Rumour: Toronto to host 2017 all-star game and an outdoor game at Rogers Centre

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
It's supposed to be completed this year and I think also includes 10,000 in temporary seating to bump the total up to 40,000.

So realistically it's like 5-10 less than Rogers Centre but actually outdoors and has a rectangular field to put the surface. It makes a million times more sense than a baseball field to me, but maybe I'm dumb.

Mad Brills*

Isn't the dome not able to be opened under a certain degree of temperature? IIRC the fear was that if they opened it up during winter, it wouldn't close again.

BMO is expanding to 30,000+ by mid 2016. This game is in 2017. Stupid decision if true. No one else reported this yet

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
So realistically it's like 5-10 less than Rogers Centre but actually outdoors and has a rectangular field to put the surface. It makes a million times more sense than a baseball field to me, but maybe I'm dumb.

BMO field is poorly designed in terms of fan seating though. Minimal seats behind one net, no seats behind the other. Realistically it potentially could accommodate another 10-15,000 with a better planned expansion/

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Isn't the dome not able to be opened under a certain degree of temperature? IIRC the fear was that if they opened it up during winter, it wouldn't close again.

BMO is expanding to 30,000+ by mid 2016. This game is in 2017. Stupid decision if true. No one else reported this yet

Id assume they'd have some plan to keep the dome heated or perhaps some anti-freezing fluid similar to what they use on airplanes.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Awesome. The rogers center is so much better than most ballparks in terms of the sight lines. I think we can sacrifice aesthetic for efficiency one year. The Big House was great because of this.

Mad Brills*

Awesome. The rogers center is so much better than most ballparks. The sight lines. I think we can sacrifice aesthetic for efficiency one year. The Big House was great because of this.

really? 500 Level would presumably have 10,000 fans who have awful views

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
They must have serious work planned for it. The Rogers Centre cannot open in the winter time, the ballpark is not made to function in colder weather.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if we were Toronto's opponent for 2017.

Mad Brills*

They must have serious work planned for it. The Rogers Centre cannot open in the winter time, the ballpark is not made to function in colder weather.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if we were Toronto's opponent for 2017.

as I said, BMO field should be done with their full renovations by then, and could have up to 30K + in seats, plus couple thousands more temp seats. Right by the lake= awesome venue

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
as I said, BMO field should be done with their full renovations by then, and could have up to 30K + in seats, plus couple thousands more temp seats. Right by the lake= awesome venue

Yeah I know I've been to BMO heaps of times. The capacity still isn't even anything special for a Winter Classic with the new renos.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
I'd like that.

...or a Canadian team.
just not the Habs overdose.

It really does make sense for us to play you guys in 2017.

2017 will be almost ten years since our game and we haven't been in one since. We will (likely) have McDavid or Eichel on our team along with Reinhart and our other young stars who are still not even in their prime. We are one of the biggest hockey markets in the USA for NBC to use to their advantage. And lastly, the proximity between these two teams is extremely close.

I think it all comes down to whether we get McDavid or not, because he is from the GTA.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It will also mark 50 years since.... :sarcasm:

Thank you. :cry:

So we're basically celebrating 50 years of good followed by 50 years of futility and our team will likely suck too :help:

****ing Burke...doing all the right things in Calgary after experimenting with Toronto.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Why not Edmonton? They'll have a brand new arena and god knows the people in the city could use a reason to cheer for hockey once again. It's been almost 30 years since they had the All Star Game.

Bluejaysfan*

In order of who I want to see the Leafs play at the WC. Habs being the most wanted.

Habs
Kings
Red Wings
Hawks
Bruins

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It really does make sense for us to play you guys in 2017.

Habs and Leafs go back a hundred years, makes a lot more sense for them to play each other.

Why not Edmonton? They'll have a brand new arena and god knows the people in the city could use a reason to cheer for hockey once again. It's been almost 30 years since they had the All Star Game.

Because its Toronto's centennial anniversary. 100 years is a big deal and the Habs got it in 09 for theirs, plus the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad