Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2021-22 Pt. VI - When You Have Time….Use It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
For those that they did NOT acquire, the only one that came at a reasonable price was Ryan Murray. If he wanted Colorado, can you really blame him? AS for Suter and Goligovski, were you really willing to pay those prices/term? Anyone else that we did NOT get, that you are upset about based on the cost?
Again, it's a shite FA class on defense. Make do with what you got or a trade happens. Lets see what Lou will do

SI

Feb 16, 2013

Is there anything in this article we don’t know about in here?

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
Being chosen as a sports team's Orthopedist carries significant cachet. It's a great marketing tool for the doc and his/her practice. Might also be some $ going the other way or some agreement to advertise or sponsor the team.

While I don't think this leads to a conscious bias on the doc's part, it can't help but tip the needle on judgement cases (and there's plenty of them).

I don't fault Eichel in the least for seeking an outside opinion. I do however fault him for an uninspiring performance this past season.
I don't know when the disk problem started, whether it's cause was progressive or an acute injury, but I do know that if he was dealing with nerve impingement to the degree that major surgery is required, play that appears uninspired is about the best you can hope for.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

Is there anything in this article we don’t know about in here?

Staple should be fired and we need a better Athletic writer. He's been shooting in the dark every god damn time now

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
Staple should be fired and we need a better Athletic writer. He's been shooting in the dark every god damn time now
We can either have Lou's impenetrable wall or a writer who can get the inside scoop. I mean wouldn't that blow the Legend of Lou all to pieces if Staple was giving up all his secrets?

Reactions: Tres Peleches

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
People were trying to get rid of Leddy for years. I actually always kind of liked Leddy and saw that he got a lot of minutes and was a valuable player. So I was okay with keeping him and trading Toews, for example. And he was fine for what we were paying him. Longer term though, he needed an upgrade, and I also always said we needed to upgrade LHD more than getting a scoring winger.

Fast forward to the ED, and he was clearly defenseman #4 on the "protect list", and unless you were okay with exposing Lee or Nelson or Beau, we could only protect 3 defensemen. So Lou got assets for him, opened the door to the Ladd salary dump deal, and allowed Eberle and his 3 remaining years to go to SEA. I actually think that was masterful asset management. Now the trick is to get a LHD who is an upgrade to Leddy. Unless you think the Isles are in danger of not making the playoffs, that just needs to happen by the TDL. So as much as I'd love to see a great deal happen later today, I'm not panicking.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
For those that they did NOT acquire, the only one that came at a reasonable price was Ryan Murray. If he wanted Colorado, can you really blame him? AS for Suter and Goligovski, were you really willing to pay those prices/term?

Agreed. Suter and Goligoski priced themselves out our means. I felt McCabe did as well.

Yes, Suter not finding intrinsic value in sticking with Parise and returning to Trotz disappointed me, but he got some good change and term to sign in Dallas. I'd actually say Dallas is overdoing it, but they clearly felt that was necessary in order to get him down to Texas.

Murray was really the guy who I felt was most "realistic". I thought he'd be a real nice all-round stopgap as we continue to groom Bolduc and Salo, with perhaps Vande Sompel or Rajaniemi entering the conversation in the next two summers. He could solve a few issues.

Anyone else that we did NOT get, that you are upset about based on the cost?

Others I felt might have come into consideration here were Edler, Cole, and Kulikov. I thought of them as Murray-style possibilities.

I even thought a platoon addition of former NJD 1st rounder John Merrill with the somewhat unknown commodity of Mikko Lehtonen may be a path worth taking in light of Greene's age as well.

These guys are all off the market.

But I would like to point out once again that my initial post today regarding my disappointment in seeing Murray off the market, and concerns about this team moving more assets to find our Leddy replacement, was less about missing out on players XX, YY, and ZZ, and much more about the notion that perhaps all our inactivity is due not so much to Lou's modi operandi or holding cards close to the vest, but rather that Pelech's situation is handicapping our organization much more than anticipated.

And when you see what Jones and Werenski and Hamilton have been getting, well, it wouldn't be surprising if Pelech's camp has pushed a few unexpected buttons over the past 7-10 days.

That too would go a long ways in explaining the inactivity to date.

Will that prove to be the wrench thrown into the gears that forces this team to have to find alternative solutions?

I'd like to say we'll find out soon enough, but...

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
Again, it's a shite FA class on defense. Make do with what you got or a trade happens. Lets see what Lou will do

I think this resolves plenty of the back and forth. We all agree that it would be best if we could get that 2nd pair LD in here, that the options were not great, especially considering the market, and that the only solution is to let the kids have a shot or make a trade. If we go the kids option, I still prefer a trade for a stop gap guy. Perhaps De Haan with 50% retention. We all know his injury history, so that might be the least costly option (in assets) where we could also plug in the kids throughout the year to get them involved in the mix and see if they are ready.

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
Agreed. Suter and Goligoski priced themselves out our means. I felt McCabe did as well.

Yes, Suter not finding intrinsic value in sticking with Parise and returning to Trotz disappointed me, but he got some good change and term to sign in Dallas. I'd actually say Dallas is overdoing it, but they clearly felt that was necessary in order to get him down to Texas.

Murray was really the guy who I felt was most "realistic". I thought he'd be a real nice all-round stopgap as we continue to groom Bolduc and Salo, with perhaps Vande Sompel or Rajaniemi entering the conversation in the next two summers. He could solve a few issues.

Others I felt might have come into consideration here were Edler, Cole, and Kulikov. I thought of them as Murray-style possibilities.

I even thought a platoon addition of former NJD 1st rounder John Merrill with the somewhat unknown commodity of Mikko Lehtonen may be a path worth taking in light of Greene's age as well.

These guys are all off the market.

But I would like to point out once again that my initial post today regarding my disappointment in seeing Murray off the market, and concerns about this team moving more assets to find our Leddy replacement, was less about missing out on players XX, YY, and ZZ, and much more about the notion that perhaps all our inactivity is due not so much to Lou's modi operandi or holding cards close to the vest, but rather that Pelech's situation is handicapping our organization much more than anticipated.

And when you see what Jones and Werenski and Hamilton have been getting, well, it wouldn't be surprising if Pelech's camp has pushed a few unexpected buttons over the past 7-10 days.

That too would go a long ways in explaining the inactivity to date.

Will that prove to be the wrench thrown into the gears that forces this team to have to find alternative solutions?

I'd like to say we'll find out soon enough, but...

Very fair on all points. Thoughts on my De Haan stop gap idea? Obvious heavy retention would be needed.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
People were trying to get rid of Leddy for years. I actually always kind of liked Leddy and saw that he got a lot of minutes and was a valuable player. So I was okay with keeping him and trading Toews, for example. And he was fine for what we were paying him. Longer term though, he needed an upgrade, and I also always said we needed to upgrade LHD more than getting a scoring winger.

Fast forward to the ED, and he was clearly defenseman #4 on the "protect list", and unless you were okay with exposing Lee or Nelson or Beau, we could only protect 3 defensemen. So Lou got assets for him, opened to door to the Ladd salary dump deal, and allowed Eberle and his 3 remaining years to go to SEA. I actually think that was masterful asset management. Now the trick is to get a LHD who is an upgrade to Leddy. Unless you think the Isles are in danger of not making the playoffs, that just needs to happen by the TDL. So as much as I'd love to see a great deal happen later today, I'm not panicking.
One of the best comments on the situation to date. 100% with you on it too.

Reactions: JKP and doublechili

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I think this resolves plenty of the back and forth. We all agree that it would be best if we could get that 2nd pair LD in here, that the options were not great, especially considering the market, and that the only solution is to let the kids have a shot or make a trade. If we go the kids option, I still prefer a trade for a stop gap guy. Perhaps De Haan with 50% retention. We all know his injury history, so that might be the least costly option (in assets) where we could also plug in the kids throughout the year to get them involved in the mix and see if they are ready.
Agreed

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Best UFA d available:
  1. Chara
  2. Vatanen
  3. Gustafsson
  4. Gudbranson
  5. Coburn
  6. Demers
  7. Koekkek
  8. Jack Johnson
  9. Benn

There is also Ben Hutton - I thought I saw somewhere he agreed at 1.1 AAv with some team - cannot remember who.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Best UFA d available:
  1. Chara
  2. Vatanen
  3. Gustafsson
  4. Gudbranson
  5. Coburn
  6. Demers
  7. Koekkek
  8. Jack Johnson
  9. Benn

There is also Ben Hutton - I thought I saw somewhere he agreed with 1.1 AAv with some team - cannot remember who.
At this point, seems like Lou is setting on trading for a LD and Top 6F.

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise

Fast forward to the ED, and he was clearly defenseman #4 on the "protect list", and unless you were okay with exposing Lee or Nelson or Beau, we could only protect 3 defensemen. So Lou got assets for him, opened the door to the Ladd salary dump deal, and allowed Eberle and his 3 remaining years to go to SEA. I actually think that was masterful asset management. Now the trick is to get a LHD who is an upgrade to Leddy. Unless you think the Isles are in danger of not making the playoffs, that just needs to happen by the TDL. So as much as I'd love to see a great deal happen later today, I'm not panicking.

You and me are we.

Reactions: doublechili

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Don’t sleep on Salo, he might be ready for the NHL. I much rather see him play regularly in the league than a wreck like Chara.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->