Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2021-22 Pt. III - Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Nick Ritchie as LW3 might be really awesome!

He would be a really good bottom6 guy. The problem might be he maybe looking for 2nd line type of money. He scored a t a really good clip last year. Would be a decent guy to have though.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

217410125_1881826481974073_5285624620959761419_n.jpg

Good for him. He already has close to 1M in sales? Lou is not going to be able to afford him soon.

;)

Reactions: leeroggy

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
None of our six defenseman (and we basically went the whole season with them) were in the top 40 in minutes among blueliners.

One would assume both Pelech and Pulock could etch closer to there, and get their 23-24 minutes a night and even Mayfield (for me anyway) matured in the playoffs and may be ready for 20-22 as well.

Noah is the key though. We know he can play both sides, but it is of course preferable if he stays on his natural one. That being said, he too could see a significant rise in minutes, perhaps also challenging for 18-20 himself.

I agree that ideally would be replacing Leddy with a pure 20-22 minute LD, but perhaps a couple to put into the Greene, Hickey (assuming he returns) and Aho mix is not entirely bad. One could also assume that both Salo and Bloduc will get long looks this fall as well.

Add two bodies at 3-4 million or give Suter 4 years? I cringe more at the thought of the later

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
We were all wondering which teams would take on cap hits with so many teams like us needing to shed contracts. Turns out Arizona was the answer for every team.
One has to question whether with AZ moving to the Central they are going to relocate to Houston. All the attention has been on Vegas and Seattle entering the league. Nothing seems to be working in AZ as a franchise (not the location). The NHL wants to stay there, but the team is running on life support for 20 years.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Be it an RFA or a UFA, never underestimate how much value a player will place on winning and being somewhere with a Cup truly in site, in an organization clearly dedicated to going for the trophy.

Our guys, and many players around the league, have seen us bow out in wonderful battles to the eventual SC winner two seasons in a row.

You can bet your bottom dollar that guys who can see themselves putting us over the top or wanting to remain cogs in this effort are NOT going to skip out on that opportunity because they could get a million more elsewhere or another year or two tagged onto their contract.

Not when the goal I just described above is so damn close.

SIDENOTE:
Both Parise and Suter have more money than they'll ever need. They are set for life, as are their families. At their age, their SOLE reason to continue to play is to get that cup. There is no other goal. So let's see just how much they see us as the team to do it with.

Reactions: TommytheCat and JKP

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
None of our six defenseman (and we basically went the whole season with them) were in the top 40 in minutes among blueliners.

One would assume both Pelech and Pulock could etch closer to there, and get their 23-24 minutes a night and even Mayfield (for me anyway) matured in the playoffs and may be ready for 20-22 as well.

Noah is the key though. We know he can play both sides, but it is of course preferable if he stays on his natural one. That being said, he too could see a significant rise in minutes, perhaps also challenging for 18-20 himself.

I agree that ideally would be replacing Leddy with a pure 20-22 minute LD, but perhaps a couple to put into the Greene, Hickey (assuming he returns) and Aho mix is not entirely bad. One could also assume that both Salo and Bloduc will get long looks this fall as well.

Add two bodies at 3-4 million or give Suter 4 years? I cringe more at the thought of the later

Noah is the "key," but the smartest thing in the world is to sign 1-2 additional D-men so that Dobson can play top-4 minutes when he's ready. He wasn't ready as of the playoffs when you could see that Trotz was hiding him as best he could.

Now there aren't many 20+ minute d-men out there to be had in FA, but Suter was playing 22 minutes just last year so his vet presence would be very much welcome for at least year 1. The question is when his legs go and when they do it will be very quick. Surely it will happen over the next 3 years, which is why a 4 year deal is almost certainly just paying for dead money.

Wondering if Lou can give Suter the 4 years, but structure the last 2 years to be team favorable if bought out.

MichaelK

Mar 13, 2004
Some fans can never move past the dumpster diving days. Who on our team would these guys Detroit’s svechnikov , athanasiou, pious suter play over. These guys are not going to do anything for us.

I don’t think it is so much fans reliving dumpster diving days, as nobody is saying ignore the top talent to take these guys. I think it is people wanting to cut costs of depth guys to add more money to elite players. If you replace Komarov with a player making $1M or less that is a lot of savings. Ideally it would be an in house guy, but Dal Colle, Koivula, and Bellows have not progressed as we would have liked.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Be it an RFA or a UFA, never underestimate how much value a player will place on winning and being somewhere with a Cup truly in site, in an organization clearly dedicated to going for the trophy.

Our guys, and many players around the league, have seen us bow out in wonderful battles to the eventual SC winner two seasons in a row.

You can bet your bottom dollar that guys who can see themselves putting us over the top or wanting to remain cogs in this effort are NOT going to skip out on that opportunity because they could get a million more elsewhere or another year or two tagged onto their contract.

Not when the goal I just described above is so damn close.

SIDENOTE:
Both Parise and Suter have more money than they'll ever need. They are set for life, as are their families. At their age, their SOLE reason to continue to play is to get that cup. There is no other goal. So let's see just how much they see us as the team to do it with.

This ain't a great take. You don't know what Parise/Suter's personal lives look like currently or their goals are nor more than you know their current bank accounts, who they take care of, or their overall expenses.

Did you have any clue about Jack Johnson's financial situation when it was announced he was bankrupt in 2014?

By positioning this Suter/Parise argument as them wanting to play for a winner as the sole reason for their decisions is some combination of uninformed, unnuanced, or totally tunnel-visioned. Maybe they didn't save well, maybe they're taking care of more family members than just their wife and kids, maybe they want to buy their own 100 million dollar island, or maybe they have the kind of ego that doesn't want to admit their careers are coming to an end and want more money/longer term.

It's certainly nice to be in the position we are now as that of contenders - And not treading water pretenders who are the joke of the league. But let's not get ahead of ourselves and think that because we're a contender that bends all arrows to (quality) free agents signing with us. Their personal decisions are just that - Personal. And we don't know all that goes into them.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I like what they’re doing though. Take bad Contracts while you’re building and getting younger. Get as much assets as you can.

Bingo. The fact that Seattle didn't make a single of these deals shows you what kind of GM they're dealing with up there.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
ARZ also gets Kolyachonok. I wanted him in the draft a few years ago. Kid is a tough defender.

Maybe Lou can call them up:

"Hey Armstrong...Remember those 'future considerations' we got in the Ladd deal...???"

Reactions: SI90

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Some fans can never move past the dumpster diving days. Who on our team would these guys Detroit’s svechnikov , athanasiou, pious suter play over. These guys are not going to do anything for us.

I never want to see Dal Colle, Johnston, or Czarnak to ever play another game, so I'd like as much insurance in terms of depth to ensure that doesn't happen.

Reactions: TXNYI

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
My issue with that is he was Toews' replacement
Dobson’s play in the bubble last year made Toews expendable.

Noah Dobson is 21 years old. Still not a fully formed defenseman yet, but the signs of his high upside were evident before he caught COVID.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad