Rumor: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2021-22 Pt. IV - Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
This ain't a great take. You don't know what Parise/Suter's personal lives look like currently or their goals are nor more than you know their current bank accounts, who they take care of, or their overall expenses.

Did you have any clue about Jack Johnson's financial situation when it was announced he was bankrupt in 2014?

By positioning this Suter/Parise argument as them wanting to play for a winner as the sole reason for their decisions is some combination of uninformed, unnuanced, or totally tunnel-visioned. Maybe they didn't save well, maybe they're taking care of more family members than just their wife and kids, maybe they want to buy their own 100 million dollar island, or maybe they have the kind of ego that doesn't want to admit their careers are coming to an end and want more money/longer term.

It's certainly nice to be in the position we are now as that of contenders - And not treading water pretenders who are the joke of the league. But let's not get ahead of ourselves and think that because we're a contender that bends all arrows to (quality) free agents signing with us. Their personal decisions are just that - Personal. And we don't know all that goes into them.

I'm certain the part above "SIDENOTE" is a great take.:)

I'm also pretty certain that neither Suter or Parise are in Trottier, Johnson or Evander Kane territory financially.

As opposed to those three, they've also got the following earnings to look forward to over the next six years - just to NOT playing hockey:
upload_2021-7-27_0-17-45.png

I'm gonna continue leaning on the belief that both of these guys - at their ages and in this phase of their career - want nothing more than to win. Might be all they really care about now.

But hey, I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I'm certain the part above "SIDENOTE" is a great take.:)

I'm also pretty certain that neither Suter or Parise are in Trottier, Johnson or Evander Kane territory financially.

As opposed to those three, they've also got the following earnings to look forward to over the next six years for NOT playing hockey:
View attachment 456432

I'm gonna continue leaning on the belief that both of these guys - at their ages and in this phase of their career - want nothing more than to win. Might be all they really care about now.

But hey, I could be wrong.
There's some nostalgia on the Parise side - from his side as well as Isles side. Suter, I just don't see the big hoopla over him. MIN wanted out of those deals, they found the window to do it, but also doesn't seem like Billie G is gonna miss them at all as players.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Panthers opened up their cap space to resign Reinhart and Wennberg. And essentially their offseason might be done. Good job by Zito.
Their issue still is goaltending and defense. But, agree, a lot of improvements for them. They should catch another playoff spot.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Their issue still is goaltending and defense. But, agree, a lot of improvements for them.

They’ll roll with what they Have in Net - Knight and Bob.

yeah - I can see them going for another D do not know how much they have left - maybe the Vatrano to Seattle for one of their D resurfaces.

Weegar, Ekblad, Gudas is solid righside

Nutivaara and Forsling need someone ahead of them on the leftside

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Well seems likely Landeskog will be available if NYI wants to be in that race Wednesday.

Guess we'll see if the fire is legit.

Reactions: SI

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Ryan Suter is 27 months younger than Andy Greene. Right now, Andy Greene is on our 2nd pairing for NEXT year. 27 months older, + 12 months for next year = 39 months. So signing Suter to a 4 year contract wouldn't take us much further out as a commitment than we are right now with Greene.

Re: Pius Suter (and Donato, etc.), we are one of the best teams in the league and right now Lou is tweaking the roster to get us over the hump to a Cup. Maybe there is something there that Lou/Trotz like, but as a general proposition we shouldn't be looking at guys that a lottery team chose not to retain.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Ryan Suter is 27 months younger than Andy Greene. Right now, Andy Greene is on our 2nd pairing for NEXT year. 27 months older, + 12 months for next year = 39 months. So signing Suter to a 4 year contract wouldn't take us much further out as a commitment than we are right now with Greene.

Re: Pius Suter (and Donato, etc.), we are one of the best teams in the league and right now Lou is tweaking the roster to get us over the hump to a Cup. Maybe there is something there that Lou/Trotz like, but as a general proposition we shouldn't be looking at guys that a lottery team chose not to retain.
Suter will likely cost more than the $2M Greene cost last year and the $1 he'll cost this year is the difference.

I'd happily sign Suter to a 4 yr deal for $8M...

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I'd happily sign Suter to a 4 yr deal for $8M...
Me too. How about $10 million (4 x $2.5 mil)?

Suter seems like more of a cerebral, smooth-skating defender. His game doesn't depend on speed, and he doesn't play a punishing style that would wear him down early. He could still be decent at 38 or 39.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Me too. How about $10 million (4 x $2.5 mil)?

Suter seems like more of a cerebral, smooth-skating defender. His game doesn't depend on speed, and he doesn't play a punishing style that would wear him down early. He could still be decent at 38 or 39.
I'd do $10. He won't, from all indications...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad