Rumor: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2021-22 Pt. IV - Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
At this point Raty > MDC is a very lukewarm, room temperature take.

The difference is that Raety has Bailey hands (remember Lee is not a great skater either)....His problem is mostly mental and only from when Covid started. In his draft year, he was only given 10 min a game...not enough to do much. This kid is really good or he wouldn't even be in the conversation for 1st overall before. He put WAY too much pressure on himself and his problem areas can easily be fixed. They aren't fundamental problems...except maybe improving his skating. Lets see how he does first before coming to a conclusion.

islescoop

Jul 24, 2011
Sounds like several teams in the goalie market. Any chance you see us trading Varly, promoting Sorokin and picking up a cheap goalie #2 to free up additional cap space? I know, cap space only good if you can use it.

Last edited:

Stercrazy

Jul 4, 2007
Sounds like several teams in the goalie market. Any chance you see us trading Varly, promoting Sorokin and picking up a cheap goalie #2 to free up additional cap space? I know, cap space only good if you can use it.
It would have to be a really good return for the Isles to trade Varly.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
There we go

Apparently, just because a team does not give a QO to a player...it doesn't mean that the team won't sign him. It just means that the QO isn't worth it. I think his QO is too high and if he wants to stay, he will need to sign for League Min.

The MORE surprising thing here is that H0-Sang's name isn't on there....anywhere, so wtf is going on with his status?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Apparently, just because a team does not give a QO to a player...it doesn't mean that the team won't sign him. It just means that the QO isn't worth it. I think his QO is too high and if he wants to stay, he will need to sign for League Min.
That's a possibility, but MDC made only $700k last year so what would his QO have been, and what's league minimum? I'm wondering what the savings would be if they did that.

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island

The MORE surprising thing here is that H0-Sang's name isn't on there....anywhere, so wtf is going on with his status?

Ho-sang is a group6 UFA since turning 25. Only need a QO for your RFAs

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland

Ho sang is a UFA. His islanders career is over.

Reactions: LBloor

Okposofan21

Jan 5, 2009
New York, New York

Plenty of goalies are on the market as well. A team is most likely not going to trade for a goalie if they can just sign one off of the market. Also - Varlamov's worth to the North American develpment is important to Sorokin imo. I believe that Sorokin lived with Varlomov and his family this past year. I would not change a thing for the next two years (when Varlamov's contract expires) and then hopefully Sorokin will be ready to take over as a legitit number one goalie.

LBloor

Jul 21, 2021
It very much is. I am poking fun at the select few who were still asking why he was not given a chance as recent as March/April when the offense was sputtering.

Welcome aboard.
Thank you, fan since 78 when the leafs eliminated them from the playoffs. Just figuring out this chat stuff, yes im old as dirt lol.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Ho-sang is a group6 UFA since turning 25. Only need a QO for your RFAs
MTL should sign him, they clearly have no qualms dealing with jackasses

*just for clarity’s sake, what their pick did was infinitely worse than anything Ho-Sang has done. Point is you can’t proclaim you won’t give a guy a shot due to “character issues” when you actively pick someone like that

Last edited:
Reactions: Duanesutter12

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I hope this is sarcasm, HO Sang has been a cancer since his minor hockey days in the GTHL
It’s sarcasm Ho sang had multiple chances with the islanders. Has only himself to blame but he will probably still blame everyone else for his failures.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Plenty of goalies are on the market as well. A team is most likely not going to trade for a goalie if they can just sign one off of the market. Also - Varlamov's worth to the North American develpment is important to Sorokin imo. I believe that Sorokin lived with Varlomov and his family this past year. I would not change a thing for the next two years (when Varlamov's contract expires) and then hopefully Sorokin will be ready to take over as a legitit number one goalie.

Sorokin is already 25 years old and won a playoff series for us. Don’t think he needs to wait until he’s 27-28 to be a #1 goalie. Especially since we’ll need to be paying him in the meantime.

IMO, I’d rather run with Sorokin and use the Varlamov space (and take the return we get for him) to try and improve the rest of the roster.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I don’t think MDC is good enough to get another gig in the NHL. It wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up in Switzerland, one of the non-Russian KHL teams or Sweden.

Yeah very possible. He was lucky at times he was even getting into the games he got in here

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Why, spend assets when tomorrow he’s free.

he’s not. He has 4 years left on his deal at basically $6mil AAV. That’s more than Leddy and I don’t think he’s as good as Leddy.

I’d rather $4milAAV X 4 years for Suter than Schmidt’s current contract.

even if VAN was willing to eat salary I don’t know about the fit and what it would cost us.

I’d prefer to honestly sign Zadorov to a price it contract

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Ho-Sang may be a goofball who doesn't have what it takes to be a NHL player, but that is not in any way comparable to what the kid the Canadiens picked did.
That’s my point. If they’re willing to put up with what that douche did, Ho-Sang is a saint compared to him

Re-reading my post, I could have made that more clear

Reactions: saintunspecified
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad