Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2021-22 Pt. VI - When You Have Time….Use It

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
i have read multiple reports of Eichel being an ass. he is exactly the kind of player that we don't want.
I don't think we are getting him, although I would love to have him at $7m,with Buffalo retaining the remaining $3m.
I think the Sabres owners will send him out west,unless an eastern conference team's offer is simply too good to say no to.

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
Well presented.

If we moved Leddy for a 2nd so as to move our 22 1st to replace Leddy, that's a high degree of asset management failure.

Sure, if you ignore the fact that we had no choice but to move Leddy or we likely would have given him away for free to Seattle in the expansion draft.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Good post, but I'm curious as to why you would have thought that Murray would have chosen the Isles over the Avalanche for the same money? Or is the cannot believe aspect more about the disappointment? Like I CANNOT believe I missed that 12ft putt. Chances are it wasn't going in anyway but you're still pissed about it.

I thought Murray was a very logical acquisition for a number of reasons that have to do with his player profile and skill set, but advantages for him would have been that he could stay in the area and play for a team clearly very intent on going to the Cup. I understand him to be a guy who is best when he's not in the spotlight, but still being counted on for valuable minutes, which would have been the case here.

Naturally, every bit of what I just wrote, save for the "remaining in the area" part, applies to Colorado too. That any player would choose to sign with the Aves is a perfectly logical career choice.

From an Islander fan standpoint, my dismay should be shared by all of us, because we've watched every left-side Dman on the free market who could have somewhat adequately replaced Leddy sign with another team. The market is now free of halfway comparable replacements.

Are there other answers?

Sure.

But they'll either be a considerable drop down in quality, a larger risk than a team going for the Cup usually takes or will cost us further assets to acquire.

Whatever Lou's doing behind the scenes, the weight of its magnitude continues to grow.

Reactions: pursuit81

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
i have read multiple reports of Eichel being an ass. he is exactly the kind of player that we don't want.
354eb0b16249ec830edbec8022c41737.jpg

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Aho is 25. I wanna see if he can do something this season if anything. Also, never put the idea of a trade to bed. Lou has something cooking if he's not liking any of these FA's
25 years old, 4 pro years under his belt already, smallish, never shown to be good in his own end, I think the book is closed on Aho as an NHLer. Trade him or cut him. I think we already know what he can do.

Reactions: The Real JT

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Whatever Lou's doing behind the scenes, the weight of its magnitude continues to grow.

I don't have any answers (duh, obviously), but I assume that the Pelech contract (and maybe Cizikas? who knows) is what is holding everything up. I'm amazed that Palmieri (Cizikas too?) is allowing his deal not to be signed until everything else happens, but that appears to be what's going on. I would be even more amazed if other GMs are holding up their trade plans to wait for LL's negotiations with Pelech. I can't imagine other remaining UFAs will either. The only conclusion I can make (and without confidence) is that the Pelech negotiation is not close. But watch me be wrong.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Sure, if you ignore the fact that we had no choice but to move Leddy or we likely would have given him away for free to Seattle in the expansion draft.

Actually no. We all know why Leddy was jettisoned.

And no-one expected him to replaced from within, but rather with a considerably cheaper comparable from the outside.

But if that "comparable" can only be acquired by using our '22 1st rounder - the best draft of the century - to bring in a guy who'll be making upwards of 3+ MM anyways (in light of all the other guys we're keeping who are getting raises), then the asset management is a failure.

BTW, from a cap standpoint, we'd have been just as happy to lose Leddy to Seattle and trade Eberle for Panik and a 2nd rounder.

It's just that there was a bigger and better market for Leddy.

The main point is that the somewhat comparable Leddy replacement we all know needs to be acquired could have just been acquired only for money on the free market.

That opportunity now seems to have passed and it's looking like the Pelech situation is the main culprit.

...Unless this team is somehow able to bring in someone totally under the radar whose play goes beyond expectations.

The plot it thickening.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I want no part of a player demanding a spinal surgery never performed on a hockey player. Especially one owed $50 million, who will require substantial assets just to acquire. Let someone else take that risk.

Reactions: JKP and buud

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I don't have any answers (duh, obviously), but I assume that the Pelech contract (and maybe Cizikas? who knows) is what is holding everything up. I'm amazed that Palmieri (Cizikas too?) is allowing his deal not to be signed until everything else happens, but that appears to be what's going on. I would be even more amazed if other GMs are holding up their trade plans to wait for LL's negotiations with Pelech. I can't imagine other remaining UFAs will either. The only conclusion I can make (and without confidence) is that the Pelech negotiation is not close. But watch me be wrong.

I think you're right.

The Pelech situation appears to be holding up everything.

And honestly, I don't think we can lose him AND still play for the Cup.

Reactions: The Real JT

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
And no-one expected him to replaced from within, but rather with a considerably cheaper comparable from the outside.
Hold on. Elevating Dobson to top 4 and filling in with a bottom 4 defenseman at a cheaper price tag was my 2nd option and I think a viable plan. I think Noah is ready for an increased workload. He was showing signs of being able to direct the power play before he got COVID. He was given more responsibility in the playoffs, and increased minutes in games where we were down by a goal. I think if he has a camp where he shows he has good stamina he's going to be counted on heavily this season...no kid gloves.

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
Actually no. We all know why Leddy was jettisoned.

But if that "comparable" can only be acquired by using our '22 1st rounder - the best draft of the century - to bring in a guy who'll be making upwards of 3+ MM anyways (in light of all the other guys we're keeping who are getting raises), then the asset management is a failure.

BTW, from a cap standpoint, we'd have been just as happy to lose Leddy to Seattle and trade Eberle for Panik and a 2nd rounder.

It's just that there was a bigger and better market for Leddy.

The main point is that the somewhat comparable Leddy replacement we all know needs to be acquired could have just been acquired only for money on the free market.

That opportunity now seems to have passed and it's looking like the Pelech situation is the main culprit.

...Unless this team is somehow able to bring in someone totally under the radar whose play goes beyond expectations.

The plot it thickening.

We do not know who Lou did or did not try to acquire from the free agent market. We know any speculation from "experts" is nonsense as Lou doesn't leak. He could have been in on Suter (got way too expensive), Goligovski (same), Murray (may just have chose Colorado as it is an attractive landing spot), etc. and ended up without any of them. You can't say he made a poor calculation because Leddy was going either way and I am extremely skeptical of what Eberle's trade value would be had we given up Leddy for free to the Kraken.

Let's just have the patience to see where this all ends up and we can then all judge once the final team is in place. I would hate it if my work I do for my job were judged part of the way through but I am pretty confident in the consistent end product of my work. I really feel that Lou has earned the benefit of the doubt, personally based on his track record with us and going far back before his time with us.

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
Speak for yourself. He's been jerked around by a franchise that makes the late 90s Isles look like a well oiled machine. Well, almost anyway. That would sour anyone. The bottom line is that he's a world class talent who wants to win and I don't remember the reports of him being an ass before he got to Buffalo. In fact, I don't remember the reports of him being an ass at all really, unless being fed up makes him an ass.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Regarding Eichel. More concerned about the nature of the injury rather than character.

Also, he would make the Isles center position right handed imbalanced. Not a major issue, but one I’m sure Trotz prefers as is currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad