless we fall out of the race.

He looks to not be up to speed yet. That’s my guess. But that’s still better than Chiarot so idk. Mo has a Chia hard on.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He looks to not be up to speed yet. That’s my guess. But that’s still better than Chiarot so idk. Mo has a Chia hard on.

Haven't looked at any Corsi numbers but by my eye Chia has played well. Going to the right places and doing the right things.

Reactions: Oilpeg

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I agree. I've actually liked Chiarot. He doesn't make any more mistakes than anyone else, but for some reason they're magnified because of who he is. Dunno man...I think he's been just fine.
Buff makes the game very easy for Chiarot, especially in his own zone. But he doesn't augment Buff the way Enstrom and other good D do. I'm not sure if the Jets have a good D for a Buff partner in the system. I don't want a 2nd D pair with Buff to be adequate, I want it to dominate a lot of the time.

Reactions: Mathil8

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My main issue has been where the team is struggling. Zone exits. And I think Chiarot has been mostly terrible. Of course that may be skewing my view of him overall a bit.

Didn't notice him being that bad there either. Haven't concentrated on that in particular but I did notice him make a couple of good passes to get out. I'll have to make a point of watching for exits in the future.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Buff makes the game very easy for Chiarot, especially in his own zone. But he doesn't augment Buff the way Enstrom and other good D do. I'm not sure if the Jets have a good D for a Buff partner in the system. I don't want a 2nd D pair with Buff to be adequate, I want it to dominate a lot of the time.

Samberg could become that. I don't see Niku there. Sami's strength is offence. He shouldn't be paired with a rover.

Reactions: Whileee

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Samberg could become that. I don't see Niku there. Sami's strength is offence. He shouldn't be paired with a rover.
Yeah, without throwing unrealistic expectations at Niku I see him as Karlsson-lite. I don't think he has the same ceiling (would love to be wrong here) but I think he's going to be much more of an offensive guy than a shut-down guy. Samberg is still pretty far out IMO, especially with the way the Jets season their D on the Moose (which I approve of). I think he'll be a fine defensive D-man, perhaps even an excellent shut down guy but I don't see him as a regular until probably season after next at the earliest.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I'd rather have Chiarot over Kulikov, especially as Kulikov's contract hinders us going forward. He hasn't established himself as a solid #5, and I am not sure he is going to. I mean his contract is better than Karl Alzner's, but it won't be easy to move. I'd rather see a true top 4 with Myers/Buff (if we could trade Myers + prospects/picks for Leddy I'd be happy with that) and a bottom pairing that Chiarot plays on, and Morrow/Niku back up. I don't think Kulikov makes us better, in any way, at least I haven't seen any sign yet.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I'd rather have Chiarot over Kulikov, especially as Kulikov's contract hinders us going forward. He hasn't established himself as a solid #5, and I am not sure he is going to. I mean his contract is better than Karl Alzner's, but it won't be easy to move. I'd rather see a true top 4 with Myers/Buff (if we could trade Myers + prospects/picks for Leddy I'd be happy with that) and a bottom pairing that Chiarot plays on, and Morrow/Niku back up. I don't think Kulikov makes us better, in any way, at least I haven't seen any sign yet.

I respectfully disagree as Chiarot hasn’t proven anymore than Kulikov this year and has a history that speaks for itself. That said, not sure Kuli finishes his contract out with us and Mo obviously like Chiarot for better or worse.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Haven't looked at any Corsi numbers but by my eye Chia has played well. Going to the right places and doing the right things.

He is dead last among dmen on the team at a 44.8 and a negative rel CF of 6.9 (worst on the team). He once again is getting pretty fortunate with his point production but his all around play is still awful despite playing the majority of the time with Buff who is over a 52 CF%. The sooner we can find an upgrade the better as he is getting crushed.

Reactions: Duke749 and Saidin

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He is dead last among dmen on the team at a 44.8 and a negative rel CF of 6.9 (worst on the team). He once again is getting pretty fortunate with his point production but his all around play is still awful despite playing the majority of the time with Buff who is over a 52 CF%. The sooner we can find an upgrade the better as he is getting crushed.

Won't argue - but I still can't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad