Rumor: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2021-22 Pt. IV - Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
It looks like Boston will be heavily in on Getzlaf, and given that they haven’t re-signed Krejci yet, they could be giving Getzlaf a much larger role than he’d get here.

Where did you see that Boston is in on him?

I mean if Getzlaf wants to sign here I'd let him take 3rd line C minutes. See where things settle out with he and Pageau. There are few players out there who can match Cizikas' intangibles, but Gatzlaf is one...And he wouldn't jam up our cap for years to come.

I still don't believe he's leaving, but he must be explored.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
At this point Raty > MDC is a very lukewarm, room temperature take.
Not like Raty also played in a harder league while MDC, despite winning a memorial cup, still struggles as a player overall. In reality, what hurt MDC is his shot. He never improved it

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
(Dallas Stars press conference introducing Ryan Suter as their newest free agent signing)

Reporter: Ryan - Word is the Islanders were very interested in you. Why did you decide not to sign there?

Suter: Do you want to play 13 games in a row on the road...?

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Where did you see that Boston is in on him?

I mean if Getzlaf wants to sign here I'd let him take 3rd line C minutes. See where things settle out with he and Pageau. There are few players out there who can match Cizikas' intangibles, but Gatzlaf is one...And he wouldn't jam up our cap for years to come.

I still don't believe he's leaving, but he must be explored.
Saw it from Pagnotta earlier today:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
I was feeling pretty good about myself when I looked at the draft thread saw that I was negative for MDC and hoping for Nylander. But, unfortunately I was sorta positive towards Snow back in 2013. :eek:
Props to you for that, looks like I was definitely team MDC and maybe Bennett if he fell to us. I love how many of us, myself included, did not want Draisaitl and were excited when Edmonton took him.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Props to you for that, looks like I was definitely team MDC and maybe Bennett if he fell to us. I love how many of us, myself included, did not want Draisaitl and were excited when Edmonton took him.
man why didn't anyone want him back them?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I just watched the Raty highlights in the prospects thread and then went back and watched some MDC draft year highlights. Raty shows some real talent and does some things that look like nice NHL plays - one wraparound displays some nice skating for example. And he's a 2nd round pick. MDC's highlight reel has nothing impressive - not really NHL quality goals or plays that show exceptional talent. If you don't believe me, scroll down about 80% of the page and click on "Michael Dal Colle 2013-14 OHL highlights".

Michael Dal Colle at eliteprospects.com

Reactions: ShiroganeKvasha30

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
man why didn't anyone want him back them?
Since most of us admittedly know very little or have seen very little of any prospects before any draft - outside of what we read online or the highlights we watch on Youtube - we make our preferences based on minute details. Such as, does this player seem like good value based on the pundit's rankings? Does he look like a nice guy? Do we tear up watching their childhood backstory piece on TSN? It's a lot of silly and pointless things. A lot of us had Euro fatigue after the Niederreiter debacle and wanted a North American in 2014.

With Draisaitl, a lot of his talked-up qualities were his size and strength. Some thought that him leaning on his size could translate into not being able to adapt to the speed of the NHL, and therefore not putting up the points he did in his draft year. It's quite funny that MDC became the exact thing we thought Draisaitl could become, and Draisaitl has become the superstar we dreamed about with MDC.

Of course, there's a reason he went #3 overall and I'm sitting on HFBoards at 1am.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Shame about MDC. He looked like he was working pretty hard this season and nearly potted a couple of nice goals. I was hoping one might go in and he'd click, with a possible role as a fourth liner.

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
Not like Raty also played in a harder league while MDC, despite winning a memorial cup, still struggles as a player overall. In reality, what hurt MDC is his shot. He never improved it

he never took his shot because he can’t create his own space to take it or get to those spaces. His skating is the main issue, which his marginally improved. But if he had wheels, he’d create space, take some shots, and build his confidence. I fear Raty may also be a poor skater.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Lou really is quiet

I get your anticipation and frustration. He's really clamping down on the leaks: I have no doubt that he's doing a lot of work behind the scenes.

Just a review of some of the themes I've been reading today. Suter at 4 years is too long for an aging D man, unless he signs for something like 2-3M (unlikely). Perhaps Jake McCabe, Reilly, or Montaur could be options. McCabe is one of the better shutdown D men, while he won't add the offense Leddy did, he'll make a strong D even stronger. Montaur brings offense, perhaps in a system like NYI's he will be adequate defensively. Reilly is kind of the in between.

Parise doesn't do it for me, even as a R3. If he's signed I won't complain, that said, I do not see him being much of a difference maker. I may actually prefer Panik with JPG.

As I've said, I like Palms in the middle 6, but as a top liner, he doesn't move the needle enough. He'll bring a bit more goals and grit than Ebs, without much playmaking.

I hope Lou does something that moves the needle enough to get this team to a Cup, they are primed and on the cusp. That doesn't have to be Tank or Landy, necessarily.

Oh...and...I can't believe MDC is producing this much chatter.

Last edited:

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Getzlaf? At age 36, after 16 years in Anaheim, he's not moving his wife and 4 kids to the east coast. I'm not buying it.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
it's my opinion that we need to be more gritty in the PO's. Palmieri brings this. maybe he 'just' moves the needle, when comparing him to Eberle, but in the PO's, Palmieri was much more valuable than Eberle. if we can get Palmieri for $4.5, it's a big win, IMO.

i would seriously consider replacing Leddy with some one with more grit. McCabe? makes us better in the PO's, providing he doesn't shit the bed. savings can go toward a top F.

we have to figure that TB will have weakened.

and... LL can still add a piece or two, come trade deadline. whatever the add, i am expecting quality over popularity. Lou style. and i am ok with it.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Occurs to me that a benefit of Mike Reilly could be having the space to bring in another cheap top 6 D. We’re fooling ourselves if we think we can pencil in Greene for a full season in the lineup again. It’s incredible we got away with it this season.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Good luck to MDC. Maybe he can go somewhere like Arizona and get a shot?

I don’t think MDC is good enough to get another gig in the NHL. It wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up in Switzerland, one of the non-Russian KHL teams or Sweden.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
New, shiny toys are always the best until you break them.

Toys still in the wrapping are always the best until you open it.

hkQAfuO.gif

Reactions: MYIslanders
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad