Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2021-22 Pt. III - Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
what do you mean? They are contending.
They move out disgruntled player and replace Schwartz with Bailey. They can easily bury Panik and save 2 off the cap with this move.

They have Kyrou, Thomas, and Barbashev who they all want to see take the next step and they just acquired Buchnevich, who replaces Tank at RW

Top 4 is still very good and Binnington can bounce back if he can keep his emotions in check.

...And what if they add Landeskog once Tarasenko is dealt?

End of day...Binnington stole them that Cup. They're an ok team, but if e wants to stand on his head again I guess anything is possible.

Reactions: MJF and Throttle

SI

Feb 16, 2013
And thus why I said, "Bailey + something" for a D-man.

who?

I don’t really see the comparable d man to Bailey or even someone who is a little bit better. McDonough is the only one that comes to mind and TBY and NYI are not going to make any deals with one another.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
what do you mean? They are contending.
They move out disgruntled player and replace Schwartz with Bailey. They can easily bury Panik and save 2 off the cap with this move.

They have Kyrou, Thomas, and Barbashev who they all want to see take the next step and they just acquired Buchnevich, who replaces Tank at RW

Top 4 is still very good and Binnington can bounce back if he can keep his emotions in check.
I’m sorry, I just don’t see it. The players the Blues are committing to are rather unimpressive to me.
Buchnevich is going to be a big disappointment. The only one who looks to have some star potential is Jordan Kyrou.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
who?

I don’t really see the comparable d man to Bailey or even someone who is a little bit better. McDonough is the only one that comes to mind and TBY and NYI are not going to make any deals with one another.

What do you mean...Comparable to Bailey? When you trade a player you don't need a comparable player back...And I don't even know how you compare a forward to a d-man.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I wouldn’t be so quick to write Binnington’s obituary just yet
He's imploded b2b seasons and the direct reason that team is not advancing anywhere. He went on a tear, won them a Cup, but in the end he's just another version of Jake Allen in STL. Medicore goaltending that they over committed to.

Reactions: MJF

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Not a chance we should be in on Suter if he wants four years.

Totally agree, but...

Not a chance any team should've given Marleau a 3-year deal in free agency in 2017...But Lou did. Then Dubas had to trade a 1st to Carolina to dump that 3rd year.

Lou is aggressive, but sometimes too aggressive. You have to make smart deals, and my concern is that we are an "all in/should go for it" team right now and while I'll do most anything for a Cup, if you don't get the Cup and are saddled with long-term expensive deals, it will hurt you for years to come.

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
And thus why I said, "Bailey + something" for a D-man.

Bailey makes $5M. That something would need to be very significant and the team would have to want and have a need for Bailey in the first place. They also would have to be willing to give up a top 4 d man whiule most teams are scrambling and overpaying right now for top 4 d-man.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I’m sorry, I just don’t see it. The players the Blues are committing to are rather unimpressive to me.
Buchnevich is going to be a big disappointment. The only one who looks to have some star potential is Jordan Kyrou.

I appreciate your opinion, but looking at the Blues moves they obviously feel differently-especially on Buchnevich, who they just acquired and is obvious replacement for Tank.

Parayko is a UFA and they obviously can’t lose him after losing Pietroangelo.

so, to answer your original question - yes they are absolutely contending. You may see these moves as moving backwards, but it doesn’t mean They are not rebuilding.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Totally agree, but...

Not a chance any team should've given Marleau a 3-year deal in free agency in 2017...But Lou did. Then Dubas had to trade a 1st to Carolina to dump that 3rd year.

Lou is aggressive, but sometimes too aggressive. You have to make smart deals, and my concern is that we are an "all in/should go for it" team right now and while I'll do most anything for a Cup, if you don't get the Cup and are saddled with long-term expensive deals, it will hurt you for years to come.
I'll defend that deal - He overpaid Marleau to come to Toronto to mentor Mathews & Co. Dubas needed to trade him away bc of, well, we all know why and so far, it looks like Dubas made the error, not Lou. Lou brought adults in the room to guide those kids. If TOR just spent $5M on a D-man, everything is status quo, if not better...

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Totally agree, but...

I have zero issue with being aggressive while the window is open. However, there is a fine line between being aggressive and being reckless. I know Lou has handed out bad deals, but with how well he’s managed clearing cap this year- I just don’t see him putting him self right back into a bad situation.

Reactions: periferal

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Your opinion or was something reported?

I can certainly see a Bailey and Panik (or Hickey not sure Blues want this player) for Tank trade - gets the numbers close.

Adding Tank and Palmieri > Bailey and Eberle

also younger

Heard that Blues did not like what has been offered so far and wants to hold on to him longer so he can prove that he is healthy enough to play in order to get better return on the market. This means Isles will need to either throw in a 1st round pick or return a top 6 forward. Will Blues like Bails enough or would Isles willing to part with him? Also I doubt Blues want to retain much salary so Isles will have to let someone else go (maybe like Casey) in order to resign Beau, Pelech, Sorokin and a replacement LHD for this year. This is especially true if they are also onto Palms and Parise???. I do prefer Tank coming here instead of Landy because he is better at scoring (if healthy) and his contract only last 2 more years so there will be enough cap room left to resign Dobson and Barzal down the road. However with Ebs, Bails both gone, should Tanks not able to play as expected then the goal scoring will suffer and with Casey gone the defense will also suffer. Think Isles need to get some insurance by acquiring a prospect with some scoring potential coming back either in the same deal or a different one.

Seeing that both 2022 and 2023 are strong drafts both with some high end players and Isles did not pick in 1st round last couple of seasons, I think Lou will be very reluctant to trade their 1st round away this year and will only reluctantly do so at trading deadline if absolutely required.

Last edited:

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
There's a report in a Landy thread on the main board, that the Avs offered him $5.5.
Now,while I think that's a little low, I am even more surprised at the idea of a team offering him $9m per.
His agent is trying to create a UFA frenzy for him to drive the price up and also expand the list of suitors. COL is holding steady. COL will be in the right here - they should let him walk based on those numbers. They have better players on their roster already.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Bailey makes $5M. That something would need to be very significant and the team would have to want and have a need for Bailey in the first place.

Well there are no doubt teams who have interest in Bailey. He was our #2 scorer this year.

Also you could retain salary in a deal and then another team could get a 15/35 top-6 forward for maybe 3M which is cheap.

Or the Isles could take on a D-man who makes more than Bailey and then trade Komarov to offset the difference.

Point is...It's not so black and white.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
What do you mean...Comparable to Bailey? When you trade a player you don't need a comparable player back...And I don't even know how you compare a forward to a d-man.

Comparable in terms of age, skill, and cap. What team is willing to give up a top 4 dman and taking on top 6 F on the wrong side of 30 with 3 years left. A team that has a top 4 d man who is on the wrong side of 30 with multiple years left on his contract

the premise of your suggestion is trade Bailey + for a d man, which is a great suggestion, so I am asking who can that dman be?
And what is the plus?

which is why I ask for a comparable player to Bailey.

If the + is a prospect like Bolduc or a #1, then the player is not comparable and that player is like a Hanifin? Ekholm?

if that plus is not that high of an asset, then that player is like a McDonough (can’t see TBY trading him)? Edmundson (Habs need d, don’t see him available)?Fowler (full NTC)?

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I think you Guys need to temper back. I think LL is keeping RFAs, we probably see Parise and Palimieri, and that’s all. Maybe Tarensenko. Probably low chance. Landeskog isn’t coming. Worry about the defenseman that shakes loose. Other than that, if anyone is expecting more, it’s going to be a rough week
I'm probably one of the worst offenders when it comes to throwing around names, but I'm really just saying stuff that I think could happen or, maybe more accurately, that in theory would work. Kinda like the OEL/Garland combo that did end up happening (with VC). Ultimately I tend to agree with the voices of moderation (like your post) that say it may be a "Lou's guys" week.

Having said that, I would still like Romanov somehow. :)

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
Well there are no doubt teams who have interest in Bailey. He was our #2 scorer this year.

Also you could retain salary in a deal and then another team could get a 15/35 top-6 forward for maybe 3M which is cheap.

Or the Isles could take on a D-man who makes more than Bailey and then trade Komarov to offset the difference.

Point is...It's not so black and white.

Yes, but the other point is top 4 d-man are in great demand right now if you have been watching the market. It just is unlikely that Bailey is going to get it done right now without giving up significant additional capital.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad