Rumour: Toronto to host 2017 all-star game and an outdoor game at Rogers Centre

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
In order of who I want to see the Leafs play at the WC. Habs being the most wanted.

Habs
Kings
Red Wings
Hawks
Bruins

No, why kings? Why? Barely any history compared to others, and they are already over exposed.

For me I want division rivals or teams with deep history.

In no order

Habs
Sens (would be great exposure for them)
Red wings
Sabres
Boston
Jets (would be cool)

I'm sure there are a few others I wouldn't mind but no teams who have had it a bunch of times. I want original 6 or division rivals.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Habs and Leafs go back a hundred years, makes a lot more sense for them to play each other.

Because its Toronto's centennial anniversary. 100 years is a big deal and the Habs got it in 09 for theirs, plus the draft.

I think they make it a Winter Classic given Torontos high profile and the fact that its their 100 year anniversary. The matchup is one of the best.

You aren't looking at it from a business perspective.

Tell me if you think NBC will be fine with a Montreal/Toronto Winter Classic. Hint - they won't. They need an American opponent or else it will be turned into a Heritage Classic.

PredragD

May 5, 2011
Are the Leafs getting the WC or another outdoor game such as the Heritage Classic?

I can't really see the NHL (or really NBC) allowing two canadian teams play in the WC.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Are the Leafs getting the WC or another outdoor game such as the Heritage Classic?

I can't really see the NHL (or really NBC) allowing two canadian teams play in the WC.

They won't. That's what I've been trying to say.

If the Leafs want to go ahead and play Montreal, fine. But it will be a Heritage Classic not a Winter Classic.

FoSotC

Aug 16, 2010
I can see the logic behind NBC being wary of an all-Canadian Winter Classic matchup, but you'd think they'd be willing to test the waters at least once, while making an exception for a special occasion such as this.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
I can see the logic behind NBC being wary of an all-Canadian Winter Classic matchup, but you'd think they'd be willing to test the waters at least once, while making an exception for a special occasion such as this.

Always a possibility. But their viewership is already going down, this years WC was the worst for ratings.

They might not want to risk it with two CDN teams.

Bluejaysfan*

You aren't looking at it from a business perspective.

Tell me if you think NBC will be fine with a Montreal/Toronto Winter Classic. Hint - they won't. They need an American opponent or else it will be turned into a Heritage Classic.

There are more people in America that care about the Habs than they do about the Sabres. Habs are a marquee franchise like the Celtics, Lakers, Yankees, Cowboys, etc... Having Canadian teams doesn't matter for ratings, the Leafs and Habs have more followers in the U.S than most U.S based teams. I'd personally be disappointed if it were the Sabres. If it had to be a U.S team, make if an O6 member or a team like the Kings.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
There are more people in America that care about the Habs than they do about the Sabres. Habs are a marquee franchise like the Celtics, Lakers, Yankees, Cowboys, etc... Having Canadian teams doesn't matter for ratings, the Leafs and Habs have more followers in the U.S than most U.S based teams. I'd personally be disappointed if it were the Sabres. If it had to be a U.S team, make if an O6 member or a team like the Kings.

You cannot compare the Habs to the Lakers and Yankees, you just can't. ESPECIALLY in America.

And having Canadian teams does matter for ratings. Thats why you haven't seen it yet, and likely never will.

The Leafs and Habs do not have more followers in the US than most US based teams. This isn't the mid-20th century anymore with the Original Six.

Last edited:

His Beardliness*

Habs against a rebuilding tire fire Leafs team. Great way to make no one in the US care. Should NBC even bother showing it?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
No, why kings? Why? Barely any history compared to others, and they are already over exposed.

Well theres this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqGFFEc6Bng :laugh:

Always a possibility. But their viewership is already going down, this years WC was the worst for ratings.

They might not want to risk it with two CDN teams.

This years was low because of two teams that arent even close to rivals. It changes a ton when you include one of the leagues longest rivalries and one of the best in sports. The rivalry is as old as the league.

Its worth the risk.

Countryjunkie

Oct 17, 2014
If the Leafs do get to host the Winter Classic, they shouldn't be playing the Habs. To celebrate Canada's 150th Birthday, the game should feature the Toronto Maple Leafs vs Ottawa Senators. Hopefully the battle of Ontario will be back in full swing by then. :yo:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I mentioned this on the Leaf forum. This is my proposal, the NHL/IIHF come together and make a deal where January 1st, 2017 becomes one big event for both the WJHC and the Winter Classic at the Rogers Centre. Have Canada vs. USA during the day and then have Leafs-Habs at night.

Put the Dome lights on, have the big screen on, with the CN Tower lit up, it would be a great spectacle.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Like with Montreal, Toronto will get EVERYTHING. Draft, All-Star, Outdoor game. None of that is very surprising.

The Habs in another Heritage Classic (assuming its not the Winter Classic)? That would be, what, 60% of all Heritage Classics? Let them play the Sens.

You cannot compare the Habs to the Lakers and Yankees, you just can't. ESPECIALLY in America.

And having Canadian teams does matter for ratings. Thats why you haven't seen it yet, and likely never will.

The Leafs and Habs do not have more followers in the US than most US based teams. This isn't the mid-20th century anymore with the Original Six.

Compare the Habs to the Lakers or Yankees? you can.

I can't speak to Canadian teams popularity in the states with any authority, but neither can you. You probably need a big market American team for American audiences, but that's true for smaller US market teams. It's why the US O6, Pittsburgh and Philly are constantly in the WC. And the both the Habs and Leafs, when icing not terrible teams, draw eyeballs everywhere.

Last edited:

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Like with Montreal, Toronto will get EVERYTHING. Draft, All-Star, Outdoor game. None of that is very surprising.

The Habs in another Heritage Classic (assuming its not the Winter Classic)? That would be, what, 60% of all Heritage Classics? Let them play the Sens.

Yeah I think we will get it all.

Now to have a team who does not embarrass the organisation by collapsing that year, well that is a completely different thing.

Hopefully we rebuild the team now and remove the core. But I am afraid the management will yet again try to put lipstick on the pig and try to make it fly.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Normally I would be 100% behind the notion that NBC would never allow two Canadian teams playing in the Winter Classic; however, with all the Stadium Series match ups in the U.S. I think they'd be alright with a Montreal vs. Toronto match up.

There's also quite a few Montreal fans in the U.S. Not sure how many Leaf fans south of the border though.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013

Especially considering the sheer size of these two absolutely enormous fan bases. If anyone can possibly pull it off, it's Toronto and Montreal.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I mentioned this on the Leaf forum. This is my proposal, the NHL/IIHF come together and make a deal where January 1st, 2017 becomes one big event for both the WJHC and the Winter Classic at the Rogers Centre. Have Canada vs. USA during the day and then have Leafs-Habs at night.

Put the Dome lights on, have the big screen on, with the CN Tower lit up, it would be a great spectacle.

That would unreal. IIHF would probably be its greedy self and ask for CAN-USA at night but hey all day hockey outdoors and in my city, I'm all for it.

Normally I would be 100% behind the notion that NBC would never allow two Canadian teams playing in the Winter Classic; however, with all the Stadium Series match ups in the U.S. I think they'd be alright with a Montreal vs. Toronto match up.

There's also quite a few Montreal fans in the U.S. Not sure how many Leaf fans south of the border though.

Theres a ******** of Snowbird TML fans in the American south, especially Florida. Seriously, tune in to Panthers-Leafs and theres blue everywhere.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
That would unreal. IIHF would probably be its greedy self and ask for CAN-USA at night but hey all day hockey outdoors and in my city, I'm all for it.

Theres a ******** of Snowbird TML fans in the American south, especially Florida. Seriously, tune in to Panthers-Leafs and theres blue everywhere.

I'm not talking about snowbirds, I'm talking about actually United States residents that grew up there and cheer for Toronto. I have no doubt Toronto has a load of people that go there in the winter.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Anaheim will never host anything. I figured with the Honda Center renovations and the rumored new scoreboard they'd be up next. Guess not.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC

Toronto-Detroit drew the highest WC ratings of all time

Next argument please

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad