Rumor: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2021-22 Pt. IV - Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I mean, sure, but why keep a veteran who might develop into a useful fourth liner. Especially given how much cash we already have invested in fourth liners (including the bizarre Ross Johnston deal).

Dal Colle developed into someone who didn’t embarrass himself on the ice. But he still didn’t excel at anything in particular.

I dont disagree, I have actually posted a few time about the log jam so this is not a big deal. It was more a curiosity. He is still 25 years old, and guys like Leo/Martin/Clutter will eventually have to be replaced. I saw him developing into a 3rd/4th line grinder who could become a good PKer. Someone had to go. I had wondered if Panik would ever play a game in an Isles uniform or just be flipped , looks like he might be in the mix now.. hopefully as no more than a 13th/14th forward with Leo when the dust settles.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Sick to my stomach that Dillion got the same return as Toews. Not even in the same stratosphere

caps made out

Issue is that we did it in an awful market (last season), so take that as you will

Reactions: SI90

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Does anyone else feel like teams are acting like the flat cap won’t actually be around for as long as the league is saying? Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but if it turned out that the league’s posture on the flat cap is a cynical ploy to depress salaries for as long as they can get away with it wouldn’t shock me.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Sick to my stomach that Dillion got the same return as Toews. Not even in the same stratosphere

caps made out

Gotta keep in mind 81.5m in capspace got added to the league this summer, so trading players with salary attached is a much different world than last summer.

Reactions: SI90

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
I think Lou is gonna surprise us and trade for Nate Schmidt with some retention for the LD2 spot (barring we don’t get Suter of course)
Gotta be 50% retention which I doubt the Nucks do. That’s a real bloated contract but Schmidt can still play. And played under Trotz in Washington.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Missing that badly on the 2014 5th pick set this franchise back considerably. Horrible, horrific selection.
what set us back was stupidty from coaching and poor development as well. Then again, if the Isles didn't close out 2014 on such a torrid streak, we could've had draisaitl or reinhart instead

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Gotta keep in mind 81.5m in capspace got added to the league this summer, so trading players with salary attached is a much different world than last summer.

Also, at last year’s deadline the NHL already announced the salary CAP was going up ~3 million (93m spread out over 31 teams).

Keep in mind this was the NHL giving clubs guidance as to what CAP space they could expect to have. So everyone, and the Isles were operating under the expectation of an 84M CAP. But, then COVID happened.

Reactions: Seph

BKIsles

Jan 22, 2013
what set us back was stupidty from coaching and poor development as well. Then again, if the Isles didn't close out 2014 on such a torrid streak, we could've had draisaitl or reinhart instead

Nylander was just sitting there, I will never not be peeved by that pick. MDC just couldn't skate at a high enough level, that's all, don't have another bad word to say about him. I will never understand how he was a consensus top 10 pick. Makes sense why a guy like Raty fell to us at 54, the guy is a terrible skater, MDC was not much better, don't know how so many scouts missed that.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I want to remind everyone - we see these outrageous numbers and terms rumoured every year and then the numbers do come down to reality when they actually sign.

I don't know about that. The medium/big FAs sign for big numbers. It's the secondary market a few days later where you might see some discounts. I mean the Seth Jones deal is outrageous.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
WTF? Do you need a major transaction every day?

If Lou is quiet Bob Murray is in a coma.

I guess so.
At the moment lou was quiet that's what I meant. I don't expect a god damn barrage of deals but he was quiet for that long until 8pm when we finally knew the RFA list lol

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
That's just your old Islander injured soul reacting. Dal Colle won't score 20 more goals in the NHL.
I hope he does, I really hope he finds traction somewhere in the league. Obviously not with the Rangers, but I’m still pulling for MDC! Stinks it didn’t work out here, but he’s a great kid and his journey was far from easy.

Reactions: goal1228

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Per Andy Strickland, Gelzlaf expected to test UFA.

Not for a second did I ever think Getzlaf would leave Anaheim, but if he's serious about it Lou has to call him and see if he's willing to man that 4th line center position. It will keep his minutes down and maybe Martin/Cluterbuck can "keep the flies off him." We could get him probably for less than Cizikas will sign for (and certainly less term).

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Nylander was just sitting there, I will never not be peeved by that pick. MDC just couldn't skate at a high enough level, that's all, don't have another bad word to say about him. I will never understand how he was a consensus top 10 pick. Makes sense why a guy like Raty fell to us at 54, the guy is a terrible skater, MDC was not much better, don't know how so many scouts missed that.
Hot take Raty has better talent than MDC

also I do agree that Nylander was on the board, MDC was a "safe" pick at the time

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Not for a second did I ever think Getzlaf would leave Anaheim, but if he's serious about it Lou has to call him and see if he's willing to man that 4th line center position. It will keep his minutes down and maybe Martin/Cluterbuck can "keep the flies off him." We could get him probably for less than Cizikas will sign for (and certainly less term).
It looks like Boston will be heavily in on Getzlaf, and given that they haven’t re-signed Krejci yet, they could be giving Getzlaf a much larger role than he’d get here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad