Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2021-22 Pt. VI - When You Have Time….Use It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Regarding Eichel. More concerned about the nature of the injury rather than character.

Also, he would make the Isles center position right handed imbalanced. Not a major issue, but one I’m sure Trotz prefers as is currently.
Does that really matter for the center position outside of FO’s? Genuinely curious

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Does that really matter for the center position outside of FO’s? Genuinely curious

Not too much. Which is why I said it’s not a major issue. It can impact PP setups and you would like that flexibility for a crucial PK face off. But mostly Trotz just strikes me as someone who likes that roster/role balance.

Reactions: Tres Peleches

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
A lot of us would be assholes if our employer was trying to interfere in our doctor/patient relationship and second-guessing what our doctor recommended we do.
They’ve got ten million a year into him and his job depends on the state of his body. I don’t usually side with “the man” but I am in this case.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
They’ve got ten million a year into him and his job depends on the state of his body. I don’t usually side with “the man” but I am in this case.

I agree they are also pushing for the surgery that would have him miss a year but have a higher chance of returning to play in the NHL. If it was swapped and the team was pushing for the new surgery to get him back faster it might be different.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Hold on. Elevating Dobson to top 4 and filling in with a bottom 4 defenseman at a cheaper price tag was my 2nd option and I think a viable plan. I think Noah is ready for an increased workload. He was showing signs of being able to direct the power play before he got COVID. He was given more responsibility in the playoffs, and increased minutes in games where we were down by a goal. I think if he has a camp where he shows he has good stamina he's going to be counted on heavily this season...no kid gloves.
He badly needs 15 pounds. Put him on regimen of French fries and Dippin Dots.

Reactions: MJF

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Hold on. Elevating Dobson to top 4 and filling in with a bottom 4 defenseman at a cheaper price tag was my 2nd option and I think a viable plan. I think Noah is ready for an increased workload. He was showing signs of being able to direct the power play before he got COVID. He was given more responsibility in the playoffs, and increased minutes in games where we were down by a goal. I think if he has a camp where he shows he has good stamina he's going to be counted on heavily this season...no kid gloves.

He badly needs 15 pounds. Put him on regimen of French fries and Dippin Dots.

How about hiring Big Buff as strength and conditioning coach?

Reactions: MJF

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The combination of the value of the upcoming draft, the risk of Eichel's contract, and the NMC that goes into effect next year make him essentially untradeable except as an extremely depreciated asset. I don't have to speculate about his character to see the risk on the combination of (i) the results in Buffalo so far *along with* (ii) his injury *along with* (iii) the public dispute between him and the organization.

Evander Kane's situation is simply a mess, and it's one that I wonder whether it will become more common as time went on. It is certainly a familiar enough one, as I grew up with people who had fathers with gambling addictions. His contract is risky at 7AAV. there is no reason to take on that risk. I wouldn't even want a role player who had a known risk of that kind. (Mets fans might remember Paul Lo Doca).

I wouldn't want either of these players. The risk different from the risk of a player who would physically assault your goaltender for a miscommunication, but is similar in respect that it would require desperation to consider any of them. The Islanders aren't desperate.

Of the names being considered, Kessel is the most interesting with 50% retetion. I don't really think it works for NYI, because I don't think he could play Bailey's role. But at the very least he's still one of the best PP players in the league, a decisive + dangerous shooter and passer. Maybe he wears out his welcome, but he was a key player in 2 stanley cup wins.

Last edited:

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
I don't think there is too much doubt that he is going to see an increased workload but as of this moment and what little we know about the roster - and we don't even really know that - it would be done out of necessity rather than as BT's desired option based on performance to date. Not a knock on Dobson but as has been noted he still needs size and strength to complement his skill set.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
A lot of us would be assholes if our employer was trying to interfere in our doctor/patient relationship and second-guessing what our doctor recommended we do.
Huh? Well, Eichel has been an ass most of his time in Buffalo - that's really just him. It gets clouded because 'he's so good!' - His agents are a bunch of guys that he is their primary bread, not part of a stronger and larger portfolio. In the end, the TEAM provides the doctors for the player. Eichel sought his own opinion...well...as a tactic. When the team did not trade him based on his 'private' request, Eichel's camp went public with the surgery issue and did not state publicly they asked for a trade.

So, the acquiring team (a) needs to pay 'x' amount for Eichel, and (b) follow Eichel's demands on his doctors. How many teams want to do that? or does his surgery spat just disappear once he's on a new team?

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
I feel pretty confident that if you were facing major neck surgery yourself you wouldn't give a shit what "the man" thinks.

Reactions: leeroggy

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Being chosen as a sports team's Orthopedist carries significant cachet. It's a great marketing tool for the doc and his/her practice. Might also be some $ going the other way or some agreement to advertise or sponsor the team.

While I don't think this leads to a conscious bias on the doc's part, it can't help but tip the needle on judgement cases (and there's plenty of them).

I don't fault Eichel in the least for seeking an outside opinion. I do however fault him for an uninspiring performance this past season.

Reactions: leeroggy

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
I agree they are also pushing for the surgery that would have him miss a year but have a higher chance of returning to play in the NHL. If it was swapped and the team was pushing for the new surgery to get him back faster it might be different.
This is not true. Buffalo's only argument against the disk replacement is that it has not been performed on an NHL player before. Fusion is the more established surgery and they don't want to roll the dice on a newer procedure, but there is zero evidence that one procedure or the other provides a greater chance of returning to play at all. The NHL is a league run by dinosaurs and they embrace change, even beneficial change, grudgingly and usually only when circumstances absolutely demand it.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I don't fault Eichel in the least for seeking an outside opinion. I do however fault him for an uninspiring performance this past season.
The Pegula's were the same owners when Jackie signed his deal. If he didn't like them, then he should have asked out at that time, but he didn't. Look at how the team just unfolded underneath him as the Captain with the coach he championed for.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
The Pegula's were the same owners when Jackie signed his deal. If he didn't like them, then he should have asked out at that time, but he didn't. Look at how the team just unfolded underneath him as the Captain with the coach he championed for.
Pegulas also threatening to move the Bills to Austin haha. Pretty clear they suck

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

He's likely in store for more minutes and greater PP responsibility, but I'd be SHOCKED if they play Dobson on the left side.

In fact, WHY place any of our righties on the left side?

If you're going to do that, then you might as well sign Vatanen and have him on the left.

But we can all rest assured that short of an injury, Trotz' gameplan is all about a lefty paired with a righty.

PS) Didn't we already clarify in his rookie season that Dobson is lightyears better on the right side than the left?

Last edited:

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
Your take on this repeatedly and completely ignores what it really means to be an RFA in the NHL.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Your take on this repeatedly and completely ignores what it really means to be an RFA in the NHL.
Yeah, restricted free agent. Restricted vs. unrestricted. However, a restricted free agent can and have asked for trades before. Nothing new here. The difference is Eichel wanted his money first, then his ask out later.

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
I'd be SHOCKED if they play Dobson on the left side.

In fact, WHY place any of our righties on the left side?

If you're going to do that, then you might as well sign Vatanen and have him on the left.

But we can all rest assured that short of an injury, Trotz' gameplan is all about a lefty with a righty.

PS) Didn't we already clarify in his rookie season that Dobson is lightyears better on the right side than the left?

I agree. I think the eventual plan needs to be Dobson becoming our 2nd pair RD and Mayfield our 3rd pair RD. That is, unless Dobson completely breaks out and then you may consider pairing him with Pelech and make Pulock or 2nd pair and Mayfield our 3rd pair. We have a huge temporary hole at LD that needs to be filled until Bolduc or Salo are ready.

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
Yeah, restricted free agent. Restricted vs. unrestricted. However, a restricted free agent can and have asked for trades before. Nothing new here. The difference is Eichel wanted his money first, then his ask out later.
Right, like I said, you completely ignore what it really means to be an RFA in the NHL..

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
I think this is a situation that both sides need to agree on a doctor.
The dispute isn't really about the doctor, it's about the two different procedures. Eichel's doctor can perform either one, he just doesn't feel that it is in Eichel's best interest to have the fusion so he is hesitant to be forced into performing it. And even if another well-qualified doctor that Buffalo approved of was to offer to perform the disk replacement, as I understand it, Buffalo would still say no to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad