Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2021-22 Pt. III - Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Continue on...

Previous thread: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2021-22 Pt. II - Expansion Draft Edition

Last post from previous thread:

Playing around with the armchair GM on Capfriendly and boy do we have a ton of space.

1. Trade 2021 Third and 2022 Second to Buffalo to take Komarov and Hickey
2. Sign Landeskog 8.25M x 7
3. Sign Pelech 5.5M x 7
4. Sign Palmieri 4.25M x 4 (same as Toffoli last season)
5. Sign Beau 4Mx4
6. Sign Cizikas 3.25M x 5
7. Sign Sorokin 3M x 2 (same as Ned)
7. Sign Edler 2M x 2

Team looks like this:

scott99

May 13, 2005

Of course this is all postering to get a better return. Basically, they want the situation look like they are dealing from strength, when in reality, they are dealing from weakness, they know they have to trade him and get whatever they can get.

Reactions: Tres Peleches

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

A Blues fan on the main board had a great perspective /thought on a Tank trade based on what other teams are currently proposing.

"I don't see any reason at this point to force a bad deal to satisfy the player's demand. At this point, if you keep the player and don't move him, I only see three possible outcomes.

1. He holds out, gets suspended without pay, and the league allows the team to remove his cap hit. That opens up the space to bring in another player.

2. He shows up to camp with a chip on his shoulder and plays well enough at the beginning of the season to generate interest in reasonable offers as teams around the league see him as being back to a level that interests them and creates a competition for his services.

3. He shows up to camp with a chip on his shoulder but struggles because he can no longer do the things he used to do after three surgeries on the same shoulder, and realizes that he either needs to shut up and give the team whatever he is capable of or decide he's had enough and LTIRetire, again opening up cap space for the team to bring in another player.

I see absolutely no reason for GMDA to trade him for whatever he can get before camp, especially if it means retaining a significant amount of salary and/or being burdened with a bad contract."

Reactions: MJF

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
A Blues fan on the main board had a great perspective /thought on a Tank trade based on what other teams are currently proposing.

"I don't see any reason at this point to force a bad deal to satisfy the player's demand. At this point, if you keep the player and don't move him, I only see three possible outcomes.

1. He holds out, gets suspended without pay, and the league allows the team to remove his cap hit. That opens up the space to bring in another player.

2. He shows up to camp with a chip on his shoulder and plays well enough at the beginning of the season to generate interest in reasonable offers as teams around the league see him as being back to a level that interests them and creates a competition for his services.

3. He shows up to camp with a chip on his shoulder but struggles because he can no longer do the things he used to do after three surgeries on the same shoulder, and realizes that he either needs to shut up and give the team whatever he is capable of or decide he's had enough and LTIRetire, again opening up cap space for the team to bring in another player.

I see absolutely no reason for GMDA to trade him for whatever he can get before camp, especially if it means retaining a significant amount of salary and/or being burdened with a bad contract."

they left out a 4th option where he plays like shit but does not retire. It’s called the Ladd path

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

they left out a 4th option where he plays like shit but does not retire. It’s called the Ladd path

Bingo.

He can become a distraction or a locker room problem if he's left to fester. Maybe he's not the 30 goal scorer he once was, but he can still score 15 a year...that's a problem for St. Louis because they'll be carrying that cap hit and teams will want him less.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Bingo.

He can become a distraction or a locker room problem if he's left to fester. Maybe he's not the 30 goal scorer he once was, but he can still score 15 a year...that's a problem for St. Louis because they'll be carrying that cap hit and teams will want him less.

Also, It might be too late for teams he wants to go to because most will have built their team and can no longer fit Tank - even at 50% retained.

this could be Armstrong posturing and it’s very transparent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Throttle

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
super leary on Tarasenko. I know our fortunes have turned, but acquiring our first star player from outside the org. in seemingly forever, to only then have him be a shell of his former self, sounds about like the most LOLanders thing to ever happen to the franchise.

I know it's not in the cards, and I know there are cheaper options and we should be spending the bulk of our $ on a forward, but I'd LOVE to sign Dougie Hamilton. What a beastly defense this would be if we could get him on board.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Isles go for Tarasenko, the math doesn't add up to me barring the Isles move Bailey. Which can still happen, it's going to be interesting. I am 90% expecting a Parise move. The Suter with many teams interested has me thinking this could go 50-50.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Bingo.

Also, It might be too late for teams he wants to go to because most will have built their team and can no longer fit Tank - even at 50% retained.

this could be Armstrong posturing and it’s very transparent.

Which is why I keep seeing a Boychuck and Sweetener/s for Tarasenko as a clear path. Since any deal that St. Louis makes will require taking back salary and/or retaining.

This allows them to NOT retain AND the salary they do bring back can go on LTIR for one year gone the next. St. Louis resolves any possible distractions and can get moving on the rest of their Summer.

From the Isles perspective, they have to be really sold on him getting back to a 25-35 goal level, or they are kind of treading water for the next two years. That part is worrisome.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007

There's a 4th alternative -- Let's call it the Ladd option. Shows up to camp, everyone but he realizes he's a shadow of himself (or he realizes it but doesn't care as he want to collect his paycheck), completely destroying what little trade value he had. St. Louis is then faced with either $7.5m of dead cap, an expensive buy out, or throwing in picks/prospects to have a team like AZ take him of their hands for nothing.

Honestly, all along, this is one player I thought we should stay away from. Yeah, if back to where he was, a terrific add. If not, Ladd 2.0, and after seeing the first version:
do-not-want-dog.jpg

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Tank's value hasn't completely 'tanked' yet, and even though there is less will to gamble because of the cap, they'll still be some teams that get desperate when trades and UFA are said and done. Armstrong needs to let the receiving team gamble and not be the one to gamble. Because if Tank is never the same again then they lose.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
super leary on Tarasenko. I know our fortunes have turned, but acquiring our first star player from outside the org. in seemingly forever, to only then have him be a shell of his former self, sounds about like the most LOLanders thing to ever happen to the franchise.

I know it's not in the cards, and I know there are cheaper options and we should be spending the bulk of our $ on a forward, but I'd LOVE to sign Dougie Hamilton. What a beastly defense this would be if we could get him on board.

I agree with both of your points. Tarasenko seems like the exact over-the-hill type star that Snow would try and land and even though we have RHD depth up the wazoo Hamilton would be a fantastic Leddy replacement from a stylistic standpoint.

What about Mayfield for Soucy (Seattle pick from MIN) and then sign Hamilton?

Pelech-Pulock
Soucy-Hamilton
Greene-Dobson

That would just be an insane defense to play against based on size alone...

Reactions: Isles Junkie

Macch

Mar 22, 2010

I'm all for having a stacked D. Still don't think we should overlook replacing Leddy's offensive production. But hard pass on Hamilton. Something very Matt Duchene about him.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Of course this is all postering to get a better return. Basically, they want the situation look like they are dealing from strength, when in reality, they are dealing from weakness, they know they have to trade him and get whatever they can get.
100% - when the GM keeps talking about it, he’s desperate.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The 5th option is the grump: I don’t want to be here, I asked for a trade a long time ago, I’ll play, but really don’t want to be here. Great for morale.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

You’ve can’t say no to Tank, then yes to Hamilton. That makes zero sense considering one guy is gonna be on his 4/5th team already with known albeit unclear relationship/teammate/lockerrrom issues. The other guy just wants out for whatever reason. This whole your dr vs my dr is some agent created Bs.

SI

Feb 16, 2013

This would be insane -

Beau, Dobson, 2022 #1, and Wahlstrom?
Is that even enough?

Lee Barzal Palmieri
Nelson Eichel Bailey

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Up next…Staple article on ‘hearing’ the Isles on Eichel or the ‘3’ options being explored…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad